Review Of

Randal6393

Was chatting with Lord Croft a few days ago and he asked if I would review his new ink, Knights Templar Ink -- Blue Madonna. I said I would, he sent me a few milliliters of Blue Madonna, and -- well, here is a quick look at the ink.

The Handwritten Review

Text of the Review:

November 6, 2010

Pen 1: Sheaffer NoNonsense Italic Fine (Wet)

Pen 2: Parker Latitude Medium -> Italic (Dry)

Color: A pretty turquoise-class blue. No feathering, bleeding, or excessive spreading on this paper (CANE FIELDS Paper from sugar cane fiber copy paper) Ink is a solid ink -- does not shade much at all.

Comparison: The ink under study, compared to some common inks. See The Handwritten Review above. Color-wise, Lord Croft has succeeded. The blue he was aiming for was a vibrant, turquoise blue that duplicated the draperies in Renaissance paintings. His ink is an excellent addition to this class of inks. As far as the common characteristics that make an ink work, this is also a success. Very good coverage, minimal feathering and bleeding, great flow.

Price: As noted in the "Inky Thoughts" thread, KTI-BM is an expensive, boutique ink. Flows smoothly, excellent coverage. Looks to be towards the high end of modern ink saturation. (IMHO, Noodler Navajo Turquoise is more saturated.) So, some care in maintenance is indicated -- clean pens out once a quarter? Once a month?

Conclusion: If you like unusual inks of high quality, this may be the ink for you. Especially if you are looking for a possible replacement for Penman Sapphire. Would recommend using in a fine, slightly dry pen.

OVERALL: I had an excellent time using this ink. It is a great addition to any desk's collection of inks. Am looking forward to seeing what else Lord Croft comes out with, hope he is a commercial success and gives Nathan a bit of competition.

Edited by Randal6393

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randal6393

• parkerstylo

• Signum1

• TWRDO

Top Posters In This Topic

Was chatting with Lord Croft a few days ago and he asked if I would review his new ink, Knights Templar Ink -- Blue Madonna. I said I would, he sent me a few milliliters of Blue Madonna, and -- well, here is a quick look at the ink.

The Handwritten Review

Text of the Review:

November 6, 2010

Pen 1: Sheaffer NoNonsense Italic Fine (Wet)

Pen 2: Parker Latitude Medium -> Italic (Dry)

Color: A pretty turquoise-class blue. No feathering, bleeding, or excessive spreading on this paper (CANE FIELDS Paper from sugar cane fiber copy paper) Ink is a solid ink -- does not shade much at all.

Comparison: The ink under study, compared to some common inks. See The Handwritten Review above. Color-wise, Lord Croft has succeeded. The blue he was aiming for was a vibrant, turquoise blue that duplicated the draperies in Renaissance paintings. His ink is an excellent addition to this class of inks. As far as the common characteristics that make an ink work, this is also a success. Very good coverage, minimal feathering and bleeding, great flow.

Price: As noted in the "Inky Thoughts" thread, KTI-BM is an expensive, boutique ink. Flows smoothly, excellent coverage. Looks to be towards the high end of modern ink saturation. (IMHO, Noodler Navajo Turquoise is more saturated.) So, some care in maintenance is indicated -- clean pens out once a quarter? Once a month?

Conclusion: If you like unusual inks of high quality, this may be the ink for you. Especially if you are looking for a possible replacement for Penman Sapphire. Would recommend using in a fine, slightly dry pen.

OVERALL: I had an excellent time using this ink. It is a great addition to any desk's collection of inks. Am looking forward to seeing what else Lord Croft comes out with, hope he is a commercial success and gives Nathan a bit of competition.

"If you like unusual inks of high quality, this may be the ink for you. Especially if you are looking for a possible replacement for Penman Sapphire"

Many thanks for the review. I realise that monitors alter colouring, but do you really think it looks like PPS? On my screen, it looks like a very pale blue... I hope you're right though :) PPS is my favourite colour ever. I've a sample of Blue Madonna somewhere over the Atlantic, winging its way to me now :)

Edited by parkerstylo

"If you like unusual inks of high quality, this may be the ink for you. Especially if you are looking for a possible replacement for Penman Sapphire"

Many thanks for the review. I realise that monitors alter colouring, but do you really think it looks like PPS? On my screen, it looks like a very pale blue... I hope you're right though :) PPS is my favourite colour ever. I've a sample of Blue Madonna somewhere over the Atlantic, winging its way to me now :)

Lord Croft was kind enough to send me a sample as well, which arrived today. I'll be adding a review of my own sometime in the near future. From what I've seen of PPS (I've never tried it myself), this is a much lighter blue. However, it's very near in color to the Edelstein Topaz, at least on some more absorbent papers, and a bit darker and slightly less green-tinted on a paper like Rhodia. In any case, I think it's a beautiful color.

Music, verily, is the mediator between intellectual and sensuous life, the one incorporeal entrance into the high world of knowledge which comprehends mankind but which mankind cannot comprehend. -Ludwig van Beethoven

Parkerstylo: Oops, my bad! Don't know why Penman Sapphire became a turquoise ink in my estimation. Must have been half-asleep at that point.

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Parkerstylo: Oops, my bad! Don't know why Penman Sapphire became a turquoise ink in my estimation. Must have been half-asleep at that point.

Ha, no problem. I'm trying to be less of a 'Pavlov's dog' over PPS. I'm just sitting around waiting for a bullet-proof version to appear, whilst cob-webs stretch from the walls to my ever-lengthening, wildly growing hair.

Edited by parkerstylo

@parkerstylo:

A bulletproof version? Yeah, I have only used bulletproof versions of Noodler inks recently. Then I acquired a few inks in cartridges and started practicing copperplate with dip pens. Been rethinking if I want to insist on a waterproof, forger-resistant ink. Most of what I write does not really require water resistance. I have Heart of Darkness for those few items that do. And I don't really like the flow, sharpness, or hue of most of the Eternal or Polar inks. Thus, I am buying either standard Noodler's or "something else". Like Aurora Black or Blue -- excellent sharpness, best ink for hairlines that I have ever seen. And the shading that Lamy Blue-black has creates some really interesting effects. So many inks, so little writing to use them up.

@Signum1:

I am going to have to write up a few more ink reviews and put more work up in this forum. Have gotten lazy recently. I see a lot of new people asking the same questions I had some thirty years ago, when I first started with fountain pens and calligraphy. Things like how to cut a quill, use ink sticks, make a sloped writing board, and many more. I love seeing another generation of proud fountain pen users.

Yours,
Randal

Lord Croft has also been kind to me. I am (surprise) on the road (well, in the far-east) this week for work, but if my secretary is to go by an (I quote) "unusual shipment has arrived for me" at my office.....

I'll try to monitor this thread, so that what I do with the ink when back will complement, rather than duplicate, efforts of others. However, what I have read so far makes me really look forward to trying this new ink.