Caran D'ache Saffron

Crewel

The following review is another homage to the bright colors of the Summer months, Caran d'Ache Saffron. I like this ink and color because it has some very nice shading and brightness for Calligraphic type of writing. As for the drying times, wetness,etc., it is exemplary CdA, well behaved with relatively fast drying time. CdA Saffron has good lubricity, but like most inks as I've found the hard way, the visual impact is mostly dependent on nib and flow. Wet nibs take full advantage of what the ink can offer, e.g., increased depth of color and shading. On good paper, it has no feathering or bleed through. As for wash tests and permanence, I do not think those are important for inks of this color because IMHO this lovely color is more for fanciful occasions rather than anything formal like work. :ltcapd:

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy107/crewel/Ink%20Review%20-%20Caran%20d%20Ache%20Saffron/CdASaffronReview.jpg?t=1282449741

Note the bottom of the above pic where the Saffron shows up more Red. It is because I increased flow in my Lamy Joy. The ink has a wide range of variation where the lighter areas are yellow gold to the deep red in the darker areas.

Below is a comparison between the CdA Saffron and J. Herbin Orange Indien using a straight edge calligraphy dip pen with an attached reservoir. Note the depth and richness of color in both inks although JH Orange Indien has more Red.

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy107/crewel/Ink%20Review%20-%20Caran%20d%20Ache%20Saffron/CdASaffronReview02.jpg?t=1282449741

Enjoy! :happyberet:

PS - Rhodia Notebook, 80g.

PSS - Please forgive the ghosting in the second pic. I like to use both sides of the paper. Don't want to waste any paper goodness. :vbg:

Edited by Crewel

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crewel

• nicholasyeo

• Sandy1

• karinh

Yum! I have this ink and I adore it so much I use it lots. The shading is amazing. I like Orange Indien too but Saffron is my favourite orange ever. (Also the name of my niece!)

Nice handwriting/calligraphy too.

Good review and I totally agree - who cares if it's waterproof or not when it's so lovely.

"Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light." - Groucho Marx

Hi,

Thank-you for the very nice Review. :thumbup:

I was surprised and impressed to see the Brown-ish tinge to this ink. Saffron is far more complex that I thought (on-line swabs are soooo limited); and the shading does alter the perceived colour.

Hmm I'm starting to think of Saffron not so much a yellow-red, but a really hot pale Brown - partly because of the way it nestles onto the page.

Is the shading/colour shift so apparent when Saffron is used with mono-line nibs? or is a wide Italic nib required to get the colour shift?

Bye,

Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Is the shading/colour shift so apparent when Saffron is used with mono-line nibs? or is a wide Italic nib required to get the colour shift?

Sandy, I'm using Saffron in a moderately wet round broad nib. I get similar shading to what is shown in the first part of the review scans (the writing that is more orange than red-brown). This ink is a real chameleon, much moreso than Herbin Orange Indien (which has lovely shading as well, but Orange Indien is darker and its shading is not as apparent as Saffron's). Saffron ranges from golden amber to pumpkin orange to campfire red to wet clay brown; there are lots of little variations and hidden notes, like in a really wonderful, complex wine. It's one of my favorite orange inks.

I echo previous posts - very informational review with the comparison, ink flow adjust and frank opinion. The calligraphy alone is a feast to the eyes! Please continue to provide such great reviews! Thanks.

We can trust the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. - Immanual Kant

One thing to note is that this ink color is impossible to see accurately on a computer screen. I think you did a wonderful job on this review, Crewel, and I'm not talking at all about the work you did. Of all the inks I did in my Swab Shop, this one was hands down the hardest to get to look even remotely like it does in person. I'm sure you found the same thing when posting this review! This ink is very complex and fascinating to see in person, and is simply incapable of being accurately reflected on a computer monitor due to the laws of physics. I highly recommend trying the ink as it's quite enjoyable and very fascinating to use!!

Brian Goulet</br><a href='http://www.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>www.GouletPens.com</a></br><a href='http://twitter.com/GouletPens' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>GouletPens on Twitter</a></br><a href='http://blog.gouletpens.com' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Goulet Pens blog</a>

Thank you for the review. Beautiful italic writing. Both og these inks are my absolute favourite orange inks. I have one or other of them inked in a pen all the time. I never thought I would like orange inks but these two are outstanding and have beautiful shading qualities. I use them for personal use, although I have written shopping lists with them and birthday cards.

Hetty

I too love this ink. I think your first scan in the review actually comes close to capturing its appearance, which is, as noted above, perhaps not possible. For me, on paper it looks actually, like Saffron looks. :rolleyes:

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard

"Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

Thanks everyone for your kind words. As some have noted, this ink is very complex. The shading range is very wide and varied.

In a monoline nib, I think it is possible to replicate what you see in the scans, but it depends on the speed of the individual's writing and the wetness of the nib. I find that drier nibs will give a narrower range in the lighter shades while wetter nibs will tend to give you the full gamut because everyone's writing is a combination of fast, lighter strokes and slow (relative), heavier (relative) strokes.

I chose to use a straight edge Calligraphy pen to better show off the full capability of this ink because the style is done at slow to moderate speed (at least for me) so there is more chance for more ink to get laid down. My personal preference is for the darker range of the shades because they remind me of the robes that Shaolin monks wear. :D

Sandy, I'm using Saffron in a moderately wet round broad nib. I get similar shading to what is shown in the first part of the review scans (the writing that is more orange than red-brown). This ink is a real chameleon, much moreso than Herbin Orange Indien (which has lovely shading as well, but Orange Indien is darker and its shading is not as apparent as Saffron's). Saffron ranges from golden amber to pumpkin orange to campfire red to wet clay brown; there are lots of little variations and hidden notes, like in a really wonderful, complex wine. It's one of my favorite orange inks.

Thank-you so much.

So now I have yet another ink on my Wish List.

I have the Pilot yu-yaki, (written sample: Please Click Me), but have found it to have exquisite shading, manners, etc. it just doesn't do the 'chameleon'.

AND I need to work on my penmanship - right after I've saved the whales.

Bye,

S1

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/yu-yake_sample/FPN262.jpg

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Oh my...I think I just fell in love. I was about to place Orange Indien in my basket when I saw your review. Is it correct to assume that there is shading in the Saffron ink and not in Orange Indien? If so, then I might want the one that shades rather than one that is just consistent in color.

The appropriate amount of pens to own is (n + 1), n being the number of pens you own currently.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Rain24, Orange Indien does shade, depending on how wet the pen is, but it's not as obvious or as beautiful or as many different variations in tone as the Saffron. Orange Indien is a lovely ink but Saffron is simply outstanding.

"Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light." - Groucho Marx

These orange inks like Caran d'Ache Saffron are really wonderful inks. So far, in addition to Saffron, I've got J. Herbin Orange Indien, Noodler's Apache Sunset, and Iroshizuku Yu-Yake. All are just a little different, which makes them worthwhile.

I would echo karinh's comments in that Orange Indien does shade, but you would not get the variation that Saffron provides. At the least I highly recommend people to try it out. Mine was a sample from Brian Goulet (no affiliation, just a very satisfied customer) as well as Pear Tree (no affiliation, etc.) would love to provide a sample. Too bad I have to get a bottle for myself soon. :roflmho:

Thanks for the clarifications, karinh and Crewel. The color is just luscious. I need a bottle. NEED! :puddle:

Then again, I need a pen to put that ink in. Something to bring out that beautiful shading. Oh dear.

The appropriate amount of pens to own is (n + 1), n being the number of pens you own currently.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

seems very similar to Noodler's Habanero...Does anyone have both to do a comparison?

Give up my fountain pen? You'll have to pry it from my cold, dead, inkstained, hands!

Well, the ink was already gorgeous but your handwriting puts it over the top! thumbup.gif

Good job on the review!

I've never tried a Caran D'ache ink but have only heard good reports. I hope to try one soon, this one maybe.

Regards,

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Great review! If I was asked about one ink whose looks I liked the best, it would be Saffron. I will probably get another bottle despite its horrible (non)practicality.

In permanent denial