#1 dizzypen

dizzypen

Swimming in a sea of Noodler's Navy!

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2010 - 17:03

This review along with all my others can be found at The Dizzy Pen.

I happened upon this ink when I was looking for an ink to improve the flow of my Pilot Custom 823. I have to tell you I was pleasantly surprised by this ink. Not only is the flow magnificent, but the lubrication is out of this world! It is SMOOOOOOOOOOOTH. It's quite easily the smoothest ink I've ever used. This smoothness is the result of additional lubricants that are added to Noodler's American Eel Inks. You can find Nathan Tardiff's (founder and maker of Noodler's Ink) write up for the American Eel Series here (just scroll down past the Legal Lapis stuff). I don't have any pens with stiff seals, so I can't comment on whether or not Nathan's claims are true, but I can confirm that slick/smooth feeling.

Here's the details:

• No feathering or bleed through.

• The flow and lubrication are magnificent.

• The drying time is average to slow at about 10 seconds.

• There is some shading. If you are a printer you'll notice this more.

• There is absolutely no waterproof-ness to this ink.

I really just wanted an eel ink, and since I use blue inks the most I figured blue would make the most sense, but let me tell you, I was more than pleasantly surprised with this color. It has some turquoise undertones to it that make it more than just your standard blue. I really really like it! So, I not only have an eel ink to improve flow and lubrication, but I've also added a very appealing blue to my ink collection. I love it when things like this happen.

(click to enlarge this image)

class="alignnone size-full wp-image-250" title="ND Eel Blue Card" src="http://dizzypen.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/nd-eel-blue-card.jpg" alt="" width="294" height="198" />

No Affil.
Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

#2 777

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2010 - 17:21

Great review! That ink looks like noodlers navajo turquoise. I've never tried any eel inks before so this might be the firstPosted Image

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

Posted Image

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

#3 AtomicLeo

AtomicLeo

AtomicLeo

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2010 - 18:29

I own both the black and blue from the American Eel series and love both inks. Much better than the standard BP black and blue. Well behaved in all of my pens. Some nib creep with the black but not as much as Noodler's Walnut or BP Black. The blue just jumps out on a page. I think it's just as bright as Baystate Blue without all the headaches.
Atomic Leo

#4 ehebert

ehebert

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:22

I love the Eel inks. I have Navajo Turquoise, Cactus Fruit, Gruene Cactus & Rattler Red. All of the colors are rich & free-flowing. I'm going to get a bottle of this ink as well, as soon as I use up my Lamy blue cartridges.

Also, Dizzypen, I like how you included a close up of the index card. It's great to see a detailed view of the ink on paper.

#5 tonybelding

tonybelding

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:05

I tried Blue American Eel a couple of years ago. I loved the color, it was a very pure blue. I liked the lubrication too. Mine showed more feathering more than I liked -- but it was probably just another of those batch variations that we keep running into with Noodler's. (I also hadn't yet caught onto the trick of dilution that helps some Noodler's inks behave better.)

#6 fabrimedeiros

fabrimedeiros

BROAD ITALIC/STUB ADDICTED

• Member - Gold

• 1,804 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 13:02

This is my second best blue (first: Noodler's Baystate Blue), but FIRST in terms of behavior. The only regret is that Eel Blue is not waterproof as I wish, which is essential for my job. Although, when I work at home, it's not necessary, and I can enjoy this great blue color. I've been using it in my two Montblanc 146, that need a special care with their piston system, in order to assure their always smoothess. Both were stiff piston fillers, but, after 1 or 2 months using EB, they became quite smooth. I hope Nathan doesn't change its formulation, as hapened to Polar Blue, that was changed and became horrible.

Fabricio

Edited by fabrimedeiros, 28 July 2010 - 13:10.

#7 dizzypen

dizzypen

Swimming in a sea of Noodler's Navy!

• Moderators

• 3,975 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2010 - 15:05

I love the Eel inks. I have Navajo Turquoise, Cactus Fruit, Gruene Cactus & Rattler Red. All of the colors are rich & free-flowing. I'm going to get a bottle of this ink as well, as soon as I use up my Lamy blue cartridges.

Also, Dizzypen, I like how you included a close up of the index card. It's great to see a detailed view of the ink on paper.

I'm glad you like it! I'm running out of room on my flickr account, so I'm hosting my pictures on my blog now. Seems to be working out pretty well. I also like the close-up feature.
Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

#8 jniforat

jniforat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,776 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 21:50

great review!!! this is one of the inks a few people suggested to use instead of BSB. I think the "Print" really brings out the blue!

#9 Big Turtle

Big Turtle

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2011 - 00:37

Somehow I bought a bottle of this a few months ago. I CAN'T STAND THE COLOR. Its not really blue or black but some kind of dull blue. Writes well in all of my (inexpensive to cheap) pens. No smearing or feathering on the cheap paper that I write on (Moleskin knock offs).

What I'm looking for is a match to the blue of a "sharpie" pen blue. Any suggestions? Going to try Private Reserve American blue and DC penshow blue.

John
When I ride my road bike I start slow and then taper off.

#10 Big Turtle

Big Turtle

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2011 - 00:37

Somehow I bought a bottle of this a few months ago. I CAN'T STAND THE COLOR. Its not really blue or black but some kind of dull blue. Writes well in all of my (inexpensive to cheap) pens. No smearing or feathering on the cheap paper that I write on (Moleskin knock offs).

What I'm looking for is a match to the blue of a "sharpie" pen blue. Any suggestions? Going to try Private Reserve American blue and DC penshow blue.

John
When I ride my road bike I start slow and then taper off.

#11 The Classicist

The Classicist

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2011 - 00:50

[...]The only regret is that Eel Blue is not waterproof as I wish, which is essential for my job. Although, when I work at home, it's not necessary, and I can enjoy this great blue color. [...] I hope Nathan doesn't change its formulation, as hapened to Polar Blue, that was changed and became horrible.

Fabricio

I agree with the waterproof qualities being completely necessary, but how was the first iteration of Polar Blue different from the current one?
I'm a Classics student at Augustana College. You can read my blog at pennedhouse.blogspot.com if you want. There will be plenty about languages, pens (modern and vintage) and paper as well. Hope you stop by and comment!

#12 corniche

corniche

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,063 posts
  • Location:No one will tell me & I've never been good at geography
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2011 - 14:19

John

Greetings John,

If you're looking for a brilliant Sharpie like blue; try Quink Permanent Blue, Aurora Blue or PR DC Blue.

All the best,

Sean :)

Catholicism is the law of life, the life of the intelligence, the solution to all problems.  Catholicism is the Truth and everything that departs from it, one iota, is disorder, deception and error. - Juan D. Cortés

Catholics Come Home.org