Kaigelu 333 Review

murfie

Kaigelu 333 - Great Value!

INTRODUCTION

This pen is commonly advertised as a Sailor 1911 Profit replica. While it is similar to the Sailor 1911, there are several features that are totally disparate. At best, you could say that in appearance this pen is 'similar' to the 1911 Profit. This particular pen was purchased from a reputable Japanese eBay seller for $30 USD that included 7 day airmail delivery to Australia.

The pen came in a plain black cardboard box with foam inlay. There was no printing or logos on the box. It was advertised as including a written guarantee, but that was not provided. I am not enamoured with Chinese pens. Their quality usually is in keeping with their price - very cheap.

APPEARANCE & DESIGN (7/10)

The pen resembles a Sailor 1911 and is the same length and general appearance. It has silver hardware but the clip and width of the bands are unlike the 1911. The black finish is consistent and substantial with a pleasant sheen. while the pen is attractive, I have marked it down for lack of originality.

CONSTRUCTION & QUALITY (8/10)

Unlike other Chinese pens, this pen feels well made. The screw fit cap takes just three quarters of a turn to remove. The threading is very precise and the cap seats very positively against a metal ring in the barrel. The threading securing the barrel is of equal quality, being positive without any slack.

WEIGHT & DIMENSIONS (8/10)

A heavy pen, 36 grams inked. However, 20 gms of that belongs just to the cap. The rest of the pen is only 16 gms. It is 5.5" capped (141 mm), 4 9/16" unposted (117 mm). The cap DOES NOT POST, which is surprising given the unposted length - a tad shy of the unposted length of a Pelikan M205. I have included comparitive photos here of the 333 with an M205 demonstrator to better gauge the dimensions.

You can see from the next photo that the 333 is just long enough for me to use it unposted. The 16 gms. of the unposted pen is well balanced and it does have a good feel in the hand.

The pen is on the thicker side being 5/8" in diameter (15 mm) for the cap and 1/2" (13 mm) for the barrel. The grip is shaped and around 3/8" (10 mm) at its narrowest point.

NIB & PERFORMANCE (9/10)

Advertised as a "22Kt iridium" the nib is large, has the barest amount of give and is a smooth writer. It has an ink flow neither too wet nor too dry. I filled it with Iroshizuku syo-ro.The nib is not affected by the angle of attack and is quite impressive. There are no markings on the nib other than "Kaigelu" so I am not sure of the gauge. The eBay add said "medium" in one paragraph but "fine" in the specs. I view it as a typical Chinese fine which is near identical to the M nib in a Pilot Prera or the EF in a Lamy Safari.

FILLING SYSTEM (9/10)

The 333 came complete with a Kaigelu branded twist converter and the pen also takes universal cartridges.

The converter functioned quite positively and filled to capacity on a single cycle. It is simple to extract for flushing purposes having just the normal press fit.

COST & VALUE (10/10)

For USD $30 airmailed to Australia, the pen represents just about as good as it gets in relation to bang for your buck.

CONCLUSION (51/6 = 8.5)

Apart from one Hero Parker 51 replica, this is only the second Chinese manufactured pen that has impressed me. I am very pleased with all aspects of this pen and it will remain in my inked set for the foreseeable future. The Kaigelu makes for a handsome workhorse pen, one that you could take with you and not freak if you happened to misplace it.

Edited by murfie

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• murfie

• bbs

• DAYoung

• Fuddlestack

Is this chiefly produced for the domestic Chinese market, or is it made for export?

Hi Damon,

As my source was a Japanese seller then one would think it's for export.

Good review - thanks! Can you tell us which Japanese eBay seller?

When you're good at it, it's really miserable.

Sure ... 0588-tiger ... which is another seller ID used by engeika (Taizo Okagaki)

Edited by murfie

Now, I'm waiting for the M1000 review...

There's enough of them already on FPN and I'm not skilled enough to do that properly.

Nice review, Murfie. I had wondered what this brand of pen was like. I have a couple of Chinese pens (a Hero and a Picasso) and they are much better than I thought they would be. They aren't the super cheap ones though - they were about $20 each in Shanghai. I have a couple of $2 (some other brand) ones and they are pretty sad.

"Blessed are the cracked, for they shall let in the light." - Groucho Marx

Sure ... 0588-tiger ... which is another seller ID used by engeika (Taizo Okagaki)

Thank-you, sir! The gent will be receiving a communication from me once my Pen Fund has been refloated, or whatever the term is. Just now it's full fathom five.

When you're good at it, it's really miserable.

Thanks for the review! That looks like a great pen for the pricethumbup.gif.

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

I have this model in the grey resin with silver metalflake finish. It's a beautiful pen. The materials and fabrication are very good. Alas, it's too short for me to write with comfortably; and as you've noted, it doesn't post.

Kaigelu is by far my favourite Chinese pen. I have the 316, inspired by the Parker Duofold; and the 322, which reminds me of the Waterman Liaison. Great pens and nibs for the price.

Thank you for the clear and balanced review.

Cheers,

Joe

That seller ID isn't coming up when I search for it ... and it's not suggesting any close matches either ... any chance of confirming it please, Murfie?

Thanks ....

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Try this link for engeika. [No affiliation.]

-- cuza

PS: I don't see the 333 listed at the factory site anymore. Perhaps discontinued. Their flagship, the 317, is still in production, thankfully.

Edited by cuza

Try this link for engeika. [No affiliation.]

-- cuza

PS: I don't see the 333 listed at the factory site anymore. Perhaps discontinued. Their flagship, the 317, is still in production, thankfully.

Thanks, Cuza - but I know that link very well! It was the other seller name I was curious about ... just in case ... you never know, do you .....

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

That seller ID isn't coming up when I search for it ... and it's not suggesting any close matches either ... any chance of confirming it please, Murfie?

No problemo - I did make a mistake. It is 0588_tiger (got my underscores and dashes mixed up) and this is the link to it.

I can thoroughly vouch for the seller - one of eBay's real gentleman.

Ciao

Edited by murfie

Many thanks!

I thought it was when I saw the box. I have had several happy buying experiences from him. Once he made a mistake, but fixed it immediately.

i have one too from the same seller. i find the section a bit narrow for the barrel it's carrying and the threads are quite sharp to the touch. other than those, i think you can never go wrong with it at its price. one of the two best chinese fp i've had (the other one being a fuliwen copy of the pilot bamboo).

anyone know if the section and threads on a sailor 1911 is the same as this one?

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought this pen from Japan through Ebay India. I find ink reservoir for the pen is small. You have to fill ink regularly. Further I also find the unposted cap of this pen as inconvenient due to chances of misplacing it....while writing. Other than the above remarks the pen is good. It would be appreciable, If anybody can test if it's clips and other design metals actually silver?