Lamy 2000

watch_art

Got a Lamy 2000 for my birthday present to myself from myself and I love the thing. One problem.....

THE SECTION IS CRACKED! I noticed it when I got the pen, but thought it was just a deep spot in the makrolon and that it was normal.

Today I noticed it looks WIDER. Not longer, but....

So, I just contacted Melpens to see what I should do with the durned thing.

What a stinker. At least it's not leaking ink all over the place.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4148/5095061134_ec114af7c4_b.jpg

lamy2k by watch_art2010, on Flickr

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• jniforat

• gampupen

• murfie

It'll be rough, but once the worst is over, your good to go!

trpofapprobal.png

I've had several 2ks now... I commiserate.

I honestly have a love/hate relationship with this pen.

I've so far had three or four that misbehaved to the point of being sold off/boxed up in the "peeved me off" box.... 1 that became a favorite user after a drop nib-first onto concrete and only 1 that has been trouble free from the get go.

I've only had one 2k crack in the section... it was one of the "stainless" models of the LE era.

The rest have had nib/flow issues that only were cured by Lamy inks. Problem being, I don't particularly care for Lamy inks.

Since dropping my EF nib'd pen, it has proven to be a spectacular M+/- nib with a touch of flex with my inks of choice. My BB is a great writer out of the box... My LE (Full stainless) has leaked since day 1 {very, very common I'm told}.

All said and done, contact Lamy if your seller doesn't make the pen right. Lamy have been great about correcting my issues.

Something about this pen just keep me coming back. I'm actually pondering buying another now... I hear the Obliques might be a fun nib for my preferences.

After talking to a few people here, I'm just going to send it to Lamy with a check for $7.50. Easiest way to take care of things. And I know they'll let me keep my nib, so that's a huge plus.

Lamy has a great customer service. I sent back a pen a while ago and they did an amazing job.

Sorry to hear you are having problems, I've been lucky with my Lamy 2000, it was a great writer out of the box.

Visit my food blog

Foodie Topography

Sorry to hear about your problem. As mentioned by all, Lamy has a great customer service. It will be back in no time. Happy belated birthday, by the way.

Hmm... sorry to hear that. I hope Lamy haven't changed their QC or manufacture.

My pen (before I gave it away on the Pay It Forward thread) has sufferred years of drops, hard drops, scratches and never once cracked.

Lamy and Melpens should replace that with a new pen (wouldn't expect less) after which perhaps it deserves another go? I've always had a soft spot for what was once my favourte, reliable daily workhorse. I wouldn't clip a MB to my pant pocket, but I would gladly do so with a Lamy and use it all the more for it.

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

Do you think Lamy USA will care that I bought it from Melpens?

The Lamy guarantee is world wide and Melpens is an authorised Lamy reseller to my knowledge. So there shouldn't be a problem. If there is, then Mel Low would replace the pen anyway.

Keep us posted on progress, my friend.

Ciao

Do you think Lamy USA will care that I bought it from Melpens?

Of course they'll care. They've already called me to visit you. They said to bring along my trusty blackjack and get you familiar with its basic operations...over and over and over.

Lamy pays good so I'll take the job. See ya' soon watch_art.:W2FPN:

Hey there,

I have had a Lamy 2000 brand new, sent to me directly from Germany.

It was sent in for a nib swap, but they returned it with the new metal

section. I was quite delighted, but then this problem occurred . I noticed

A small 4mm crack along the makrolon of the nib section. Due to the

fact that Lamy has added a new inner metal piece, the pen does not

leak. However, it's quite surprising that such a solid material can show

this kind of flaw. I took the pen back to my local Lamy rep but was told

that if it did not leak, there was no reason to swap sections.

It remains, until today. I'm quite irritated, maybe I should sell the pen off.

Your local Lamy rep isn't being very helpful.

You should email Lamy directly and post the pen to them, requesting a new pen section. Lamy's warranty should cover a crack in a new pen - a manufacture defect? Or damage in postage? Take a photo to attach to your email! I've had quite accomodating service from Lamy.

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

i love my lamy. if it wasn't for this crack, it'd be the only pen i'd take out of the house to use at school with my twsbi. new pens i mean. i take out my old beater sheaffers all the time. LOVE this pen. have it wrapped up and ready to go to lamy this afternoon.