Advice For Where To Buy A Section?

hardyoyo

Hi, I was the lucky recipient of a green SJ cap and barrel from the Pay it Forward thread (thanks, Rachel!), now I'm hunting up a section and nib. I am getting the feeling that the only way to really get Etsie parts is to buy lots of "parts" pens from eBay, but I thought I'd ask here to see if there's any one who might sell me just a section and nib?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hardyoyo

• watch_art

• FarmBoy

• Vargouille

PM me your address. I will see what I got. If I have a useable sj section, I will send it your way, no charge. I have had some good luck of recent, and need to start circulating the good karma back round.

I don't think I got any nibs, you might be on your own.

Best!

Rick

Edited by Rick Krantz
http://www.chiltonpens.com/images/displaystyle.jpg

Fortunately, nibs aren't terribly hard to come by; worst case, you can buy most of the 2xxx series for $10 or $15 New Old Stock (i.e. never used, factory condition plus fifty or so years), and one of those nibs, new, will last several years even in heavy daily use.

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

I agree with Zeisslkon. Any 2XXX nib should be around $10-$15, and even a few 9XXX nibs can be found on eBay. I would recommend the 9XXX series, as it has that extra blob of harder tipping, while the others just have a rolled tip.

On a side note, that green is beautiful, isn't it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Gah! How did I miss all this good karma a month ago! I totally forgot I asked for advice on where to get a section, and bought one (very reasonably) from Brian Anderson, along with a NOS 9550 nib. It was an adventure to get the section to fit, the barrel of the SJ had expanded a bit (or the section was a tad small), so I had to shim it. Took a few tries, what I finally settled on was three little pieces cut from a post-it note. Used the post-it adhesive to hold them in place, then applied shellac to them, so they were saturated (lightly saturated, mind you), and then carefully slid the section in to the barrel. Left it to dry for 24 hours, tested, it's in there, rock solid. Inked it up, and gave it to my wife. She had been coveting it, there on my desk, waiting for repair. She loves it.

Thanks, Rick, for the offer, you are very generous. I may buy some parts from you some day, if you're still selling.

@Vargouille: yes, love the color.

@watch_art: thanks for the link!

Gah! How did I miss all this good karma a month ago! I totally forgot I asked for advice on where to get a section, and bought one (very reasonably) from Brian Anderson, along with a NOS 9550 nib. It was an adventure to get the section to fit, the barrel of the SJ had expanded a bit (or the section was a tad small), so I had to shim it. Took a few tries, what I finally settled on was three little pieces cut from a post-it note. Used the post-it adhesive to hold them in place, then applied shellac to them, so they were saturated (lightly saturated, mind you), and then carefully slid the section in to the barrel. Left it to dry for 24 hours, tested, it's in there, rock solid. Inked it up, and gave it to my wife. She had been coveting it, there on my desk, waiting for repair. She loves it.

Thanks, Rick, for the offer, you are very generous. I may buy some parts from you some day, if you're still selling.

You have experienced the usual issue of fitting a section. It is why I'm often reluctant to just send a section to someone. To big and it splits the barrel and to small and it leads to drastic measures. J series sections seem to come in three basic sizes, to small, to big, and just right. Two of these seem to be more common than the third--you guess which one is hard to find.

It sounds like you shellaced the section into the barrel. Remember to pass this along if you should sell the pen, it means someone opening the pen in the future will take a slightly different approach.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

You have experienced the usual issue of fitting a section. It is why I'm often reluctant to just send a section to someone. To big and it splits the barrel and to small and it leads to drastic measures. J series sections seem to come in three basic sizes, to small, to big, and just right. Two of these seem to be more common than the third--you guess which one is hard to find.

It sounds like you shellaced the section into the barrel. Remember to pass this along if you should sell the pen, it means someone opening the pen in the future will take a slightly different approach.

Todd

To elaborate;

While the paper & shellac was a kind of down and dirty way to do things (vs just building up the nipple with dried shellac) you'd have done better for future repairpersons if you'd have let the shellac dry for a day before sliding the section in. You needed to build up the section not really necessary to glue it in too. For future reference. :thumbup:

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

n. You needed to build up the section not really necessary to glue it in too. For future reference. :thumbup:

Oh, cool, I totally never thought of using shellac in that way, but it's brilliant.

Odds are very, very slim this pen is ever changing hands. She really likes it.

You needed to build up the section not really necessary to glue it in too. For future reference. :thumbup:

AH! Brilliant! I wish I had known about that when I was doing my Frankensteining.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking for a replacement section for an Esterbrook Dollar pen. I managed to destroy the original easily. I guess I'll be more careful in the future. Thanks!

Just a little postscript to this thread, turns out the post-it shims? Failed. Section came loose. So, scraped the leftovers off, and did the right thing--built up about 3 layers of shellac over the course of a week, and the section fit back in, just so. I've since used this trick on a number of other pens. Thank you so much for the great advice!