Noodler's Texas Blue Bonnet

tonybelding

http://zobeid.zapto.org/image/pens/texas_blue_bonnet.jpg

I've been trying to spread the word about this ink for A While, but then today I realized there's never been a full review. I had to do something about that!

The slight greenish tinge of this ink is truly not noticeable until you put it side-by-side with other blue inks. It's not a highly vivid color like BSB, or even quite as vivid as standard Noodler's Blue. However, it also does not have the "chalky" look that some other bulletproof/eternal blues have suffered from. It has the best shading of any bulletproof ink I've tried, and is more resistant to feathering than most of them (with the exception of Black). To me it's a rich and relaxed color. I love the appearance and writing characteristics of this ink, but I'm also just a bit wary of it.

This ink sometimes leaves a bit of greasy blue deposit on nibs and feeds. It wipes off easily and hasn't caused any problems, but it does nag at me a little. Noodler's Black, Legal Lapis, and Violet Vote don't do that, so I'd consider Texas Blue Bonnet a higher maintenance ink. I guess this is the price paid for its many other attractive qualities.

It does have a somewhat funny smell, though not nearly as strong as BSB. It's not 100% waterproof, as there is a cyan component that rinses out, but what remains is very legible. Bleach will further reduce the color, but again there's a perfectly legible trace remaining. From Nathan Tardiff's comments about this ink, it seems to be a close relative of the Warden series inks, and it should be resistant to energy attacks.

Texas Blue Bonnet is an exclusive ink, only available through Dromgoole's Fine Writing Instruments of Houston Texas. That is dromgooles.com! And yes, their website is basically worthless, but you can give them a call or send an email and they'll take care of you. They do ship!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tonybelding

• mori45

• RobbW

• fabrimedeiros

Thanks for the review. Nice job! Looks like a blue blue-black on my monitor. I always think that I am going to like a blue black, then I buy it, draw one fill, then do a "static kill" move on the bottle and it sits on the shelf.

Although it does look nice.

Peter

Blue blue-black? I hadn't ever thought of it that way. I do think the scan is a bit dark, and it looks slightly more greenish (i.e. teal/turquoise-ish) on paper than it does on my monitor. But you know, getting scans to look exactly like the real thing is pretty near hopeless.

Edited by tonybelding

LOVE the review, and I agree, a review of TBB has been long overdue. Your review is especially helpful with the side-by-side comparison with so many other familiar blues. I have BSB, Florida Blue, and Presidential, so it gives me a better overall sense of the TBB. I really like the shading of the Bluebonnet--the Noodler's I own are more saturated and don't shade. Do you mix Bluebonnet with water to get that shading effect, or do you use it as is? The only negative I can see is the slightly longer drying time, compared to the bulletproof Noodler's I happen to own and use, all of which are extremely fast dryers.

Thanks again for the review.

Edited by RobbW

Do you mix Bluebonnet with water, or use it as is? The only negative I can see is the slightly longer drying time, compared to the bulletproof Noodler's I happen to own and use, all of which are extremely fast dryers.

I've been using it straight out of the bottle, without dilution.

Drying time is probably somewhat slower than Legal Lapis, Violet Vote, Heart of Darkness. . . Rollabind paper isn't particularly absorbent, so ink doesn't dry fast on it anyhow. (Certainly not in comparison with Levenger Circa paper!)

Do you mix Bluebonnet with water, or use it as is? The only negative I can see is the slightly longer drying time, compared to the bulletproof Noodler's I happen to own and use, all of which are extremely fast dryers.

I've been using it straight out of the bottle, without dilution.

Drying time is probably somewhat slower than Legal Lapis, Violet Vote, Heart of Darkness. . . Rollabind paper isn't particularly absorbent, so ink doesn't dry fast on it anyhow. (Certainly not in comparison with Levenger Circa paper!)

We're really spoiled with HOD. Mine dries seemingly instantly. I have to try hard to get it to smudge, and even then it's difficult. My BSB and BSConcord Grape dry nearly as fast (I say mine because I know each batch of Noodler's may be slightly different). TBB is on my "next to buy" list, along with Kung de Cheng and a few others.

I like this ink! It looks like it's very saturated and has a bit of green or aqua to it. It's unusual in a good way!

Every paper is better with Blue Bonnet on it! (ba da bump!)

- OPG4711

I have this ink and have stopped using it because it tend to clog my pen, a Hero 200. It does have a nice color...pity.

Thanks for the great review! What a pretty and vibrant blue!

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

I have this ink and have stopped using it because it tend to clog my pen, a Hero 200. It does have a nice color...pity.

Did you try mixing it with distilled water, and did that help any?

I've heard you mention this ink a few times, it's nice to finally see what you're talking about :D

The above shall not be construed as legal advice under any circumstances

Thanks for the review! Nice color and for me is nice that TBB is bulletproof. On my monitor TBB looks like Noodler's Luxury Blue, which I do like.

Did you try mixing it with distilled water, and did that help any?

You're right, most of Noodler's are quite saturated and sometimes can clog some dry (or not wet) pens. Add distilled water is a good suggestion for better behavour. Sometimes we need add water even 40-50%. On my Noodler's Polar Blue, I added 40% of water ( for ex. 6ml of ink and 4mL of water distilled) and it became far better in flow and stopped feathering problems. However, it didn't become pale or watery.

I want to add something here. . . As I've noted before, Noodler's inks vary from batch to batch in saturation and sometimes in other qualities. The sample I used in the review was from the original release of 301 little 1-oz bottles. I also have a full-sized 3.4-ounce bottle, and it is a little different. It's slightly darker and more blue-black than the small bottle (and a bit less attractive, to me). It's a little closer to Legal Lapis, you might say. I'm not sure if diluting it would bring it back to a more blue tone, I haven't tried that experiment yet.

I have been working on a mixture that I think may be worthy of consideration, and a lot more trouble-free. It looks promising! :eureka:

I'll post more info about that after I've given it a good test to make sure it doesn't become sludge, etc.

• 1 month later...

I wasn't sure of this color when I first got it at the Dallas show in '09. It now stays loaded in my Sheaffer Admiral. The nib does seem to always have extra ink on it, but it writes wonderfully.

And mine is one of the 301 as well, #1 if they fully number their bottles.

I initially disliked it for only one reason. I have always written in black, and only black. When I loaded this up the first time, it shows 2 tone. The more ink that lays down on the paper, the darker it gets.

Edited by CobraKai

Peace and Understanding

TBB= Iroshizuku ku-jaku= Edelstein Topaz....more or less. Greenish-blue-y turquoise, rally nice colors....how it presents depends on pen/nib & paper choices.

Edited by SnowLeopard

Is it just me or this a duller Bad Blue Heron?

I have both BBH and Texas Bluebonnet, and to my eye, Texas Blue Bonnet is a nicer, darker blue. And the shading, just beautiful, with a nice wet nib.

Edited by jgrasty

Is it just me or this a duller Bad Blue Heron?

I have both BBH and Texas Bluebonnet, and to my eye, Texas Blue Bonnet is a nicer, darker blue. And the shading, just beautiful, with a nice wet nib.

Poor word choice on my part--read dull as less vibrant. Both are really good looking blues.