Way Of Sealing Up My Re-filled Cartridges?

MassTahDohn

So as a student I am unable to carry around a bottle of ink around with me, and buying new cartridges is REALLY expensive on the amount of pay I get. I have around 24 cartridges in a plastic bag, 1 empty, 22 waiting to be used 1 in use. And I was wondering, is there a way of sealing up the cartridges after I inject the ink into them? Because I am very mobile and am at school so they can't just leak everywhere.

Any suggestions on a sealer for my cartridges?

Also, all of my ink and pens are at my moms house as opposed to my dads (parents are divorced) and I spend 5 days or so away from my moms, so no ink or cartridges. There have been some instances where I have used up a whole cartridge in 5 hours. (13 pages of notes combined, and 3 full pages of writing) So I cannot just leave them at home, I NEED to bring them with me.

Edit for more info

Edited by MassTahDohn

Every time there is a negative in life there is always a positive. A failed test, a relationship gone sour. Whatever it may be, your life is not over. If you dwell on the negative you can`t see the world with the right eyes. There is a positive in every moment, even if it is small. Try your whole life to find that positive and live off of it and you will be loved. My blog... Check it!!!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MassTahDohn

• Phormula

• Bo Bo Olson

• hobobaggins

I have no ready answer for you, but I have an advise:

Be very careful not to use sticky stuff as it could get into the feed of your pen and cause serious damage.

Best bet would be a small container (like these old photographic filmroll containers), put in as many carts as possible side by side and use some rubber stopper on top.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I have no ready answer for you, but I have an advise:

Be very careful not to use sticky stuff as it could get into the feed of your pen and cause serious damage.

Best bet would be a small container (like these old photographic filmroll containers), put in as many carts as possible side by side and use some rubber stopper on top.

D.ick

That's the problem, nothing sticky... I might try to film one, but that needs to be upright, unless I jam something in the bottom to make it as tight as possible. I might try that!

Every time there is a negative in life there is always a positive. A failed test, a relationship gone sour. Whatever it may be, your life is not over. If you dwell on the negative you can`t see the world with the right eyes. There is a positive in every moment, even if it is small. Try your whole life to find that positive and live off of it and you will be loved. My blog... Check it!!!

Could you just get a converter and carry around a bottle of ink?

ron

Nope!!! I'm in highschool. Not really a possibility there

A steel or rubber needle syringe will allow you to fill up a cartridge. That will slow down the use of new cartridges some what.

I have no idea how to seal one.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I suggest that you get a Pelikan Level L5 Fountain Pen and Reservoir system. It is moderately priced, the pen has an impressive ink capacity and the way the pen fills from the bottle ensures no leakage and it is cool.

Try to carry two pens and make sure they are always filled the night before.

"Once committed to fight, cut. Everything else is secondary. Cut. That is your duty, your purpose, your hunger. There is no rule more important, no commitment that overrides that one. Cut. Cut from the void, not from bewilderment. Cut the enemy as quickly and directly as possible. Cut decisively, resolutely. Cut into the enemy's strength. Flow through the gaps in his guard. Cut him. Cut him down utterly. Don't allow him a breath. Crush him. Cut him without mercy to the depths of his spirit."

Maybe put some scotch tape over the end until you're ready to use them, and store them in a film canister that you can make sure stays upright in your bag.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s1600/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Do you really go through an entire cartridge in one day? A cartridge is a lot of ink. When I was in high school (not that long ago) I didn't write enough to empty a Lamy, Waterman, or Montblanc converter. Maybe try a converter and just fill at home. Make sure it's full before going to school.

Other people are suggesting you get other pens, but as you are a student, and are having difficulties paying for cartridges, I would suggest you just refill the ones you have. You mentioned that you have one in use, 22 in a plastic bag, and 1 empty. I would leave your bag at home to prevent your reserve cartridges bursting (I broke stuff in my bag all the time in HS). I would however carry around one spare cartridge in another bag, in the case you run out in school. Otherwise, do as Bo Bo said and refill your "in use" cartridge every night before school (you'll have to get a bottle of ink, no ways around that... unless you want to bleed into your reservoir. Remember to take out the thrombocytes to prevent aggregation and clotting of your ink-blood!). This way, you will drastically decrease the number of cartridges you do use.

I would still look for a converter though.

Fountain Pen Converts: 4

How about sealing wax - the kind that is usually melted onto the back of envelopes to receive the imprint on a brass seal? If the wax was just slightly sofened and scraped onto the open end of a cart it might plug the opening adequately. The issue will, of course, be getting the wax out (completely) when ready to use the cart. If not all is removed the pen's feed will be in jeopardy.

PLease understand - I've not tried this fix, it's just a mental inventive exercise. However, if it works -

D.C.

D.C. in PA - Always bitin' off more than I can chew.

I wouldn't trust sealing wax. If it is thin enough to push through, it is probably thin enough to break on its own. Also couldn't it cause trouble if it fragments and clogs the pen? (note: am no expert on sealing wax)

Fountain Pen Converts: 4

I just bought a few bags of different sized, very small rubber stoppers that fit cartridges - they are currently being tested out for leaks in some platinum cartridges. If you tell me what cartridge size you're using (international or proprietary brand) I'll send you some of those. Others have said great things about them and they seem to be perfect. Message me for more details.

-Will

I agree with hobobaggins, take the habit of filling the cartridge each evening, so you start the next day with a full reservoir of ink, and then bring a couple spares. If you start each day with a filled cartridge, the chances you will need a second one the same day are close to zero. If your pen takes international cartridges, you can try the long ones, which give you a lot of reservoir. If filling cartridges every evening is cumbersome, fill three-four of them at a time and seal them with parafilm (if you have access to) or, like I did in the past, look around yourself and try to find something that fits. I was able to find some small plastic nails that made perfect caps once I cut them to the appropriate lenght. This will bring you refilling habit to one time per week.

Don't take life too seriously

Nobody makes it out alive anyway

I would suggest investing approx. $6 to purchase a Preppy pen that has been converted into an eyedropper. It will hold more than enough ink for MANY days.

Here's a theory:

Buy a TWSBI, and a bottle of Noodler's Bulletproof Black. You satisfy your problem, and your pen appetite at the same time! By the by, the TWSBI has an impressive amount of ink, I, being in High School myself, use it regularly, in both of my AP courses, which are, for the most part, just a lot of taking notes, and it can last for nearly a week without being emptied. Or you could get a Noodler's fountain pen in clear so that it should not smell, and you can see the amount of ink left. Or, maybe a Dollar fountain pen, a piston-filler naturally. Basically, nearly any kind of piston filler would be better for your problem.