• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• suhao

• elysee

• Pen Nut

• Edgar Allan Bo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Because the refill is threaded in it is virtually impossible to use a different refill. I have seen people who crammed stuff, like paper etc up in the body of the rollerball to hold an alternative refill in but then when they thread the fore-part back on they strip the threading on the forepart because the fit is not right. sadly i suspect the answer to your question is no.

Can anyone make an adapttor for a Legrand rollerball to allow the use of alternative refills?

Why? You wouldn't like a Mercedes Benz with a Smart engine, do you?

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

Can anyone make an adapttor for a Legrand rollerball to allow the use of alternative refills?

It is clear that you are not too familiar with Montblanc refills. I have about 100 refills old style new style any style and yet there seems to be a problem with all. My 162S might be a Mercedes but the refill sure is not.

I was not looking for a different refill...I gave up on that a while ago but actualy trying to find somone that can nmake a new nose cone which would allow me to use a standard schmidt refill. Cusrtis Australia did not have a roller till I unquired and within 3 month they made an adaptor for their fountain pens that converted them to rollers. Basically I am looking for a crafty pen guy.

Is the smart engine not a Mercedes Benz one ?

Anyway despite what others post on here I do fit other refills to my 162 Le Grand Montblanc. The G2 refills are the easiest to modify by gently pulling forward the metal tip of the refill by around 3mm. Dab of super glue in the recess you have created and its done! Used this three times with no problems or loss of ink supply.

Will try to post pics in a day or two.

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Is the smart engine not a Mercedes Benz one ?

Anyway despite what others post on here I do fit other refills to my 162 Le Grand Montblanc. The G2 refills are the easiest to modify by gently pulling forward the metal tip of the refill by around 3mm. Dab of super glue in the recess you have created and its done! Used this three times with no problems or loss of ink supply.

Will try to post pics in a day or two.

:notworthy1: G2 instead of MB refills!

(yes, I want a TOYOTA engine in a Mercedes-Benz!) :P

Please make some pics of that... thanx!

Edited by Edgar Allan Bo

I have just acquired a NOS 164 BP and was wondering what alternative refills would fit that ?

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

I have just acquired a NOS 164 BP and was wondering what alternative refills would fit that ?

Monteverde makes two types of refills, soft roll and gel ink, that fit Montblanc ballpoints. The soft roll refill comes in medium and broad and the gel ink refill comes in fine, medium, and broad. You can access the Monteverde refill catalog at http://www.monteverd...de_refills.html.

For my Montblanc rollerball pens, I use either the Cross Gel Ink Selectip (rollerball) refill with a little well-placed tape on the stem to create the necessary ridge or a Monteverde Gel Ink refill for Montblanc ballpoint pens with the Montblanc extender snapped into the end. Due to the narrowness of the stems of each of these refills, the threading in the "nib" end of the pen is not a problem -- each refill fits nicely in place without any problems. You can view pictures of the Montblanc ballpoint pen refill extender in my posting #13 in the "Is There Any Ballpoint Refill That Fits The Meisterstück Le Grand Rollerball?" topic.

I included two pictures of a Cross Gel Ink Selectip (rollerball) refill taped to fit a Montblanc rollerball pen below.

Full view of taped Cross Gel Ink Selectip (rollerball) refill

post-33231-001393900 1282801192.png

Close up of stem of taped Cross Gel Ink Selectip (rollerball) refill

post-33231-063680900 1282801216.png

I have found these two options a nice alternative to the Montblanc rollerball refill which is too dry and too scratchy for my writing tastes.

• 2 weeks later...

For my Montblanc rollerball pens, I use either the Cross Gel Ink Selectip (rollerball) refill with a little well-placed tape on the stem to create the necessary ridge or a Monteverde Gel Ink refill for Montblanc ballpoint pens with the Montblanc extender snapped into the end. Due to the narrowness of the stems of each of these refills, the threading in the "nib" end of the pen is not a problem -- each refill fits nicely in place without any problems. You can view pictures of the Montblanc ballpoint pen refill extender in my posting #13 in the "Is There Any Ballpoint Refill That Fits The Meisterstück Le Grand Rollerball?" topic.

I included two pictures of a Cross Gel Ink Selectip (rollerball) refill taped to fit a Montblanc rollerball pen below.

I have found these two options a nice alternative to the Montblanc rollerball refill which is too dry and too scratchy for my writing tastes.

That's really good. Take the rollerball refill that I have found to dry up fastest and put some stuff on it so it will go into a Meisterstuck rollerball, which, due to its nose-heaviness, is the best of the rollerballs, and which achieves the best and highest use of a rollerball . . .as a dart.

Well, at least with the smaller Meisterstuck rollerballs you can discard the dart head and screw in a. . .fountain pen section. :rolleyes:

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 11 months later...

I have some Fischer Space Pen BP refills that are listed to be used in a MB. They come with a plastic adapter. Would these fit?

No they don't fit, I tried in my Starwalkers and no go.

• 8 months later...

OK, I know that this is a couple year old thread but thanks for this tip. I have a new Montblanc Meisterstuck Classic rollerball. I am very much enjoying the feel of the pen and the ink but I am a tinkerer and thought I'd check out whether other inks might be better. So I got a Cross gel refill as suggested and compared to Montblanc medium and fine refills. The Cross I got it a .7mm which doesn't sound like a medium to me but it actually is a bit thicker than the Montblanc medium. It rolls smoothy and is a bit less scratchy then the Montblanc. I am assuming this is because it is a gel. The difference is not enormous and I certainly won't be getting rid of the Montblanc refills I have, but there is a difference and I do like the feel better.

• 6 months later...

Just to revive the thread again - I probably have committed heresy here and actually put a Waterman ballpoint refill in my Starwalker rollerball. The refills are about the same size and shape, so all it needed to stay in place was a little tape at the top. The rollerball wasnt practical at work for me as I usually keep the lid off in between notes during the day. The pen was a gift and I really wanted to make good use of it so this has made it perfect for me :-)

• 2 years later...

Hi, I have tried several times to find a refill for the montblanc Legrande, and now I have found a solution I would like to share, my pen was useless, a new refill dried up in no time or leaked or both. the leaking was caused by an incorrect tip protector which was fixed by the Montblanc shop in the royal exchange in the royal exchange Cornhill, very helpful.

the refill, I got the solution on a forum, may have been this one, but just to say it works like a dream, I have had the same refill in for 4 months and works perfect everytime.

Buy a cross Gell Rollerball refill 0.7mm 0614 8521
take the blue travel cap off and cut down to the think end and mount on the end of the ink reserve

as simple as that, if you find the nib moves a fraction when you write, add a tiny bit of clear tape at the end of the silver tip ad black plastic.

all done, fantastic

post-122897-0-67287600-1432245559_thumb.jpg

post-122897-0-56299200-1432245560_thumb.jpg

post-122897-0-01595300-1432245561_thumb.jpg