Dusty, Dirty, Dark, & Murky

drifting

It doesn't have to be bright to be beautiful.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/seouldrifting/Murky4.jpg

Search friendliness:

Sailor Rikyu Cha

J. Herbin Lie de Thé

De Atramentis Sahara Grey

Noodler's V-Mail Burma Road Brown

Stipula Verde Muschiato

De Atramentis Khaki

Noodler's El Lawrence

Noodler's Manjiro Nakahama Whaleman's Sepia

Noodler's Nightshade

Rohrer & Klingner Sepia

Sailor Doyou

J. Herbin Cacao du Brésil

Ryan.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• drifting

• Cedar

• SamCapote

• WendyNC

Great idea! Thank you for putting Burma Road Brown next to El Lawrence - I have the former on order, the latter on a shelf. I have an idea of what to expect already with BRBrown but your scan really adds to my anticipation and whets the imagination some more.

What a beautiful earth-tone palette that is!

And useful, because now I see that the De Atramentis Khaki is close enough to the Stipula Verde Muschiato that I don't need both. Thank you.

"Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light." - Groucho Marx

Thanks, all!

Great idea! Thank you for putting Burma Road Brown next to El Lawrence - I have the former on order, the latter on a shelf. I have an idea of what to expect already with BRBrown but your scan really adds to my anticipation and whets the imagination some more.

I ordered both at the same time, but the BRBrown was on a whim. I was surprised at how much olive is in it, (in a good way: I obviously don't object to olive).

And useful, because now I see that the De Atramentis Khaki is close enough to the Stipula Verde Muschiato that I don't need both. Thank you.

Hmmm... well, yes and no. They are definitely kin, and my swabs are certainly similar, but if you look at the less saturated swipe at the bottom of each sample, I think you'll see more difference. Khaki is noticably lighter in a pen, in my experience. I'll see if I can get a writing comparison together this weekend to put up.

Now, in my pens, the Rikyu Cha and the Verde Muschiato are pretty darn close.

Ryan.

Hmmm... well, yes and no. They are definitely kin, and my swabs are certainly similar, but if you look at the less saturated swipe at the bottom of each sample, I think you'll see more difference. Khaki is noticably lighter in a pen, in my experience. I'll see if I can get a writing comparison together this weekend to put up.

Now I might eat my words. I had these two inked in a couple of pens with radically different characteristics (a Pelikan M805 with a wet M Ang CI and a Rotring Art pen with a 1.1 mm italic) and I could see a ton of difference - the Verde Muschiato is clearly darker and more olive, the Khaki lighter and more tan. But then I inked two Lamy ABCs with identical A nibs, and on most papers in most lights, I could hardly tell the difference. I'm still happy to have both, but I like subtle variations, and I could see that if you had one, you wouldn't necessarily need the other.

Ryan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Beautiful! I'd been wondering about the Sailor Doyou. Might have to order some of that.

Yeah, it's interesting. Definitely the darkest brown I've ever seen - nearly black, but not.

Ryan.

I take one of each, please.

Okay, I already have a couple of these, but wouldn't mind having the rest to go along with them.

Based on the few I do have, the colors in your pictures show up on my home monitor matching the inks as I know them, so I really appreciate your doing this.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

I take one of each, please.

Okay, I already have a couple of these, but wouldn't mind having the rest to go along with them.

Based on the few I do have, the colors in your pictures show up on my home monitor matching the inks as I know them, so I really appreciate your doing this.

+1! Very nice job of showing the subtle similarities. Thanks for doing it.

Cedar

• 1 month later...

Beautiful display seeing all of them together like this. Well done & very interesting.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

• 1 month later...

Yum!

Gorgeous. Understated.

Your image of swabs could be good fodder for a color theory class.

I feel a lot more like I did before than I do now.

I think this was the post that prompted me to put in a sample of Burma Road Brown into my last goulet sampler order. Glad I did, it's probably one of my favorite colors now, I'll be grabbing a bottle of el lawrence to see if I like that color since they seem rather similar and I prefer 100% waterproof inks, but I'd be perfecly happy with BRB if el Lawrence doesn't pan out.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like an interesting living room!

I've had at least three of these colours going all winter. At the moment it's Rikyu Cha, El Lawrence, and Nakahama Whaleman's Sepia.

R.