Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher

rsq001

Some more fun!! This was my first bottle of Noodler's.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b385/rsq001/BadBelted.jpg

"Who is John Galt?"

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s1600/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rsq001

• sourav

• JLT

• jgrasty

Nice review. Just to add my $.02 worth, I really like Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher. I find it to be a bit darker than the way it appears on my monitor in your review. I use Bad Belted Kingfisher with an Esterbrook having a medium nib, which puts down a fairly heavy ink line, the difference is most likely in the amount of ink our pens dispense to the paper. I would describe this ink as a very navy ink.

It's very appropriate for business communications, I'd call it a serious dark blue and because of its permanence I use it when writing checks.

I think anyone looking for a dark blue that behaves well , and seeks an ink that will be, as you describe, "indestructible", this is the ink they should try and they will not be disappointed.

Thanks for your thorough review. I like the form you use.

Edited by kathleen

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

My bottle of BBK looks significantly darker than the way your review looks on my screen. I love the way it looks from the medium nib of my Pelikan. Wonderful ink! Thanks for the review.

"No one can be a great thinker who does not recognize that as a thinker it is his first duty to follow his intellect to whatever conclusions it may lead. Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study, and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think." -J.S. Mill, On Liberty

Did you test the waterproofness? The early reports showing lots of color bleeding when wet were the only thing keeping me from buying some. If nathan's figured out how to fix that I'll probably order some next time I buy ink.

Thanks for the review!

I have only Legal Lapis so far, in the Noodler's section, and found bleedthrough to be a problem for me, even with a relatively dry writer. Of course, wouldn't be a problem if we used decent paper at work.. Other than that, a nice ink. Wa splanningto pick up a bottle of BBK soon, and may do so, given the positive review.

Ken

I really like Bad Belted Kingfisher. It's not my favourite blue, but it's a pleasant colour and has worked well for me.

I use it in a Parker Frontier. Smooth flowing, but I find that I have to write with at least every other day. Otherwise the ink flow seems to tighten up a little.

Did you test the waterproofness? The early reports showing lots of color bleeding when wet were the only thing keeping me from buying some. If nathan's figured out how to fix that I'll probably order some next time I buy ink.

I have not tested it but I have seen someone else's though I don't remember where. I do remember it was still very visible after a barrage of chemicals.

"Who is John Galt?"

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s1600/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

Thanks for the review!

I have only Legal Lapis so far, in the Noodler's section, and found bleedthrough to be a problem for me, even with a relatively dry writer. Of course, wouldn't be a problem if we used decent paper at work.. Other than that, a nice ink. Wa splanningto pick up a bottle of BBK soon, and may do so, given the positive review.

Ken

I agree if you are using cheap paper this is not the ink to use.

"Who is John Galt?"

BBK has become one of my 'go to' inks, the one that I use most for general writing and taking notes. My medium nib Custom 823 loves this ink and I've had at least acceptable results on a wide vaiety of papers, including the 20lb. copier paper at the office. It performs wonderfully in my Black 'n Red journals.

I agree with kathleen - it is a very Navy-looking ink.

Thanks very much for the review!

JLT (J. L. Trasancos, Barneveld, NY)

"People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest."

Hermann Hesse (1877 - 1962)

BBK is one of my favorite inks. Shades superbly, flows well, etc. However, the tendency of the non-waterproof component of BBK to run at the sight of water prevents me from using it on a daily basis in my lab notebook. There is a dark bulletproof component that stays behind, but the blue runoff makes nearby lines illegible. In one of the discussion threads earlier, someone commented on the runoff being a security feature that indicates that the writing has been tampered with. A pity that I haven't seen an irremovable bulletproof ink with a similar blue-black color from Nathan - it would become my daily user ink in a jiffy.

I use this ink quite often. I mix it with a little HoD and Navy to make a smooth writing mix that I dilute 35% with water. I use it in all kinds of pens and it's great.

Nice review!!

This is one of my favorite blues and blue is not necessarily my favorite color. This one, though, does it for me and I find it appropriate for business use. However, as others have noted, while it can't be got rid of, it runs like crazy when wet. It has the permanence that I need for signatures but I wouldn't use it in a setting where there were predictable water hazards.

All that aside, I find it gorgeous out of a medium or wider nib that's at least a 5 on the wetness scale.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

My biggest disappointment was that, at least in the few pens in which I have tried it, it has a substantial green component to the color. My second complaint is that it does feather on office pads. I was hoping for a deep, dark blue, no green that behaves EXACTLY like Bulletproof Black. I am still searching!

Brian

I use this ink quite often. I mix it with a little HoD and Navy to make a smooth writing mix that I dilute 35% with water. I use it in all kinds of pens and it's great.

Nice review!!

I also dilute BBK, after adding in a little La Reine Mauve. Definitely a go-to ink (along with Manhattan Blue, which is a similar color).

Viseguy

• 5 months later...

In my opinion the best ink color i have. I maybe like the HOD a little more, can't decide which is better ;). But i think it takes a bit long to dry and smells quite strong. Have you experienced the same ?

BBK is one of my favorite inks. Shades superbly, flows well, etc. However, the tendency of the non-waterproof component of BBK to run at the sight of water prevents me from using it on a daily basis in my lab notebook. There is a dark bulletproof component that stays behind, but the blue runoff makes nearby lines illegible. In one of the discussion threads earlier, someone commented on the runoff being a security feature that indicates that the writing has been tampered with. A pity that I haven't seen an irremovable bulletproof ink with a similar blue-black color from Nathan - it would become my daily user ink in a jiffy.

CONSIDER ELLS SLAND

I have not tested it but I have seen someone else's though I don't remember where. I do remember it was still very visible after a barrage of chemicals.

Here's my hand-written review and the barrage of washes including strong chemicals to test it for permanence

Click here to get to my review, and please note I used scalding HOT running water over 180F and a total soaking for my water wash test, where cold water soaks left more color behind.

Another reason not to discount this ink after seeing some color wash out, it's good in that you can tell right away if someone has tried to wash out your signature or other information on checks or important documents, it's a tell that could be very important for those needing to know their documents have been tampered with.

Past my bedtime, my fellow fountaineers, well after midnight here.

I'm about to turn into a funkin [or worse, fall out of my chair and hit my head on a bottle of ink!], so I'll be seeing you on the flip-side of the sundial!

Pleasant inky & pen dreams, my friends, and many more!

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

Anyone have a comparison between Bad Belted Kingfisher and Texas Blue Bonnet? I see a similarity from the writing sample.

BBK is much darker.

Texas Blue Bonnet is very close to Bad Blue Heron. Picture BBH and then imagine it just a smidge more "blue", and that's TBB. Texas Blue Bonnet is, in my opinion, a very pretty ink with excellent shading and quite resistant to feathering, but also somewhat high-maintenance. It leaves greasy blue deposits on nibs and feeds. Ammonia seems to take them off, though.

Incidentally. . . I have a good friend who somehow (perhaps from an article) got the impression that Bad Belted Kingfisher was the ultimate in permanent ink and bought a bottle, then used it to address some mail. On the way to the mailbox he got rained on, and it made a mess. Oooh, he was hopping mad. He felt he'd been a victim of false advertising.

"But it's laser-proof!" I told him.

"I'll remember that next time I get lasered on the way to the mailbox," he answered. :roflmho:

Edited by tonybelding

Hmm, it seems this might be a bit of a lighter blue compared to Noodler's Blue Black. I really like the look of this too but I feel that blue inks are less professional than the black, but this could just be something pounded into me through years of going into a school where we could only use black inks. Is this ink picky with any papers?

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything." -Tyler Durden