Lamy Vista, Fine Nib

dizzypen

The full version of this review along with all my others can be found at The Dizzy Pen.

http://dizzypen.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/lamy-vista-uncapped.jpg

First Impressions

I’ve had a Lamy before. It was an Al-Star with an extra-fine nib. I HATED it. So, when I received this pen I had my reservations, but I was determined to give the pen another try. “Many people swear by these pens,” I thought to myself. Perhaps it was just MY Al-Star.

Upon first glimpsing this Vista I discovered two things: first, I loved the way the clear pen looked as opposed to my Raspberry Al-Star (I don’t even like pink. How did I end up with a Raspberry pen?!) and second, I much prefer the acrylic over the metal. It feels better in hand.

So far so good.

Appearance

After giving the pen a good cleaning (it had a dried out blue cartridge left in it) I was able to better assess the look of the pen.

The clear acrylic is a wonderful choice for a pen of this design. I found my old raspberry colored Al-Star to be a bit too angular and harsh. The transparent clear acrylic softens the lines somehow.

The silver accents (inner cap, nib, clip, barrel inscription, and converter collar) are a nice touch. However, the paper clip inspired clip is not appealing to me whatsoever.

Design/Size/Weight

The design of the Vista, like the Al-Star, is edgy and modern.

The pen is shaped like a squared off cylinder. There is a cut out in the barrel so that you can see the ink level (though I don’t know why you’d need such a thing with a demonstrator pen). The cap is of the same shape with a huge clip.

The pen is substantial at 5 1/2” capped, 5” uncapped, and 6 1/2” posted. It weighs about 20 grams inked.

The section of the Vista, like the Al-star and Safari, has indentation on the sides to assist you with your grip. So, if you are uncomfortable with the “schoolhouse” tripod grip you might not like the feel of this pen. I happen to use the tripod grip, so it’s not a big deal to me.

Nib

The Vista comes with a stainless steel nib. You can get it in XF, F, M, and B. Most Lamy pens have interchangeable nibs, so your Vista will also fit many of the gold nibs as well as the italic nibs.

My Vista came with a fine nib, and to my surprise it is actually very very good and a joy to use. However, there have been many complaints about scratchy Lamy nibs. In fact, my old Raspberry Al-Star’s extra-fine nib was too scratchy for my tastes.

See, this is where I have a real issue with Lamy pens, the nib quality is inconsistent. Sometimes you get a great one, and sometimes you get a real dud.

Now some will say that it’s not a big deal. Lamy nibs are easily interchangeable, so you can always buy another. Well yes, but the replacements are $11 or so, and there is no guarantee that the replacement will be any better a writer.

If you have a chance to try your Lamy before buying it I’d suggest you do just that. Otherwise, Caveat Emptor!

Filling System

The Vista uses a cartridge/converter system, and Lamy uses a propriety c/c system. This means you have to use Lamy cartridges or converters. This limits your cartridge ink color selection, but you can always flush out your old Lamy carts and refill them with whatever color you want.

The Vista uses the Z24 converter, but I’m presently using a Z26 converter I got for my Lamy Studio. The Z26 fits, but doesn’t come with the plastic bits on the side that lock the converter into place. I haven’t had any leaking issues, but I’d imagine that someone carrying this pen around might want the extra security of the Z24.

Cost and Value

These pens are inexpensive, and that is largely their appeal. They can be had for around $30. I consider them a pretty decent value at that price. They are durable as heck, and if you are fortunate enough to get one with a good nib you’ll more than likely enjoy the pen.

Conclusion (8/10, B )

All in all the Vista is a decent pen, and one that I might recommend to a newbie. My only reservation is really the inconsistent nib quality. I’d hate for a scratchy nibbed Vista to turn a newbie off our wonderful hobby.

This pen was sent to me for review by Lily at JetPens. I am not otherwise affiliated with them.

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dizzypen

• Phormula

• vans4444

• JMX

Top Posters In This Topic

Good review of this basic pen. Like you, I never liked my red Lamy Safari, but the Vista is different somehow.

There was a thread a while back about how to convert these to ED fills. It involves getting a roller ball barrel to substitute for the fp barrel (these replacement parts can be had from Lamy), and then sealing the air holes in the barrel (I used aquarium sealant for this). Once the sealant has cured, fill that barrel with pretty ink, put some silicone grease on the threads and, voila!! An ED demonstrator Vista!!

Mine's an EF and wrote well from the box -- I enjoy seeing the ink color as I write. HP

Edited by Hennypenny

The sky IS falling. C. Little

Thenk you for sharing this... I bought a Lamy Vista several years ago and it was a fantastic pen, until it went MIA. Based on that experience, I bought another one and it was awful, the nib was scratchy. I bought another one and it was the same. Then I gave up and moved to the Schneider Base. I must look for them in the closet and get a replacement nib.

Don't take life too seriously

Nobody makes it out alive anyway

The full version of this review along with all my others can be found at The Dizzy Pen.

http://dizzypen.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/lamy-vista-uncapped.jpg

First Impressions

I’ve had a Lamy before. It was an Al-Star with an extra-fine nib. I HATED it. So, when I received this pen I had my reservations, but I was determined to give the pen another try. “Many people swear by these pens,” I thought to myself. Perhaps it was just MY Al-Star.

Upon first glimpsing this Vista I discovered two things: first, I loved the way the clear pen looked as opposed to my Raspberry Al-Star (I don’t even like pink. How did I end up with a Raspberry pen?!) and second, I much prefer the acrylic over the metal. It feels better in hand.

So far so good.

Appearance

After giving the pen a good cleaning (it had a dried out blue cartridge left in it) I was able to better assess the look of the pen.

The clear acrylic is a wonderful choice for a pen of this design. I found my old raspberry colored Al-Star to be a bit too angular and harsh. The transparent clear acrylic softens the lines somehow.

The silver accents (inner cap, nib, clip, barrel inscription, and converter collar) are a nice touch. However, the paper clip inspired clip is not appealing to me whatsoever.

Design/Size/Weight

The design of the Vista, like the Al-Star, is edgy and modern.

The pen is shaped like a squared off cylinder. There is a cut out in the barrel so that you can see the ink level (though I don’t know why you’d need such a thing with a demonstrator pen). The cap is of the same shape with a huge clip.

The pen is substantial at 5 1/2” capped, 5” uncapped, and 6 1/2” posted. It weighs about 20 grams inked.

The section of the Vista, like the Al-star and Safari, has indentation on the sides to assist you with your grip. So, if you are uncomfortable with the “schoolhouse” tripod grip you might not like the feel of this pen. I happen to use the tripod grip, so it’s not a big deal to me.

Nib

The Vista comes with a stainless steel nib. You can get it in XF, F, M, and B. Most Lamy pens have interchangeable nibs, so your Vista will also fit many of the gold nibs as well as the italic nibs.

My Vista came with a fine nib, and to my surprise it is actually very very good and a joy to use. However, there have been many complaints about scratchy Lamy nibs. In fact, my old Raspberry Al-Star’s extra-fine nib was too scratchy for my tastes.

See, this is where I have a real issue with Lamy pens, the nib quality is inconsistent. Sometimes you get a great one, and sometimes you get a real dud.

Now some will say that it’s not a big deal. Lamy nibs are easily interchangeable, so you can always buy another. Well yes, but the replacements are $11 or so, and there is no guarantee that the replacement will be any better a writer.

If you have a chance to try your Lamy before buying it I’d suggest you do just that. Otherwise, Caveat Emptor!

Filling System

The Vista uses a cartridge/converter system, and Lamy uses a propriety c/c system. This means you have to use Lamy cartridges or converters. This limits your cartridge ink color selection, but you can always flush out your old Lamy carts and refill them with whatever color you want.

The Vista uses the Z24 converter, but I’m presently using a Z26 converter I got for my Lamy Studio. The Z26 fits, but doesn’t come with the plastic bits on the side that lock the converter into place. I haven’t had any leaking issues, but I’d imagine that someone carrying this pen around might want the extra security of the Z24.

Cost and Value

These pens are inexpensive, and that is largely their appeal. They can be had for around $30. I consider them a pretty decent value at that price. They are durable as heck, and if you are fortunate enough to get one with a good nib you’ll more than likely enjoy the pen.

Conclusion (8/10, B )

All in all the Vista is a decent pen, and one that I might recommend to a newbie. My only reservation is really the inconsistent nib quality. I’d hate for a scratchy nibbed Vista to turn a newbie off our wonderful hobby.

This pen was sent to me for review by Lily at JetPens. I am not otherwise affiliated with them.

I hope you got the NEW version Vistas. The old Vistas tend to become yellowish.

Also, did you realize that the Vistas are ever so lightly "thinner" than the normal Safaris?

Vistas are cool.

I have a Vista F that wrote quite dry and was a hard starter, but my Lamy Joy with a 1.1 italic nib wrote wonderfully. So I switched out the F nib for a 1.1 and everything worked great! Loved it so much that I bought another Vista, switched the nib to another 1.1 and inked it with a different juice ;)

Went from hating 1 to owning 2 vistas!

I like the Vista, more than the Al-Star or Safari. My nib wrote very smoothly straight out of the box.

Thanks for the review

Do the Lamy gold nibs actually fit Vista/Safari pens? I thought that they were supplied with the units for the Studio pens. I'd dearly love to obtain at least one gold nib for my Vista!

Do the Lamy gold nibs actually fit Vista/Safari pens? I thought that they were supplied with the units for the Studio pens. I'd dearly love to obtain at least one gold nib for my Vista!

The Medium 14k nib from my studio fits on without a problem.

I think Lamy sells the individual gold nibs for a bit over $60.

This one is in my bag every time I leave home

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_gfSg2iZFwOI/S2NoBoP3OpI/AAAAAAAAABc/k2eGtUvgfbA/s800/IMG_2014a.jpg

Pelikan 140 OB

Pelikan M605 blue F

Pelikan M200 transparent (Demonstrator Japan) M

Pelikan Level 65 yellow M

Pelikan Level 65 red B  

Pelikan Go! black/magenta M

Pelikan Go! black/petrol M

Pelikan M70/Go! (C/C) magenta B

Pelikan Steno red (70s)

Lamy Safari charcoal 1.5 mm italic

Lamy Safari yellow EF

Lamy Vista Eyedropper 1.9 mm italic

Reform P 120

2x Reform 1745

Sorry, but I must say it: all this Lamy products are among the ugliest pens I've ever seen. I don't understand why so many people can find them attractive.

Roger

Roger

This one is in my bag every time I leave home

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_gfSg2iZFwOI/S2NoBoP3OpI/AAAAAAAAABc/k2eGtUvgfbA/s800/IMG_2014a.jpg

I hope that is ink in the barrel :roflmho:

Sorry, but I must say it: all this Lamy products are among the ugliest pens I've ever seen. I don't understand why so many people can find them attractive.

Roger

They certainly aren't the most gorgeous pens on the block.

Great review, thank you! I'm looking to try one of these in the late future... Got to many other things to think about now...

Regards,

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

I hope that is ink in the barrel  :roflmho:

Yup. My trusty eyedropper.

Pelikan 140 OB

Pelikan M605 blue F

Pelikan M200 transparent (Demonstrator Japan) M

Pelikan Level 65 yellow M

Pelikan Level 65 red B  

Pelikan Go! black/magenta M

Pelikan Go! black/petrol M

Pelikan M70/Go! (C/C) magenta B

Pelikan Steno red (70s)

Lamy Safari charcoal 1.5 mm italic

Lamy Safari yellow EF

Lamy Vista Eyedropper 1.9 mm italic

Reform P 120

2x Reform 1745

Roger

But they are a highly functional, easily replaceable and reasonably priced, sturdy toss around pen. And sometimes this is all I need. Won't treat my beloved vintage pens the way I treat a Lamy Vista or Safari :ph34r:

Roger

For the same reason why I don't understand why other people find them ugly. ;) I like Lamy design, and apart from jokes, what I really, really like is a world where many different pen companies make many different pen, which are purchased by many different people with many different opinions on what they like and what they like not. I'd rather live in a world like this and not in a world where what we get is a variation of the same pen design, and everybody finds it not so good and not so bad. To me it is far better to own a pen that I love knowing that somebody else will regard it as the perfect tool to mix a can of paint rather than to have a ben thad does the job without giving me any emotion. I like Lamy design (but I admit that I am Bauhaus addicted) but I respect people who love a more classic one.

For the same reason why I don't understand why other people find them ugly. ;) I like Lamy design, and apart from jokes, what I really, really like is a world where many different pen companies make many different pen, which are purchased by many different people with many different opinions on what they like and what they like not. I'd rather live in a world like this and not in a world where what we get is a variation of the same pen design, and everybody finds it not so good and not so bad. To me it is far better to own a pen that I love knowing that somebody else will regard it as the perfect tool to mix a can of paint rather than to have a ben thad does the job without giving me any emotion. I like Lamy design (but I admit that I am Bauhaus addicted) but I respect people who love a more classic one.

Well, nothing more to add. Now you've helped me to understand. It's obvious that you're right, i'ts just a question of taste, and about tastes there is nothing written. But I can't help find them ugly. Sorry about that!

Roger

Edited by rogerico

Roger

Well, nothing more to add. Now you've helped me to understand. It's obvious that you're right, i'ts just a question of taste, and about tastes there is nothing written. But I can't help find them ugly. Sorry about that!

Roger

No problem, really. There many pens out there that if I am given in gift, I'd give away or keep in a closet because I find them ugly. And this group includes many "classics", expensive stuff or pens that others might sweat running after. Taste is really personal, I bought my Lamy Vista in a well renowed shop here in Milan. The day I did, there was I guess the manager of a famous Italian pen manufacturer, a nice old lady. We started a discussion on FPs and I really enjoyed, but I also told her that I was apologizing, because there was nothing in their fantastic product line of high quality FPs of the time that I'd buy. Not that they were bad pens, but I like more modern designs. Well, that's just me. She told me I did not need to apologize, we all need to buy the pens we love looking and using. The inner satisfation of looking at your favourite FP on the desk and smile is a really important, there are not that many objects in our daily life that make us smile when we see or use tehm. Then, among others, she suggested me to look for Lamy FPs. That's what I did, coming home with a Vista.