Nakaya- Dorsal Fin- Aka-tame-nuri - Soft & Flexible Medium Cursive Italic

Inked

First Impression - 5

Great, easy ordering process. I do not speak Japanese but Nakaya(Yoko Kono (Ms.)) spoke great English.

From the moment you open the postal box it is very evident that someone has taken the time to plan every detail out.

Appearance - 5

A picture speaks a thousand words.

Design/Weight/Size - 5

This is the Aka-Tame-nuri version of the original Dorsal fin by Ishi-me Kan-shitsu technique. I just really like the colour and smoothness of the Aka-Tame-nuri finish and the team at Nakaya was very glad to take on the challange.

For the size of the pen I cannot get over the lightness of it. One's wrist/hand never becomes fatigued.

Nib - 5

Soft & Flexible Medium Cursive Italic

The craftsmen at Nakaya did a fantastic job here as well. It is like writing with a gold paintbrush.

Filing System - 5

Converter. Works great with the little goldfish on it.

Cost & Value - 5

$900 plus my own indulgences.

Rather inexpensive for a custom pen....For your hand only. Considering this pen did not exist prior to my request, The fact that I had control over design, I would say this is very reasonable.

Conclusion - 5

I do not think you can get better.

Can you get different? Yes. Can you get better? No.

post-18832-041121000 1278210214.jpg

post-18832-007776200 1278210216.jpg

post-18832-097767000 1278210217.jpg

post-18832-098315200 1278210219.jpg

post-18832-089142600 1278210221.jpg

post-18832-072224900 1278210223.jpg

post-18832-087360300 1278210225.jpg

post-18832-016693900 1278210228.jpg

post-18832-024827800 1278210230.jpg

post-18832-038947200 1278279033.jpg

post-18832-084169200 1278283505.jpg

Edited by Inked

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inked

• ethernautrix

• DavidHandmade

• nvbrennan

Stunning. What was the total cycle time from first contact to having it in your hand?

Edited by Powerbroker

A proud member of the Pittsburgh Fountain Pen Club

Fall Down 7, Stand Up 8

Stunning. What the total cycle time from first contact to having it in your hand?

Ordered April 12th...arrived June 19th. Very fast.

Stunning. What the total cycle time from first contact to having it in your hand?

Ordered April 12th...arrived June 19th. Very fast.

That is outstanding for a pen of this caliber. You must be very pleased indeed!

A proud member of the Pittsburgh Fountain Pen Club

Fall Down 7, Stand Up 8

That is one delicious looking pen *drools*

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

Beautiful pen, thanks for showing it.

How about some writing samples? It would be nice to see what that nib can do.

Nice pictures. This model is excellent because it does not roll off the table (when capped, but there is also a model with "fins" on both the cap and barrel).

Thank you for sharing this review with us!

If you want your dreams to come true, don't sleep.

I will indeed do that. However, as the finish on this pen changes, I will wait a couple of months and then post a couple of new photo's and a scan of some handwriting.

That's a very beautiful pen! I had contemplated this model (but in Heki-tamenuri)just a few weeks ago, but did not go through. I thought it was going to be the same price if not, a bit lesser than the original dorsal fin. (They quoted me the same price of $900)

I had first wanted to purchase a Long Piccolo from Nakaya, but they told me it's under the exclusivity of Aesthetic Bay, so I have to go through them. And I don't think Aesthetic Bay do customization of Long Piccolos (I inquired, but they didn't reply after the second email). Shucks for me.

I would've ordered a Long Piccolo in Heki-tamenuri or Kuro-tamenuri without a clip... It's maddening when you can't get something you can't have.:mad:

Sorry, I digress. :doh: That's a beautiful pen you got there! :D

Edited by Soot

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- A. Einstein

That's a very beautiful pen! I had contemplated this model (but in Heki-tamenuri)just a few weeks ago, but did not go through. I thought it was going to be the same price if not, a bit lesser than the original dorsal fin. (They quoted me the same price of $900)

I had first wanted to purchase a Long Piccolo from Nakaya, but they told me it's under the exclusivity of Aesthetic Bay, so I have to go through them. And I don't think Aesthetic Bay do customization of Long Piccolos (I inquired, but they didn't reply after the second email). Shucks for me.

I would've ordered a Long Piccolo in Heki-tamenuri or Kuro-tamenuri without a clip... It's maddening when you can't get something you can't have.:mad:

Sorry, I digress. :doh: That's a beautiful pen you got there! :D

Hello

I understand, as I am sure many others here on FPN do as well.

We are a fussy, particular, eccentric bunch and it just seems to get worse over time.

Thank-you for the compliment on the pen.

I will indeed do that. However, as the finish on this pen changes, I will wait a couple of months and then post a couple of new photo's and a scan of some handwriting.

Thank you, I'll look forward to it.

Gorgeous pen! I can't wait for my Brair pen to arrive at the end of this month!

Oh the thrill and the agony of waiting!

Thank-you.

Nice pictures. This model is excellent because it does not roll off the table (when capped, but there is also a model with "fins" on both the cap and barrel).

Thank you for sharing this review with us!

It is my pleasure to share. Thank-you.

That is one delicious looking pen *drools*

Yuki

The sunlight just made it pop in the photos.

Thank-you.

Wow! Thank you for sharing. Nice photos.

Wow...that is how I felt when I pulled back the cover on the kimono wrap it came in.

Thank-you.

I added a handwriting sample. I have some time now so I thought I better do it.

My scanner is only black & white. The ink used was MB Royal Blue in case your curious.

My scanner is only black & white. The ink used was MB Royal Blue in case your curious.

Added one more sample using light pressure.

Sincerely

Added one more sample using light pressure.

Sincerely

Thanks for putting up the scans. I didn't know that Nakaya did cursive italics, so I'm very interested to see how the nib writes. It looks like you get decent line variation between vertical and horizontal strokes, and the flex allows variation on the vertical strokes as well. Very nice.