Rohrer & Klingner Salix

dandelion

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/TEthSf7gIyI/AAAAAAAAfW8/54YLr2UIxU8/r%26k%20salix_2010%20jul%2024_0156.JPG

This is the short version of my review of Rohrer and Klingner's Salix. For more text and photos see here on my blog.

I can't really tell why I am so fond of iron gall ink. It might be that it is made from iron and I am from a country rich of iron and there is houses painted in iron oxide and copper red all over. Or that it is a traditional ink. Or the exquisite shading. Or the non-feathering. That it often writes on the dryish side. I don't know, but like them I do and I was therefore happy to finally try Rohrer and Klingner's Salix. Salix is the latin name for the tree family that the willow tree belong to, but I don't know if this means that they have used nuts from the willow tree to create the tannin acid used for the ink. The tannin acid is then used together with some iron vitriol (iron sulphate) together with other stuff to finally become an ink, but the base for it all is tannin acid and iron vitriol. This base gives the ink the permanent - document proof - characteristic that has been valued through centuries. A detailed description of how to make iron gall ink and its properties can be found here. The "real" iron gall inks I had tried before the Salix is R&K's Scabiosa and Diamine Registrar's Ink. The Salix mostly differ from them in regards to colour. The Registrar's ink grows very dark and grey-blue-black with a faint blue tone and the Scabiosa is an original muted, dusty, greyish purple.

Despite the nice blue colour and pleasant writing properties - on the dry side, but in non-dry pens that isn't a problem - my main reason for incorporating it in my regular rotation is that it is a highly practical ink. It is waterproof which makes it very attractive for all sorts of note taking. It is also extremely non-feathering and doesn't bleed through easily.

Pros:

The fast drying time makes it a great ink for note taking and highlighting. It doesn't smear.

The excellent water proof characteristics also makes it a good study ink - no smear if used with highlighters. One can basically pour a cup of coffee over a sheet of notes and rinse the sheet thoroughly to get rid of the coffee and still have the notes perfectly intact.

The non-feathering and non-bleed through properties makes it an excellent ink for note taking and scribbling - it works on all kind of paper without feathering or bleed. Perfect for studying and extensive writers.

The shading is excellent and gives the ink character - especially in a broader or wetter nib.

It is cheap.

Cons:

Even if modern iron galls are a great deal nicer than traditional ones it is good to flush the pens properly after each use.

Pens that has a flow on the dry side can have problems with the Salix.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/TEtjfOhVATI/AAAAAAAAfXg/shMvBuzYdXw/r%26k%20salix_2010%20jul%2024_0153.JPG

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dandelion

• hari317

• Silvermink

• Ada

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool review "dandelion" . I've yet to try out my first Iron Gall Ink. Where can this be purchased?

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

Cool review "dandelion" . I've yet to try out my first Iron Gall Ink. Where can this be purchased?

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a US stockist (isn't Pendemonium one?), but if you're stuck, the Writing Desk ships internationally.

I'll second Dandelion's excellent review...Salix is a wonderful ink. Not as heavily saturated as Diamine Registrar's, but beautiful in its own right.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Thanks!

For US residents: I know that Peartree pens carry the R&K.

Nice review of one of my fav. ink. Like the OP, I too seem to have a strong liking for the Iron Gall inks designed for fountain pens. Unlike the MB Blue/Black and the Diamine registrar's ink, the Salix will remain blue for a much longer time. However after a few weeks, I find that the writing from the Salix has turned as dark as that from the MB B/B. Diamine tends to turn fully black after some time.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Nice review, Dandelion. Blue-black is my favourite colour of ink (I think) but Salix isn't one of my favourites because, for me, it's really too dry. Even in my wet pens. IMO, only Diamine's Registrar's is drier. But it is inexpensive and I do like supporting good ol' German companies (Estd 1892). It's easy to get, here at home. If I couldn't live here I'd probably choose Leipzig.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thanks for another lovely review, Dandelion. Very nicely done.

Between your review and the one that Sandy1 wrote recently, I've added R&K Salix to my 'must purchase list'.

This ink looks very nice, before seeing this review I wasn't interested in the Salix, but now I'm seriously thinking in get one... just one question, which of this one and the Montblanc B/B is more darker? hope someone can answer me that question =)

This ink looks very nice, before seeing this review I wasn't interested in the Salix, but now I'm seriously thinking in get one... just one question, which of this one and the Montblanc B/B is more darker? hope someone can answer me that question =)

The MB B/B is much darker in my opinion.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

MB B-B is darker, and will eventually oxidize to black, whereas Salix stays blue.

I was using Salix in my very wet Pelikan M1050 and that seemed to be a good combination.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

This has become one of my favorite daily-use inks. I had purchased a couple of bottles of ink from Peartree Pens, and this was one that had got set aside. When I came back to it, I found myself using it more and more. The main advantage of this ink that it pretty much allows you to write on any grade of paper, cheap or expensive. The dry time is a bit prolonged. But if it changes from bright blue to dark-blue (or black), you know it's dry.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/ToasterPastryphoto/pop.jpg

Follow me on Twitter!

Read my silly blog!

I really must try one of these iron-gall inks... -_-

I don't quite understand why Salix doesn't blacken upon oxidation though. Iron-gall inks by nature are supposed to do that, I think. The iron + gallic content react with each other in a way that darkens over time. The superficial colour of the ink (in most instances, blue) is mainly to serve the purpose of making the ink a bit more visible on application, as iron-gall inks often appear a little light when first on paper.

Anyways, it's nice to have a review of this German Ferrogallic Ink.

The above shall not be construed as legal advice under any circumstances

MB B-B is darker, and will eventually oxidize to black, whereas Salix stays blue.

I was using Salix in my very wet Pelikan M1050 and that seemed to be a good combination.

:thumbup::roflmho::thumbup:

When does 'eventually' happen?

100 years?

400??

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I don't quite understand why Salix doesn't blacken upon oxidation though. Iron-gall inks by nature are supposed to do that, I think.

Because it doesn't seem to have much ferrogallic content. There are also fade tests floating around which show the R&K inks having all the light resistance of a vampire.

Wonderful review,Dandelion! I am also a fan of this ink.

I've been on a quest to see if I could commit all Seven Deadly Sins in a single day. Finally, it dawned on me I shouldn't try for the One Day Wonder Prize for all seven in one day. It's simply out of any question as you can't commit decent sloth while busily ticking the other six off your crowded "to do" list. -- ViolinWriter

When does 'eventually' happen?

Well, it darkens, at least. Unfortunately, the only MB B-B writing I have around at the moment is only a few days old and is still noticeably blue.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

I'll absolutely do a follow up in the coming weeks!