Nakaya Vs Platinum

hari317

I know that both these companies are closely related, retired expert employees from Platinum continue to make the exclusive Nakaya pens. However, I notice that certain pens like the Celluloid (Goildfish/tortoise/etc.) and the Briar wood models, are sold under both the brands and the pens are apparently identical. The Platinum branded ones are sold periodically on ebay and are obtainable at quite good prices as compared to the MSRP. The Nakaya ones, as far as I have been able to see, are purchasable only at full MSRP.

So other than the nib inspcription, is there any diffrence between the Nakaya Briar and the Platinum Briar and celluloid pens? i want to try a nakaya/platinum but I want to buy the cheaper one if they are identical except for the branding. I will be happy to receive your advice.

Thanks!

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• zenshrink

• PatientType

• Brian C

The designs are nearly identical with a few key differences. The Nakaya nibs are 14k while many of the Platinum nibs are 18k. Nakaya nibs come in sizes and styles that you won't find in a Platinum. The SEF, EF, flexy F M B BB, elastic nibs are all found only on Nakaya pens. Nakaya can also supply nibs in custom finishes like ruthenium.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Thank you for the valuable inputs. Do Nakaya sell just the section customised as per the individual requirements?

Thanks!

hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thank you for the valuable inputs. Do Nakaya sell just the section customised as per the individual requirements?

Thanks!

hari

Hi Hari,

I don't believe Nakaya sells anything but complete pens. I have had a couple of pens made up by them and the indication was that "spare parts" were not for sale. But I will admit that communication was sometimes difficult, especially the first time I got them to make me a pen; so I may be wrong about this.

Thanks Richard, I think I will first try the platinum to see if I like the pens, then I will progress on to the Nakaya.

Hari,

If you intend to get the celluloid pens then you'd want to try the Platinum ones first.

Not only are they available at cheaper prices vis-a-vis the MSRP, but there's more variety available - 6 colours ( Kinggyo, Ishigaki, Bekkou, Jade, Sakura and Midnight Ocean) vs 3 for Nakaya - I have all of them - and with the exception of the Midninght Ocean, which come fitted with a 18K nib, the others are all 14K with a nice spring to it. The feeds are interchangeable with Nakaya's and apart from the markings on the nib and trim I can't find any discernible difference from their full MSRP-priced Nakaya cousins.

Go for Nakaya if you're looking for urushi, maki-e or custom pens, or models with no equivalent in Platinum's catalogue. Otherwise get the Platinum version in order to save money, unless you must really have the Nakaya/ Nakata name on your pen for no other reason than as a matter of snob appeal. :roflmho:

Shahrin B)

Wheres the best place to find the Platinum Briarwood? I've been drooling over this pen in the Nakaya version and decided I don't need the name on the nib that bad.

I've got both. The difference seems to be in the quality of the workmanship. Nakaya's are advertised as hand made and, holding a Platinum and a Nakaya, I believe the ads. My Platinum pens are excellent writers. They perform faultlessly. The Nakaya pens have the same confirmation (size, shape) but they appear to be of much higher quality materials & workmanship. Also, as has been said be other posters, there are more limited nibs with the Platinum line. I was able to find a broad nib for my President. But I got two of the Nakaya celluloid with incredibly smooth double broad nibs.

I have a Platinum maki-e with an 18k double broad nib and it puts all of my Nakayas to shame. Nakayas are beautiful but the custom made nib stuff is nonsense in my humble opinion and in the opinion of several nameless experts I have spoken with. Platinums are very fine pens with great nibs. You can't beat the art work on the Nakayas, however, it is stunning.

... in the opinion of several nameless experts I have spoken with.

Sorry, but I won't be placing any faith nor trust in the opinion of some "nameless experts" who are unwilling to stand up and be counted.

I've got five Nakayas and one Platinum and IMO you've got the nib story just bassackwards.

But then I'm a user, not an expert.

I always get a kick out of these "no affiliation" notations when it's blatantly obvious the poster has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, company, etc. beyond being a customer. It must be a feel-good/feel-important thing. So I'll note up front that nothing I write here on this forum is influenced by any financial-gain motivation.

I visited Nakaya and and all their nibs were in baby food jars waiting to be fitted. The major difference with Platinum is the fact they will tune the nib according to your writing position. I don't own a Nakaya yet... but all my Platinum pens are solid writers.

I just ordered a pen from Hakase and the owner studied my hand writing and took a bunch of notes on how to tune the nib.

In the end, I guess it's all about the brand name and the fact that your nib will be tune.

I would probably go for the Platinum and keep my money for some nice urushi.

Visit my food blog

Foodie Topography

i think if you're looking for a pen design that's available in both Platinum and Nakaya, i'd go with Platinum. it's much cheaper and works just as well. however, if you're looking for something that's a little different in design from what Platinum offers and would prefer that personal tuning preferences, then i'd go with Nakaya. i own a couple of Nakaya FPs and happy with them.

-rudy-

-rudy-