Wality Piston Fill Take Apart

watch_art

here it is just to show off.

to get the knob off, you just unscrew it. when the piston bottoms out in the barrel, just pull and unscrew slowly and it'll come out. To put it back together, put the piston rod all the way up in the knob, as if it were completely closed in the pen, then screw the thing back in the pen. Easy peasy. Why can't all piston fillers be this simple?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1357/5128964025_68745e1bcd_b.jpg

004 by watch_art2010, on Flickr

and the brown grease that was ALL OVER the piston and rod. weird Indian grease?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1421/5128964193_9090b2b3c7.jpg

005 by watch_art2010, on Flickr

Edited by watch_art

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• hari317

• andru

• jniforat

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why can't all piston fillers be this simple?

The Wality mechanism requires minimum no of parts, however, the piston, in order to extend/retract has to depend on the friction between the seal and the cylinder wall. This leads to a natively tight piston operation.

The Lamy2K has a very similar level of simplicity, but, with an additional press fit anti-rotation device, this allows the mechanism to operate independent of friction between the seal and wall.

The "Indian" grease is AFAIK, vegetable oil based, a mixture of castor oil and some other things. It will not age well and become sticky, I recommend that it is wiped off and silicone grease be used.

Best,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thanks, yeah I wiped that nasty stuff off right away and used pure sili grease. I was mostly being facetious when I said that about the simplicity of the mechanism. It wouldn't be any fun taking the more complicated ones apart if they were all this simple.

But wow, caster oil? Yuck.

• 6 months later...

here it is just to show off.

to get the knob off, you just unscrew it. when the piston bottoms out in the barrel, just pull and unscrew slowly and it'll come out. To put it back together, put the piston rod all the way up in the knob, as if it were completely closed in the pen, then screw the thing back in the pen. Easy peasy. Why can't all piston fillers be this simple?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1357/5128964025_68745e1bcd_b.jpg

004 by watch_art2010, on Flickr

and the brown grease that was ALL OVER the piston and rod. weird Indian grease?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1421/5128964193_9090b2b3c7.jpg

005 by watch_art2010, on Flickr

(Your photos seem to be no longer available.) When I continue to slowly turn the piston knob counterclockwise, after it bottoms out, the knob pops off! I guess in that case if I really wanted to get into the pen, I'd have to open it just above the section threads? Is it shellaced?

post-7018-0-56144100-1306393673.jpgpost-7018-0-91758300-1306393685.jpgpost-7018-0-12239400-1306393694.jpg

When I continue to slowly turn the piston knob counterclockwise, after it bottoms out, the knob pops off! I guess in that case if I really wanted to get into the pen, I'd have to open it just above the section threads? Is it shellaced?

You cannot remove the section. It is solvent welded.

To remove the piston shaft from the barrel, use the knob itself as the extractor. Engage the hollow of the knob to the piston shaft threads, do not engage the knob threads to the barrel threads. Once a few threads of the knob hollow are engaged to the shaft, pull it straight out.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

When I continue to slowly turn the piston knob counterclockwise, after it bottoms out, the knob pops off! I guess in that case if I really wanted to get into the pen, I'd have to open it just above the section threads? Is it shellaced?

You cannot remove the section. It is solvent welded.

To remove the piston shaft from the barrel, use the knob itself as the extractor. Engage the hollow of the knob to the piston shaft threads, do not engage the knob threads to the barrel threads. Once a few threads of the knob hollow are engaged to the shaft, pull it straight out.

Thanks Hari!