Montblanc Midnight Blue

sunnerd

The colour has been calibrated with X-Rite ColorPassport on Adobe Photoshop CS4.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4097/5025973576_7f25834601_o.jpg

Best regards, Kai

Montblanc 13x, #20/25/30/40, 244/6 Green Marbled, 322 Azure Blue, 234 1/2 G/PL, 256, 220, 34.

Montblanc 144G Grey, 146G Green Striated, 146 Silver Barley, 149 (50s-00s).

Montblanc WE Christie, Imperial Dragon, Wilde, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Proust, Schiller, Verne, Mann, Twain. PoA Prince Regent, Morgan...

Visconti Pontevecchio LE, Metropolitan Gordian Knot, Ripples. Omas Paragon Royale Blue HT, Extra Lucens Black LE. Pilot Silvern. Pelikan 620 Shanghai, 800 Blue o Blue.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sunnerd

• BobR

• kwpalzang

• Chris Chalmers

Thank you very much for the review. Interesting color. I would love to see it compared to PR Midnight Blue...

Regards,

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Very interesting colour. It seems to be a bit wet though.

Thank you for the review!

I find it dry, but this is a common occurrence in ferrogalic inks. Very nice ink, and review, thank you.

Thanks for the review. I must say that I did a double-take when I first saw it, because your handwriting is very similar to mine--but nicer! I'm also surprised that you say that you found the Midnight Blue lighter than the old Blue Black because the story has been that it's the same ink with a new, jazzier name (which justifies the higher price of course). Your sample does look like my BB--but that can be misleading. Can you do a side-by-side comparison of the two inks? I love the BB, I'm set for a while because I bought the last bottle of it from a local B&M store last week, but would like to know if there's been any changes. Fortunately, the difference seems slight in any case.

Thanks. I just did a side by side comparison - first write on Midnight blue, flushed the pens and write on old MB Blue Black.

Somehow the BB is much wetter so possibly it dumped more colour onto the paper. Used the same Clairefontaine Triomphe paper.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4145/5027072677_a7294fe4b1_o.jpg

Best regards, Kai

Montblanc 13x, #20/25/30/40, 244/6 Green Marbled, 322 Azure Blue, 234 1/2 G/PL, 256, 220, 34.

Montblanc WE Christie, Imperial Dragon, Wilde, Dumas, Dostoevsky, Proust, Schiller, Verne, Mann, Twain. PoA Prince Regent, Morgan...

Visconti Pontevecchio LE, Metropolitan Gordian Knot, Ripples. Omas Paragon Royale Blue HT, Extra Lucens Black LE. Pilot Silvern. Pelikan 620 Shanghai, 800 Blue o Blue.

Thanks much! I see what you mean--the BB does look heavier, it can be seen in the extent of shading, although the color is similar, especially as you say in the fine nib. Perhaps a change in the formula causes this difference in performance while leaving the color the same. You experienced a performance issue--hopefully this won't prove to be too bad as I already find the BB to be a hard starter in some pens. The Midnight Blue looks like a worthy successor in any case.

Thanks again for making this effort. I enjoyed the fact that you did the comparison "tomorrow" and I can see it "today". Ah the wonders of FPN.

Excellent review, Kai. The comparisons of the inks delivered by different nibs is very helpful & informative. I suppose the bottle I was given is a few years old, and the ink has faded somewhat. Thanks again. All the best, Barry

Thanks Kai - that is an excellent example of a good ink and writing sampler!

I love the way your pen writes - and your handwriting!

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

Lovely ink and lovely review.

Certainly all inks seem "wetter" on the Triomphe paper as it is so hydrophobic.

The color seems lighter with some nice variation.

I would like to give it a go, it seems similar to the Waterman blue-black in appearance, but is probably "drier" in nature.

all the best

________________________________________________________________________________

Love and work... work and love, that's all there is.

Sigmund Freud

(there was a man who obviously never knew fountain pens!)

• 3 weeks later...

I am about to put some of this in my Boheme (as soon as I clean it). I was going to put it in my 149, but put some more MB Lavender Purple in it again. Interesting color. :meow:

Smith Premier No. 4

Hi sunnerd.

I bought a bottle of this ink a few weeks ago.

I found it to flow well and lubricate well. But on the other hand, it has restrained my Waterman 512v and my Parker Latitude, both of which were almost impossibly wet writers.

It seems also to be a very dignified ink, supprisingly more so than the official British registrar's ink which can be given over to wild shading at times.

Chris B.

Hi Chris, I'm not criticising the new Midnight blue. It's a comparison between the old blue black and the new Midnight blue. Since the colour does look the same, the new ink will be a good mix with wet writers while the old ink would be perfect for dry nibs. Horses for courses, and I'm quite glad to be able to mix and match a good color ink with different behaviours. :thumbup:

Best regards, Kai

Beautiful review.

Many thanks and much appreciated. I wonder whether being an iron gall ink, the colour may change again with time!

I've never quite been game enough to purchase an iron gall ink but may have to do so in the near future as I'm tending towards blues at the moment. :happyberet:

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)