Visconti Rembrandt Eco Roller

jandrese

This is a very short review of the Visconti Rembrandt Eco Roller in the Ivory pattern. While not a fountain pen it does use fountain pen ink so it deserves a review here. The roller ball tip is, I think, made by Schmidt and is said to be better quality than that supplied on the Monteverde Mega Ink Ball Roller pen. The pen is supplied with one or two extra tip sections and they are easy to swap out. Construction quality is very high as you might expect from Visconti. The size of the pen is medium/large, somewhat like a Pelikan 600. The cap has a magnetic style closure, which is very secure and the clip is typical Visconti and quite functional. The color of the pen is not so yellow as depicted here--I tried to bring out the pattern in the material--but is whiter with less obvious color streaks.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1004/5187115457_870644fe61_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4088/5187714796_8bdb16ecff_b.jpg

The roller tip writes a steady and somewhat wet medium line. The feeling is smooth and little pressure is required to start ink flow. The ink flow and feel of the tip on paper is much better than any roller refill unit I’ve tried. As expected the tip does not substantially dry out if the pen is left uncapped for at least as long as 15 minutes. While I have not tried to change colors, Noodler’s Black has been the staple, it may take a lot of effort swap colors because it may difficult to flush out previous colors. Swapping tip sections is probably a better idea. I don’t know how long the tip is supposed to last but I’ve run through at least seven fills without sign of tip failure.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1288/5187714866_ae47ddcf4a_b.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1022/5187115755_51c8111660_b.jpg

I’m not sure if this is a fountain pen killer. Probably not. I still prefer my fountain pens but this attractive pen has a lot uses, and is much more economical than using roller refills. Highly recommended.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jandrese

• JEBennett

• Tribrach

• mathguy

I doubt it is a fountain pen killer, just a very good rollerball for the times we feel like using one.

That barrel material looks beautiful up close, too.

Excellent review. My wife has one and loves it-it writes beautifully and is easy to refill. If the tip lasts, it's definitely a standard rollerball killer-it will pay for itself just in avoided refill costs.

There are times when a rollerball really is better suited to the purpose at hand. I've been lusting after one of these for some time now, but keep telling myself I can have it when the refill runs out on my present Visconti RB--the name of which I can't remember for the life of me. It's a little demonstrator, anyway. Of course, given the rate that I use it, I'll be dead from old age before that refill is exhausted, but that's another matter entirely.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

I have one. Nicely sized and balanced. Still like my FPs. But the strength of this vs. a rollerball is the option to use whatever ink you please. One tip. Refill by removing the filler and fill directly. Don't draw the ink directly through the "nib".

I see it as more of a compliment to, and not a replacement of fountain pens. No matter how you see it, this just might help me write my way through all that Noodler's bulletproof ink I've got sitting here.

I’m not sure if this is a fountain pen killer. Probably not. I still prefer my fountain pens but this attractive pen has a lot uses, and is much more economical than using roller refills. Highly recommended.

I'm sure that it is NOT. Thanks for this nice review.

Cogitamus non ideam sed per ideam.

The info I have second-hand from Visconti is that the tips are supposed to be good for 20 fills before you have to replace them.

this sounds bad... i think... :hmm1:

The info I have second-hand from Visconti is that the tips are supposed to be good for 20 fills before you have to replace them.

this sounds bad... i think... :hmm1:

What it comes down to, I think, is if that number is supposed to represent "ideal" conditions, or if that accounts for all the people who don't clean their pens (i.e. cartridge-only users who run 20 carts with no rinse through the thing) or not. I can't imagine the ball would wear out that quickly, but even Noodler's stylographic pen takes replacement points, so I dunno. Maybe someone needs to make the ball for the tip out of iridium? ;)

• 3 weeks later...

very elegant roller ball but it has one disadvange.you need to replace the tip!thats raises the cost of writing.does anyone knows how much does costs that tip?maby its the same cost finally with the normal roller ball .the factories must find a life time quarantee tip .fp have not afraid nothing for now.

I think I saw on another thread that the tips run about $12 US, but I may be mistaken. My wife doesn't care about the tip wearing out on her pen. The convenience of a roller ball combined with the choices of ink and the reliable flow has her sold on this pen. She won't give it up.

• 2 months later...

Nice Review. I like to have a pen from every major manufacturer in my collection. So, I recently added the Visconti Eco Roller to my collection. I thought I would start with the Eco Roller from Visconti as their FPs are a bit expensive and I have added about 40 fountain pens to my collect in the last 6 months and I can only spend so much on Pelikans, Montblancs, Parkers, Lamy, Waterman etc. Plus, I love the unusual - I have all the models of Pilot / Nakami vanishing points - the original VP, the Fermo and the Decimo. Plus, I have the Lamy Dialog 3. So, the Visconti fits right in as being unusual.

I have had mixed results. Tried both the converter and the cartridge. Tried Waterman Florida blue, then Pelikan Royal Blue. It appeared the nib was bad. After about 10 calls to the US distributor, I finally got a replacement Nib. Now, I am using it with the Visconti cartridge. Again, mixed results. I cleaned the nib in warm water, and now it seems fine, maybe even a bit better than fine - I like it.

In terms of flow, I find the Lamy Swift by far the best rollerball out there, period. Then, I find Sheaffer's RBs to be quite smooth. Next is MontBlac Le Grand RB. Then Waterman. I would say the Eco Roller is a bit better than the terrible Parker Rollerballs. It is on par with Lamy's Studio / All Star Rollerball.

All that said, the Visconti is a beautiful Pen - I find the Italians are typically the style leader in all things - cars, watches, clothes, shoes, interior design and pens. Visconti, Delta, Aurora are my favorites in asthetics.

Hope this quick review is helpful.

Same pen , ...recently syringe filled cart with Noodler's NSW aka BSiAR....shading was a great surprise. R-B is still going strong after 4 mos.I don't use the converter at all.

Edited by SnowLeopard

• 2 months later...

I purchased this pen in black in March and I absolutely love it. It is the perfect blend of style for my work environment. When I would use a fountain pen, it drew too much attention but this jewel let's me have all the benefits of a FP without drawing too much attention..

I tested one of these today...I thought I knew what my next purchase was going to be...yeah, that changed today! haha. I'll wait a month or so before I get it though. Tuition and books first. :(

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am shopping for a gift pen. My wife eyed this one in a catalogue. She travels a lot and does not use her FP I gave her years ago because of airline travel leakage issues. Will this pen, being a fillable rollerball, have the same high altitude flight leaking issues?

Thanks for your guidance.

I have not had flying issues with the eco roller, nor any modern fountain pen. Sure, any fountain pen not full, or near full has a chance of leaking at high altitude, but the eco roller may be more resistant. Only pens like the Pilot custom 823 are safe because they can be totally sealed.