J Bar Removal Tool?

kreinhard

I remember seeing a thread here some time ago about a J-bar removal tool made from a piece of brass tubing. I can't seem to find it now, but it wouldn't matter anyway, as I don't have the time/tools to make such a thing. Does anyone sell a J-bar removal tool? I'd like to buy one so I can fix this silly SJ that has the beautiful fern green body with nice wavy lines all over, but has been unloved for nearly a year due to the J-bar problem.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• OcalaFlGuy

• PDW

• kreinhard

I remember seeing a thread here some time ago about a J-bar removal tool made from a piece of brass tubing. I can't seem to find it now, but it wouldn't matter anyway, as I don't have the time/tools to make such a thing. Does anyone sell a J-bar removal tool? I'd like to buy one so I can fix this silly SJ that has the beautiful fern green body with nice wavy lines all over, but has been unloved for nearly a year due to the J-bar problem.

If the J-bar is broken it will usually just fall out. If you need to pull it, just grab onto it with a long reach needle nose pliers and pull. (I like to grab the short end but it takes a very unusual pliers to do this.)

The tube you mention was from Buzz J and is here.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

My personal favorite removal tool is a pair of medium (about 6" long) hemostats.

Several places on-line have them and I am told ;) that a "head shop" if you have one local

to you, will have them.

(My favorite j-bar INSTALL tool is a wooded coffee stirrer about 3/16" wide by maybe 1/16" thick. If I didn't have a few of them, I'd probably cut down a popsicle stick.)

Bruce in Ocala, FL

The tool I prefer for both removal and insertion is something called alligator forceps. You can grab the short end with it. I think its less nerve wracking to pull it out by the short end. It also gripes the j bar by the sides at the back so you can place it exactly where you want it.

Here is one site that has them. No affiliation, I got mine from another place.

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/CTGY/hemostat-forcep-alligator

Edited by ANM

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

• 5 months later...

May I revive this thread with a question.

I now have two 'restored' Estie Js with new J bars that are too long. In one case it actually prevents the section from seating properly in the barrel, and in the other it comes so close to the section nipple that it's very stiff to operate the lever. I suspect that I'll have to pull and shorten both J Bars.

Both of the pens have the sac tray fitted. I'm told that it is possible to remove the J bar without removing the sac tray; at my current level of ignorance I'd like to minimise the amount of disassembly I do so I;'d like to do this if I can. However as I see it the short end of the J bar must either be hooked behind and below the back of the sac tray or the tray is so long that it goes right to the jewel end of the barrel and the short part of the J bar comes up against the tray's inner surface rather than the inside surface of the barrel itself. I don't know which is the case.

A gentle pull on the visible end of the long side of the J bar doesn't release it, and I'd rather take advice before pulling too hard and breaking something! So, how do you get the J bar out of an Estie J without removing the sac tray?

** a little later. I've now read that you're meant to rotate the J bar 90 degrees so that the short end clears the sac tray. However my sac tray take up about half of the radius of the barrel interior. So, should I expect to rotate the J bar MORE THAN 90 degrees until the short ends is clear of the tray but the long end is inside the tray, then slide it out? Also should I expect to have to wiggle the lever a bit as I rotate the J bar to unlock them from each other?

Edited by PDW

I suppose it's possible that someone (not the original Esterbrook assembler) inserted the J bar before the sac tray and thereby trapped the J bar under the sac tray. I don't even know if that's possible, but I guess it could happen.

Assuming the J bar is trapped under the sac tray, then I would remove the sac tray. You'll need a very thin pic or similar item to slide under the sac tray and pry it up. They are not glued (or at least should not be). The sac tray sits in a tiny groove in the barrel. By lifting it, you will free it from the groove. Then grab it with tweezers and pull it out.

Or you could try again to pull the J bar out. I twist the barrel back and forth while holding onto the J bar with jewelers pliers (sold at Michaels). Unless the J bar is rusted badly and about to break anyway, you're not going to damage it. You may bend it way out of shape, but they're simple to rebend back into shape. It will make an awful sound while your pulling it out and you will think you are breaking it, but it is just the metal scrapping against the plastic of the sac tray.

Here's a link to pic of the inside of an Esterbrook:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/40924-esterbrook-cutaway/

Hope this helps.

Bill

Edited by wpb

I'd seen the cutaway, wpb, but couldn't recognise the sac tray on it. I gather from your reply that it's most likely that the bottom of the J bar is resting ON the sac tray not behind it, so a firm pull should do the job.

I'll try again in the morning - thanks!

In order to remove a sac tray, I use a simple method I saw described elsewhere on FPN. I bend one tip of a dental pick or some other similar instrument with a bit of heft into a small hook. After I remove the jBar with a pair of needle nose pliers, I insert the dental pick hook into the barrel until it is behind the back of the tray. At that time I give the dental pick a yank. Normally that will dislodge the sac tray from its groove in just a second. When I am reassembling the pen, I just push the sac tray back into the barrel and it snaps into its groove. Then I re-install the jBar by sliding it over the sac tray. The removal of the sac tray is much simpler than I ever thought.

Instead of just yanking the tray out lift up the front end with a needle or pick and it will easily slide out from the back. I've seen lots of trays that have the retaining tab broken off.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I for one, can't wait to hear how he gets the durn tray BACK in.

Bruce in Ocala, -scared by Estie sac trays

I for one, can't wait to hear how he gets the durn tray BACK in.

Bruce in Ocala, -scared by Estie sac trays

I have Esterbrook tool kit WZ-131 and it includes tool JT-101.

T

Imagine my complete unshockednicitiness.

I came close, I bid on one of the factory tool kits a couple months ago and got outbid.

:(

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Todd said "I have Esterbrook tool kit WZ-131 and it includes tool JT-101".

Bruce says, "I bid on one"

Is there really such a thing? If there is, I want to see it! If you guys are joking, as I strongly suspect you are, remember you have novices here, quite willing to believe all you say, you are my guides in Estieland. Would the Tinman and Toto, lead Dorothy astray?

I've never removed a sac tray but in restoring a silver/gray Trans you will remember I had quite a time trying to push one into proper alignment with a manicure implement, all the while I was afraid I might crack the barrel but in the end was successful.

Edited by kathleen

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.