Pelikan Royal Blue

withoutink

You can find the full review on my blog, here is a direct link to the full review: Pelikan Royal Blue Ink Review

Interesting color. Silvery Blue. really nice shading, even in the "Think! Iceland" M nibed pen. Great flow and very smooth ink. Not really wet, dried in about 2 seconds or so. No skipping, dry-outs, bleedthrough. I did note a tiny bit of showthrough though. Not bad by any means. This was the first Pelikan ink I have used (aside from one cartridge), Im rather impressed with the quality of the ink. People at work found the color to be very interesting as well. Lot's of great comments. I can see myself buying a bottle of this ink, just for the office as a standard use ink.

Very enjoyable ink.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4117/4787868727_6fcd7c48c0_b.jpg

Cheers-

withoutink

"Do Nothing Which is of No Use." - Musashi Miyamoto (Ancient Swordsman from the 1600's)

withoutink.com | twitter | facebook

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• withoutink

• FrankB

• Bo Bo Olson

• breaker

Thanks for the great review "withoutink". I'm tempted to buy some of this just for how quick the dry time is on it. It appears (from your testing) to be completely dry in approx. 5 seconds. That's very good compared to my current inks.

Need a pen repaired or a nib re-ground? I'd love to help you out.

FPN%252520banner.jpg

Colossians 3:17 - And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.

It is a very nice ink indeed. you should enjoy it. you can always by an ink sample from peartreepens.com for just a few $'s. That way you can be certain you like it before you commit to a bottle.

Cheers-

withoutink

"Do Nothing Which is of No Use." - Musashi Miyamoto (Ancient Swordsman from the 1600's)

withoutink.com | twitter | facebook

I don't have Royal Blue in a rotation pen but there's always a bottle on the shelf. It's one of those old favorites which dries to a pleasing hue, is washable, works with an eradicator, lays down a line immediately even if a pen hasn't been used for several days and flows satisfactorily through every pen I've ever used it in. I prefer blues with a bit more saturation but this is a fine ink nonetheless.

There's a good reason why it's on the European elementary schoolchildren's list of recommended supplies.

Thanks for the review.

I always get a kick out of these "no affiliation" notations when it's blatantly obvious the poster has absolutely nothing to do with the brand, company, etc. beyond being a customer. It must be a feel-good/feel-important thing. So I'll note up front that nothing I write here on this forum is influenced by any financial-gain motivation.

Thanks for the review! I'm a huge fan of this ink, along with Pel Black and Blue-Black. They are just great inks. A couple of years ago I was in Vienna and got my 400NN looked at while I was there (had a DEF nib on it, replaced by an M- much nicer) and the man who did the swap was very emphatic that Pelikan Blau was the only ink that should be used in old Pelikans. He said it just doesn't have anything harmful in it at all (in fact as folk may know on the Pelikan Website it says you can safely drink the stuff!).

I do prefer darker blues, so I have a bottle of Midnight Blues. I quite like the colour, though it can be INCREDIBLY ballpoint penny in some pens, but the stuff climbs out of the bottle and stains everything, I swear. I'm ready to chuck the bottle out because it's not much fun to use such supersaturated stuff, I'm finding.

The Pels inks just work, and I'll adjust to a wee bit of lighter tone (in a shade I like) for the general "good to have around" nature of this ink.

Thanks again,

Ralf

I like Royal Blue also, preferring these paler shades. Pelikan blue-black is an equally interesting greyish blue black. And Brilliant Brown has a classic look, not overpowering and with good shading.

Pelikan inks work in the most stubborn pens - and this is one of the lowest cost inks available. A great deal; buy all 3.

Bob

Pelikan 100; Parker Duofold; Sheaffer Balance; Eversharp Skyline; Aurora 88 Piston; Aurora 88 hooded; Kaweco Sport; Sailor Pro Gear

Eca de Queroiz: "Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently, and for the same reason."

I do not use blue inks much. I am still responding to my childhood (1950's amd '60's) when ink choices were pretty much black, blue and blue-black. Still, I keep a bottle of Pel Royal Blue around all the time. I do not use it as much as Pel's purple and brown, but when I do I really like how well behaved it is. It dries on paper to what seems to me an "aged" vintage or antique look. I like that look very much.

Oh, Oh....wow....

sudden up grade from Blaaaa, to it Shades on good paper.

I had not tried it on the right paper yet.

Thank you very much for this very interesting news.

Lamy turquoise, had been for me nice color but Blaaa until I saw in two ink reviews it shaded on better paper. I immediately tried it on a small bit of 90 g/sm paper rather than the 80 g/sm, and it shaded, also.

I very slowly gathering up some German papers, I wish to survey. 15 nibs of this and that size and regular flex or semi-flex some 10 or so other inks than what I have. I will move Royal Blue into the test program.

I had not really expected it to Shade.

I had used it occasionally as a school ink some 50 years ago....back when no one I knew, knew much about nibs or inks except the price. In the Silver Dollar days of the Almighty Dollar; Pelikan was cheaper imported than Sheaffer or Parker....and enough I could buy a 10-12 cent comic book, and perhaps even a dime coke or a nickel candy bar too, with the savings.

Thank you.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the review. It's the only one I use :rolleyes: ... expecting an other FP :thumbup:

Currently inked: M800 (Pelikan Blue-Black), M400 (Qink Blue-Black), 400NN (Pelikan Black), 120 (Pelikan Turquoise) and 100N (Pelikan Royal Blue)

• 1 year later...

I have this ink and have been looking for ways of getting it off my hands almost since I have bought it... Writing quite a lot and most of it being instructions (of sorts), its inability to resist exposure to light was bothersome. Finally, mixing it with leftovers of black ink that could not be used for refilling out of the bottle fixed this (and altered the color slightly).

I have too much of this ink as well. Mixing it with some black sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

It is easier to stay out than get out. - Mark Twain

Great review!

I am a huge fan of Pel Royal blue. I have a big collection of inks, mostly blues, blue-greens, and blue-blacks, and over a year ago decided to try this one in an effort to tame a very wet pen. It worked beautifully, and I loved the look, colour and feel of the ink, so I tried it in some of my other pens, and fell in love with it. I now use it almost exclusively, avoiding it only in most brutally dry pens. Now, if only it were bulletproof...

Ken

Sept 30, 2011 @ 12:00AM was the last day of Pear Tree Pens. Along with Swisher Pens, good companies that are gone.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I have a bottle of Cross Blue which I understand is Pelikan Royal Blue rebranded. I like this ink, no bleed-through whatsoever, even in my inexpensive journal. I use it in a Parker 45.

John