Lincoln Indian Piston Filler

vans4444

Lincoln Fountain Pen

This is just a short review.

I bought this Indian pen at the same time as I bought the recently released TWSBI. They arrived at the same time so for that reason alone I thought I would in this short review do a brief comparison of these two very different pens.

First Impression

The Lincoln comes in a cheap plastic box inside a bright red and blue cardboard sleeve with the words “Lincoln by beena” I assume Beena is the manufacturer

The TWSBI comes in a more substantial clear plastic box.

My first impression of the Lincoln pen was positive. It is not a large pen, but filled with ink it wrote well straight out of the box.

The TWSBI is an altogether more substantial pen, with a solid feel, and once again it wrote well straight out of the box.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww3/vans4444/Pens/Lincoln4.jpg

Appearance and Finish

The seller of the Lincon (hari317) says this about the pen “This pen is an identical copy of the Rotring Renaissance Piston filling FP, probably made on the tooling bought from Rotring after they discontinued production. The Lincoln nib unit is interchangeable with the Rotring unit as told to me by folks who own both pens”. It certainly has the look of a German piston filler and even has a Rotring like red ring around the barrel and top of the cap. The yellow clip and cap ring are a little more yellow that the equivalent parts on an old German pen but the plastic has a very similar feel

The TWSBI is larger and a demonstrator with silver coloured fittings. As far as I am aware it was designed from the ground up by a Taiwanese company.

Design/Size/Weight

As mentioned above the Lincoln has a very German, clean uncluttered design. Once again, taken from the sellers page the dimensions are; capped: 5 3/8 inches, posted: 6 inches and the section Diameter: 8.5mm It is a light pen with a small ink window.

I measure the TWISBI to be 5 5/8 capped, just over 7 inches posted with a diameter of 13 or 14mm. The barrel has a series of flat surfaces running all round the circumference. It has a wide cap band etched with TWSBI and Diamond 530 Taiwan. It is a much heavier pen, heavier than an M600.

Both have screw on caps

I prefer the way the Lincoln posts. The TWSBI sits on the thing you turn to operate the piston. So moving the posted cap moves the piston, but so far no accidences. The Lincoln sites much further down and rest on the barrel itself, and does not move the piston.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww3/vans4444/Pens/Lincoln1.jpg

Nib

Both nibs are steel, the Lincoln being gold plated (or at least a yellow metal). The Lincoln just has F and Beena stamped on it. The other pen has TWISBI EF and a logo stamped on the nib. I had no choice of nib size for the Lincoln it was only available in F. I chose EF for the TWISBI.

In practice, there is not much difference in the width of the two nibs; the TWSBI is only very slightly thinner.

Both nibs are stiff, the Lincon being marginally more flexible

Both nibs can be removed and changed. I have not yet seen any spare nibs available for the TWISBI, but that does not mean they are not available. If they are I would be interested to know the cost. Similarly I have not seen any spare Lincoln nibs. I am intrigued at the possibility of changing the Lincoln nib for a Rotring nib, but once again I don’t know if they are still available.

Of the two the TWISBI is marginally smoother out of the box and the Lincoln marginally wetter

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww3/vans4444/Pens/Lincoln2.jpg

Filling System

Both pens are piston fillers. Both pistons work well. The TWISBI seems to take up much more ink than the Lincoln

Cost/Value

The Lincoln cost $15 including shipping, the TWISBI $47.98. These are very different pens, and as I stated at the start I am only comparing them because they arrived at the same time. I think both represent good value for money; perhaps for the Lincoln I would upgrade that to excellent value for money

Overall

I like both pens.

Because of the long running TWISBI thread it is a pen I have been wanting for a long time, and I was not disappointed. It is a pen that will get a lot of use.

The Lincoln was an impulse purchased and when it arrived I was pleasantly surprised. What is more surprising is when I was rushing out of the house and these two pens were next to each other I grabbed the Lincoln. The Lincoln is actually getting more use. I am not sure why. Perhaps it is lighter and a handier size; easy to stuff in a bag or pocket. It is also very cheap so no worries if it is lost or scratched.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww3/vans4444/Pens/Lincoln3.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vans4444

• Jimmy James

• Riss

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review and thanks! I've been wanting one of these TWSBI pens for some time now. Just need to save up a few more bucks.

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

I recently bought both pens as well and your review strikes me as thorough and fair--it was a nice idea to compare the two. As in your case, my pens wrote well out of the box and I can see keeping them both in rotation. The difference for me is that the Lincoln is similar to a bunch of other pens that I own (especially some German piston-fillers). In contrast, I have nothing that resembles (or feels like) the TWSBI (the clear Pelikan 205 might come closest, at least in appearance). I don't know how long the honeymoon will last, but for now the TWSBI is among my favorite pens.

I recently bought both pens as well and your review strikes me as thorough and fair--it was a nice idea to compare the two. As in your case, my pens wrote well out of the box and I can see keeping them both in rotation. The difference for me is that the Lincoln is similar to a bunch of other pens that I own (especially some German piston-fillers). In contrast, I have nothing that resembles (or feels like) the TWSBI (the clear Pelikan 205 might come closest, at least in appearance). I don't know how long the honeymoon will last, but for now the TWSBI is among my favorite pens.

That is a great point you make about the TWSBI being a unique style but the Lincoln looking like so many other German pens. It didn’t occur to me when I did the review, but I agree.

Well done, vans4444 :thumbup:

I have one of each inked on my desk, and find them both quite pleasant to use.

There's a lot of pages of writing in one refill for the TWSBI!

I have both these pens on their way to me, along with a Reform (110 I think) and a Pelikan M150. This review works out just about the way I figured it would, but that's not a bad thing at all. If I'm as pleased as the reviewer is with the Lincoln, I bet I'll end up ordering another.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>