Edison Huron

Hennypenny

I haven't written a review in a while, so I hope I've included everything. I LOVE this pen and wanted to share it with you all!

1. APPEARANCE & DESIGN. 10/10

I began planning this pen with Brian Gray (the owner and artisan behind Edison Pen Co.) many months ago. I was lusting after a MB Agatha Christie at the time, and hoped that Brian could produce a pen that would satisfy my desire for a snake clip pen. As it turned out, I gave in and acquired an Agatha in the meantime, so our planning for this pen proceeded without the temptation to make it into an "ersatz Agatha" - something Brian had resisted and which would not have been satisfying for either of us. As it turned out, this pen is a delight in and of itself, and deserves to be evaluated on its own merits.

When I first asked Brian about this pen, my main requirement was a snake clip. Brian had just purchased an Ariel Kullock "sliding snake" silver slip-on clip, and he was interested in using it on one of his pens. Brian felt it would go well with the shape and proportions of his Huron pen, and I remembered being favorable impressed with the "stealth Huron" he'd produced last year.

I began to debate whether a color other than black would be attractive, but Brian was fairly firm that the intricate clip dictated a basic black pen. As far as material, he mentioned that he has a black acrylic material that feels like ebonite, but doesn't have the smell of ebonite (which is something I'm not fond of), and which wouldn't "out-gas" and tarnish the silver clip like ebonite might do. He sent me a sample of the material and I found it to be perfect -- warm and soft to the touch, but without what are to me ebonite's faults (mainly smell and deterioration in sunlight). His sample material showed me the two possible finishes (gloss and satin), and I chose the satin finish; Brian indicated that it can easily be polished to the gloss finish should I change my mind in the future.

The planning process took some time -- mostly because I was in no hurry and wanted to make sure my decisions were careful and considered (how unlike me!!) -- I have a fairly clear idea of my likes and dislikes in pens by now, so I wanted this pen to be perfect. I appreciated Brian's input and expertise, and am happy I deferred to his judgment when I did -- it was a pleasant planning process with excellent and responsive communication. In the end, I received a pen that I'm delighted with! It arrived well-packed and protected in its elegant box -- a visual delight!

2. CONSTRUCTION & QUALITY. 10/10

As has been well-documented by previous reviews, Edison pens are top-notch in construction and quality. This is not my first Edison, and I am continually impressed with Brian's workmanship.

In addition to the first-rate quality of the pen, the process of ordering and working with Brian is exemplary. Brian is easy to work with, thoroughly professional, and communicates well. He listened to what I was saying, made appropriate suggestions and recommendations, and pointed out all the pros and cons of the various options I was considering. For example, he was quick to point out that the silver clip would not be functional since it has no "give" and won't stand up to bending -- this isn't a problem for me since I don't use a pen's clip, but it would have been an unpleasant surprise if I'd expected a functional clip.

We also discussed the care of the pen, which should be fairly easy. Brian told me how to buff any scratches or mars out of the surface, and offered to help whenever necessary. I greatly appreciate Brian's willingness to answer questions and provide follow-up service.

Finally, I was able to watch the pen being made via Brian's webcam. That proved useful with this pen because I wanted to approve the placement of the clip on the cap before it was finalized. Of course, Brian didn't need any help from me in determining the best placement of the clip, but it was nonetheless reassuring to be able to watch.

3. WEIGHT & DIMENSIONS. 10/10

Per the Edison website, the Huron weight with cap is 21 grams and without is 13 grams; this pen may weigh slightly more due to the weight of the clip. The pen is 5 3/4" capped, and 5 1/8" uncapped. The body diameter is .55", and the cap diameter is .61".

I was familiar with the Huron's size, weight and balance before ordering this pen. It fits my hand well, but in this case I choose it primarily because its style and proportions fit with the snake clip. This was a case of the clip dictating the choice of pen.

4. NIB & PERFORMANCE. Initially, 0/10; corrected to 9.5/10.

I opted for the 2-tone black & silver steel nib, ground to a fine cursive italic, with average flow and some tooth. It initially performed well, but I was dismayed when after only a page of writing, it became scratchy and dry, and then dried up altogether and refused to write. I tried flushing the nib and the converter, and converting the pen to an eye dropper -- all with no success.

With most other pens, I would have been beside myself at this point. But I knew that Brian would stand by his product. I emailed him for suggestions and we finally agreed that I should return the pen. He had no better luck with the nib, so he quickly reground another to my specifications. We never did discover the exact problem, but I'm satisfied that it was a defect that couldn't have been discovered without using the pen fairly extensively. Brian dip tested the nib before sending it, but that would not have exposed this nib's defect.

The new nib is almost perfect -- it's relatively smooth, has perfect flow & wetness, and nice line variation. A slight, initial problem with the nib drying out between use kept me from giving this nib a perfect score (along with a need to find something wrong with it!), but a switch to OMAS black ink (from PR Tanzanite) has so far seemed to resolve the issue.

All in all, while I'd have preferred not to have a problem with the nib, I don't hold it against Brian that there was a defect which he could not have discovered. And kudos to him for his handling of the problem; he made it easy and pleasant to get the issue resolved.

5. FILLING SYSTEM & MAINTENANCE. 10/10

This is a c/c or eye dropper pen, per my choice. I happen to like the simplicity of c/c, and once I'm sure it'll be a daily user that needs a larger ink supply, I'll convert it to an ED. An Edison Huron can have an ink window and a bulb-fill system, but those options wouldn't have been in keeping with the sleek and simple design necessitated by the snake clip.

6. COST & VALUE. 10/10

The basic Huron (c/c with steel nib) is $250. I paid an additional $55 for the Ariel Kullock snake clip (which was Brian's cost), and $40 for the cursive italic grind on the nib. I also purchased a second steel nib (a regular fine) for $12, so I now have two easily-exchanged nibs for this one pen. I consider Edison pens to be fairly priced (and, in fact, somewhat of a bargain) given the individualized attention and planning that goes into them, as well as the follow-up service that Brian provides.

I'm delighted to have a pen made to my tastes and to have been able to watch it being made. As well, I'm happy to have spent my pen funds with a craftsman who adheres to high quality and ethical standards -- I think it's important to support craftsman who provide good value for my dollar.

All in all, I'm LOVING this pen! The snake clip may not be to everyone's taste, but it tickles my fancy. This is a pen that will probably fall into my daily rotation given its looks, functionality, and ease of care.

HP

P.S. I have not commented upon posting because I do not post my pens (BTW, the snake clip serves the useful function of preventing the cap from rolling off the desk, so it isn't purely decorative). It does appear that the cap will post, although the pen is quite long when posted.

The following pictures are courtesy of Brian Gray:

The sky IS falling. C. Little

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hennypenny

• bgray

• jniforat

• xuan87

Very handsome Huron! Fascinating to hear about this ebonite like acrylic... hmmmmmmmm.

My own Huron is in rotation this week. Great pen. Great Brian!

Best,

Julie

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

That is just lovely! Although it's not a color scheme I'd choose for myself, that doesn't stop me from enjoying looking at yours. Well done, both of you.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

That is really a beautiful pen. Especially the clip just looks fabulous. Is the nib really black and silver? It looks silver in the photo.

One day, when I know what I would really like in a custom pen, I want an Edison!

Wish list: Aurora Optima

Current inked Pens: Pilot Decimo - Noodlers BBH, MB Mozart - MB Lavender

Pelikan M150 - Noodlers Kung te Cheng

That is really a beautiful pen. Especially the clip just looks fabulous. Is the nib really black and silver? It looks silver in the photo.

One day, when I know what I would really like in a custom pen, I want an Edison!

I couldn't decide between the silver and the black/silver nib, so Brian sent me pics of both -- and I only saved the pic with the silver nib. So the pic I posted shows the silver nib -- you have a very good eye to notice! Maybe Brian will post the pic of the black/silver nib if he reads this.

I love the black/silver nib (really dark gray/silver) -- I think it's elegant and sleek, and in keeping with the pen's minimalist look. I first fell in love with it on the "Stealth Huron."

I would urge you to go to pen shows if you can -- they're a great opportunity to hold and try lots of pens. I find it amazing the number of details there are that need to be considered. It's sort of like buying a house -- you have to look at a lot of houses in order to figure out what it is you like or don't like. And I heartily recommend Edison when you're ready for a custom pen!

HP

Very handsome Huron! Fascinating to hear about this ebonite like acrylic... hmmmmmmmm.

My own Huron is in rotation this week. Great pen. Great Brian!

Best,

Julie

This material IS astounding -- very warm and soft in the hand. And the satin finish enhances the tactile feel of the material. I'd have trouble distinguishing it from ebonite just by feel.

HP

i just bought a similar pen (sans clip) in the grande version. looking forward to getting it.

What material? I'm eager to see the Grande versions at the DC Pen Show -- probably too large for me, but they should be awesome. HP

Can I ask; do the nib units screw out? Or are they friction fit?

Platinum 3776 - F, Pilot Decimo - F, TWSBI Vac Mini - 1.1i

Can I ask; do the nib units screw out? Or are they friction fit?

They screw out of the section. HP

OK, I did save the pic of the 2-tone nib and here it is - again, it's Brian Gray's picture. HP

That is seriously sweet. Congrats on a unique and fabulous pen.

read, write, grade essays, repeat

I opted for the 2-tone black & silver steel nib, ground to a fine cursive italic, with average flow and some tooth. It initially performed well, but I was dismayed when after only a page of writing, it became scratchy and dry, and then dried up altogether and refused to write. I tried flushing the nib and the converter, and converting the pen to an eye dropper -- all with no success.

hi did you mean gold and silver steel nib? last i check, Brian only offered silver, and silver + gold steel nibs. If Brian really offered black and silver steel nib, i will seriously getting it in that dual tones!

Please check out my blogshop for fountain pens and inks at http://inkoholicanonymous.blogspot.com/ Reviews of my pens can be found there too!

hi did you mean gold and silver steel nib? last i check, Brian only offered silver, and silver + gold steel nibs. If Brian really offered black and silver steel nib, i will seriously getting it in that dual tones!

The two tone nibs in question are referred to as "black two tone". It is rhodium and ruthenium plating. The photo above shows the steel version.

The gold version is here....

http://meisternibs.com/images/nibs/18kb-large.jpg

I LOVE this pen and wanted to share it with you all!

Seems like we get about an Edison review per week here.

But you know, they never get old because each pen is different. (Unlike, say, the 20th review of a Lamy 2000 or Pilot Vanishing Point.) :rolleyes:

For pens that are produced in small numbers, Edisons get a lot of exposure here, but it makes sense. These pens appeal to the true die-hard fountain pen cranks -- just like FPN! And you know, whenever somebody gets his own custom creation, it's just natural to want to show it off. I'm sure I'll do the same. My first Edison is in the queue! :thumbup:

I LOVE this pen and wanted to share it with you all!

Seems like we get about an Edison review per week here.

For pens that are produced in small numbers, Edisons get a lot of exposure here, but it makes sense. These pens appeal to the true die-hard fountain pen cranks -- just like FPN! And you know, whenever somebody gets his own custom creation, it's just natural to want to show it off. I'm sure I'll do the same. My first Edison is in the queue! :thumbup:

+1. There's a good reason for that.

Exceptional customer service and a brilliant, unique pen made out of materials that we really want. And tuned the way we really want.

I love my Edison. The smooth, silky modern celluloid and the sleek finish and the wonderful cursive italic nib. If there was only a few things Brian could do better it would be to polish the inside of his bulb filler barrels (i.e. like the Visconti Opera Demo Master) and perhaps offer a better nib. His current nibs are butter smooth but a more ornate nib with semi-flex and ebonite feed may be further improvements. That said though, I think you can send Brian a nib of your choice and he'll install it into a custom Edison pen. I wonder what an Edison with a Dupont extra-large nib or a vintage MB 149 nib would look like.........

I'll admit my Edison is in storage at the moment because I've rotated my new MB 149 into daily use but I think about inking it every day. And I suspect I'll probably ink it once I've run out of ink in the MB 146...

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)