Diamine Oxblood

shaylenwilliams

This ink is exactly what I wanted it to be. It is currently my favorite, and even though I have plenty of new offerings waiting in the wings, I've inked up with Oxblood twice in a row. I was lucky enough to have a friend send me a written sample of this ink before purchasing it, so that I could see it in person. I am so in love with the color, it looks just like fresh, oxygenated blood. It is an absolutely gorgeous dark red, great for Fall and the Holiday Season. There is enough "blue" to this to make it a brilliant, true red, and keep it from leaning towards brown. There's also not so much blue that this leans toward burgundy or purple.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_doL1DRM7HpI/TOIgw9MuMMI/AAAAAAAAAEI/67Kti8AmmtI/s1600/DiamineOxbloodCloseUp.jpg

Flow is very good with this ink, especially in my new Sheaffer Imperial that I put it in today. There is no feathering or bleed-through in a Lamy Safari 1.1 italic nib, but my medium Sheaffer nib is so wet that it does feather very slightly on Rhodia. Dry time is not great, but not really much worse than any other ink I've used. Waterproof-ness is on par for a non-waterproof ink. This is a super saturated, dark ink, so shading isn't very apparent.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_doL1DRM7HpI/TOIgqnUXsVI/AAAAAAAAAEE/D8s4DL1r8hg/s1600/DiamineOxbloodwrittenreview.jpg

I can't say enough good things about this ink, it matches my new pen wonderfully, and the two together put me on cloud nine. It resembles Noodler's Tiananmen quite a bit, but I just like Oxblood better. It can be seen here alongside other inks that I have, mind you these samples are dip-pen written.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_doL1DRM7HpI/TN7rx8mdMoI/AAAAAAAAAEA/DTUrQU_j0rU/s1600/upclosepinksred2.jpg

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shaylenwilliams

• lapis

• Northwoods

• j3po

Perhaps... But not as nasty as say, Hepatitis-riddled blood.

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

Thanks for the nice review. Above all, great comparisons. (I can't live without comparisons of every kind.)

BTW "Oxblood" is a good ol' term used for exactly that type of colour -- often with a pinch more of brown -- for part of the outside of our metro / tube carriages (U-Bahn) here in Berlin. The other half of each carriage is ochre (a creamy dark yellow). The oxblood colour was also used for the paint colour of many wooden floors at home here 100 years ago.

MIke

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thanks for your review!

"Red Dragon" is already on my desk but I think "Oxblood" will join very soon :)

"If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat." Douglas Adams

Thanks for your review!

"Red Dragon" is already on my desk but I think "Oxblood" will join very soon :)

I couldn't decide between these too, I *think* that Oxblood is significantly darker. I absolutely love it though. I re-inked with it for the third time today, and I still have about 5 bottles of ink (at least) that I haven't tried in a pen at all... so that shows you how good this stuff is.

The Poor Connoisseurs

Isn't the name of the ink a little 'gross'?

As a color name, it's been in use for centuries...

I think it sounds a bit more medaeval that anything else. That being said, lashings of gore seems to have accompanies practically everything in the middle ages.

Now that I think of it, it sort of does sound medieval or magical. It reminds me of the names of the inks that some modern witchcraft practitioners use like, "Bat's Blood", "Dragon's Blood", "Dove's Blood". Like this: http://www.alchemy-works.com/supplies_magick_inks.html

A little eccentric, but interesting nonetheless.

The above shall not be construed as legal advice under any circumstances