Nakaya Brair Gloss Type

daryllwin

Hi everyone

Here’s my review of my Nakaya Brair Gloss.

I’m just starting out with my pen collection, and decided to get a Nakaya as my grail pen.

I liked the look of the Brair model, but wanted to have a gloss protection layer on its surface, hence the gloss type. Can’t understand why they have to charge $150 more just for the gloss layer.

Anyways, I placed an order on their website, and they sent me an email telling me to go to their dealer in Singapore, Aesthetic Bay. When I went there, I realized they didn’t stock Brair wood pens, so I had to get back to them and requested for them to make the pen.

After a month and a half, it finally arrived.

First impression (9/10)

The pen came in a nice white box full of bubble wrap. Inside was the standard Nakaya wooden box. The wood used to make this box is really light, but it serves its purpose well.

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy242/daryllwin/Nakaya/P8010007.jpg

Inside it, there was my pack of 10 free ink cartridges, the international cartridge converter, the pistion converter and of course, the pen wrapped in a nice cloth bag.

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy242/daryllwin/Nakaya/P8010008.jpg

Unwrapping it, I finally saw my long awaited grail pen.

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy242/daryllwin/Nakaya/P8010011.jpg

First look at the pen( 9/10)

The pen has a flawless gloss coating, and the outside of it is pretty much as I expected. The gold clip is nice and shiny, and the wood grail makes it look very classy IMHO. The pen seems to be made from separate pieces of wood, with the top of the pen not matching the bottom.

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy242/daryllwin/Nakaya/P8010012.jpg

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy242/daryllwin/Nakaya/P8010013.jpg

Opening the pen(7/10)

Here’s where my biggest disappointment with the pen lies. When buying the pen, I knew that the cap was not the screw on type. Instead, it is the kind that clicks on the pen. However, I find that by twisting the cap a little, the pen tends to loosen from its housing. In my opinion, Nakaya could have done a better job of securing the pen.

On to writing(10/10)

One good thing that came out of letting them test the pen with ink was that I received a free extra ink cartridge. I have since finished the cartridge, but it was nice none the less.

The nib was the first flexible nib that I have tried. Without exerting too much pressure on it, the nib functions like a normal fountain pen, and glides over the paper like a paintbrush. Once a little pressure is applied, the nib bends, and the line becomes about twice as thick. I struggled a bit at first, but I think my handwriting is at least decent now. When I tried using the pen with Parker Quink however, the lines tended to separate into two distinct lines. Guess I’ll have to stick to ink that flows better.

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy242/daryllwin/Nakaya/P8010015.jpg

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy242/daryllwin/Nakaya/P7090013.jpg

Overall(9/10)

Despite it having that one major flaw, I think the pen is worthy of being my grail for a very long time. Thanks Nakaya!

P.S. After placing my order, I decided to try out my skills at carpentry, and made a stand similar to the one they sell on their website. Comments are welcome!

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy242/daryllwin/Nakaya/P8010016.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• daryllwin

• watch_art

• Inked

• Preetham

Love the packaging. Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

i'm interested in a Nakaya Briarwood pen with gloss but i'm still undecided between the light and dark type. some photos show the dark gloss as almost pure black while others show the dark gloss at just the right darkness, with wood patterns clearly distinguishable. What i need is to see one in person.

Aesthetic Bay only has the Platinum Briarwood Matte, and not the glossy Nakaya Briarwood. Pity.

Please check out my blogshop for fountain pens and inks at http://inkoholicanonymous.blogspot.com/ Reviews of my pens can be found there too!

This is lovely :) Not a fan of gold hardware, but this is one instance in which it seems perfect!

Tamara

@ "I find that by twisting the cap a little, the pen tends to loosen from its housing."

Could you provide a little more info on your critique item, please? Maybe I'm just not understanding what you mean. This same pen was my very first Nakaya some time ago and I haven't noticed any loosening.

It's just a bit shorter than I prefer (I write uncapped) but I subsequently found the Neo is perfect for my hand size...glove size large.

I always get a kick out of these "no affiliation" notations when it's blatantly obvious the poster has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, company, etc. beyond being a customer. It must be a feel-good/feel-important thing. So I'll note up front that nothing I write here on this forum is influenced by any financial-gain motivation.

@ "I find that by twisting the cap a little, the pen tends to loosen from its housing."

Could you provide a little more info on your critique item, please? Maybe I'm just not understanding what you mean. This same pen was my very first Nakaya some time ago and I haven't noticed any loosening.

It's just a bit shorter than I prefer (I write uncapped) but I subsequently found the Neo is perfect for my hand size...glove size large.

Oh. Sorry about being a little vague.

I was referring to the screw threads that join the grip to the wooden housing.

The screw doesn't have any form of locking mechanism, so when the pen Is capped, and I turn the cap ever so slightly, that screw becomes loose.

I hope that helps. Not really sure how to explain it. Heh

Oh. Regarding the size. I think I've just got small Asian hands, and since I started off my fountain pen collection with the pelican 215 and the sailor Sapporo, guess I'm just used to the size.

This is lovely :) Not a fan of gold hardware, but this is one instance in which it seems perfect!

Thanks! I definitely agree with your sentiments actually.

Don't really like gold in general, but in this case, i think gold was the right choice.

Edited by daryllwin

Awesome pen! I love your stand too. You did a very good job making it!

Regards,

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

The nib looks very much like Pilots FA nib with those big cutouts on either side.

Could we get a writing sample? Or just some scribbles? :thumbup:

Thanks!

Edited by watch_art

Thanks for the writing sample. It is quite similar looking to my 742 FA. The nib and the writing.

Does it keep up with your writing? Or do you have to go really slow?

Railroading like the "t" in "soft" very often?

Hi guys

Thanks for the compliments on the stand. I used somew leftover wood I had. Think it was supposed to be the wall skirting.

The cutting and gluing didn't take too long, maybe an hour at most. However, the varnish took a while as i tried to apply multiple layers. Somehow didn't seem to get it right tho. Not the smooth layer that I hoped to achieve.

Oh. About the ink flow. The pen keeps up with my writing no problem. Of course, I can draw a line faster thanthe nib can dispense ink, but normal writing is ok.

Thanks againfor all the compliments guys!