Merlin Merlina

jomielll

Although I'm still quite new at 6 pens I decided to post this review since I haven't seen many mention of the Merlina. Please feel free to give me any feedback.

Appearance & Design

The Merlina is a celluloid pen, I bought the storm gray color from richardspens.com. I had purchased it together with a Pelikan m205 and Richard had placed both pens in the Pelikan box--when I opened the box the Merlina seemed quite small, even though m205 is on the small size too.

The golden band and clip on the cap is very slightly polished gold, giving it a great vintage look. The celluloid is smooth and the gray design quite random, so when I post the pen the different streaks matching up gives the optical illusion that the pen is crooked :o

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4115/4894392615_382a407b28_z.jpg

I like how the nib is small to match the small pen:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4078/4894394391_61645ee604_z.jpg

Construction & Quality

I have dropped this pen a few times and it's also ended up at the bottom of my purse, seemed to survive well so far. It's a great size for a purse pen!

Weight & Dimensions

The Merlina is smaller than the Merlin, here are comparisons with a Pelikan m205, Pilot Decimo, and Esterbrook LJ.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4138/4868357064_91285be627_z.jpg

It is not that much smaller in the length than the other pens posted but is much slimmer.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4136/4868357348_b1d14aa4f2_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4123/4894987612_3364786e33_z.jpg

I like to post my pens and the Merlina has great balance posted. Unposted it feels a tad too small and too light.

Nib & Performance

Richard's Merlins and Merlinas are F-XF and either semi-flex or full flex, and mine turned out to be a XF semi-flex. It's a 14k 585 gold nib. The nib is smooth and has slight feedback if I'm writing on a single sheet of paper. I am enjoying my first semi-flex a lot!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4123/4894987924_981ecb1ff6_z.jpg

Filling System & Maintenance

The Merlina is a button filler. The capacity is quite small at around 0.25ml, so it's not a pen for all day writing or school notes. But it is a very enjoyable writing experience that I don't mind that flexing eats up the ink!

So far I've been only refilling it with Pelikan blue-black, but I imagine flushing the ink out will require a lot of patience.... (Any tips?) :hmm1:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4137/4894394671_d8dec21fd3_z.jpg

Cost & Value

I bought the Merlina for $55 at richardspens.com and I think it's a pretty good value for a vintage semi-flex.

Its writing:

Unflexed:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4077/4894990794_72bbffd524_z.jpg

Some flexing:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4135/4894395341_39af3f067b_z.jpg

Compared to some other pens:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4141/4894398107_c3ae299c3d_z.jpg

Conclusion

The Merlina is an excellent pen, I am tempted to buy another! Being new to fountain pens, having a button filler is a little strange, and I think it'll take a long time to flush my pen clean. For the fun of semi-flex though, I'll gladly do it. It's quite slim so if you do not enjoy writing with small pens you might take a look at the larger Merlin. But I like the Merlina a lot precisely because it is small and cute.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robert Alan

• Moynihan

• SarahS

• jomielll

Very nice review. I have the Merlin Merlina also and I concur with your assessment - a very nice pen for very little cost.

"I'm not superstitious -- I'm just a little stitious." Michael G. Scott

the merlin33 and merlina are classy, vintage pens. both of mine were great and had great flex, which vary from pen to pen. i sold them for some dumb reason:/

I have 2 of the 33's, Also from Binder's. An exceptional deal. I too say :thumbup:

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard

"Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

this is a really cute pen. pity the ink capacity is low, thanks for a cute pen and a cute review.

rgds.

krishna.

ladies and gentlemen write with fountain pens only.

• 3 weeks later...

If one learns to write forefinger up...I write "long" finger, so my thumb nail is even with the first joint, and I post. So no pen is too thin, nor thick, nor long.

I had been looking for one for over a year, on German and English Ebay. The one I saw happened when I was broke.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

This is a wonderful review! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts.

Regarding flushing the button-filler, it should not be any different from flushing a lever-filler, for example. Simply fill and empty the pen with cool water. Sometimes, it might be becessary to hold down the button while gently shaking off large drops of water over the sink (Although a different filling system, I do this, sometimes, with my Pilot CON-70 vacuum-filler converter and Parker Vacumatics, too). Much of the ink and water should be evacuated with enough force when the button is depressed. However, it may be a good idea to wrap a tissue around the nib, holding it firmly, but gently around the section (don't put pressure on the nib and feed), and shake out the remaining water into the tissue. Be careful not to throw your pen across the room! Using distilled water would be a good idea if you believe your tap water contains impurities.

If you are not aware of how a button-filler works, It functions on the same principle as a lever or Conklin-type Crescent-filler (depressing a rubber sack). The button filler was invented by Parker, as far as I know, so the company wouldn't have to pay to use the Sheaffer designed lever-filler--or any other filling system. It is quite a clever and serviceable design.

Thanks again for your review.

Regards, Robert

edited a "typo."

Edited by Robert Alan

No matter where you go, there you are.

Regarding flushing the button-filler, ...

I agree. I have two of the larger size Merlin 33's. I love them, but I do find them a little harder to flush comfortably. Nothing to do with the mechanism. Rather, the pen's size is hard for me to hold onto and flush (the vintage material is "slippery, I have medium sized hands).

Great pens though, and i always have one of them inked.

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard

"Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

Regarding flushing the button-filler, ...

I agree. I have two of the larger size Merlin 33's. I love them, but I do find them a little harder to flush comfortably. Nothing to do with the mechanism. Rather, the pen's size is hard for me to hold onto and flush (the vintage material is "slippery, I have medium sized hands).

Great pens though, and i always have one of them inked.

Hello again everyone!

Try using “Get-a-Grip” Gripper Squares from Richard's Pens to get a positive hold on your pen. They come in a package of three for $4 and they work great. Also, they won't harm any pen surface.

BTW, I went over to Richard's Pens and it looks like the Merlina 33 pens are sold out.

Regards, Robert

No matter where you go, there you are.