X-pen Podium 316f

SidandNancy

Introduction

This is my fist shot at providing a fountain pen review, and I am by no means a fountain pen expert, so apologies in advance if my lack of knowledge comes screaming through :doh:

I purchased the X-pen Podium earlier this year from Pen City in Melbourne (decided to shout myself a new pen - variety is the spice of life ;) . I asked the shop assistant for a good everyday writer for less than AU$100 (this was before I discovered the FPN of course!). The assistant was very helpful and recommended Lamys, Rotrings, and some of the cheaper Parkers, all of which I have in abundance. After much deliberation, she brought out the X-pen Podium, said it was a great seller and was within my price range - it was AU$60 from memory (which means you can probably buy it in the US and Europe for around $30 I'd expect).

My first impression of this pen was that it appeared to be a much more expensive and well made FP than reflected in the price.

My understanding is the X-pen is a relatively new brand, and the pens are made in Israel. The website isn't the most informative website around, but the catalogue does show the entire range (you need to click on each pen to see the FP version), including special editions. X-pen homepage

Appearance and Design

The X-pen Podium consists of a black lacquer barrel with shiny chrome plated clip and parts. It is a very glossy pen and although it won't win any artistic awards, its clean lines gives the impression that it is a "classy" pen designed for much use over a very long period time. If I had to define the design, I would characterise it as "classic conservative".

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc31/lmrk5705/Pens/X-pen-1.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc31/lmrk5705/Pens/X-penPodium.jpg

There is an X-pen logo engraved in the rim of the cap, but otherwise, it is plain.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc31/lmrk5705/Pens/X-pencap.jpg

I would give the appearance and design a 9 out of 10

Construction and Quality

This is where the X-pen Podium really excels! This is one incredibly solid and sturdy FP. I've used the Waterman Phileas for a comparison, and although the Phileas is bigger, compared to the X-pen Podium, IMHO it comes off looking and feeling like a cheap piece of junk (no disrespect to the Phileas which I also love, just purely from a construction and quality perspective).

Although I wouldn't throw it off the balcony of my 3rd story apartment, I did actually deliberately drop it onto the tiles in the bathroom to see how it would fare (how's that for testing it out :rolleyes: ). I'm 172 cm tall, and I raised it above my head and let it fall onto the tiles (capped of course). Not a mark!! It has been dropped in my office at work, rolled around the desk and kept in a mug full of other pens for the last 4 months and not a mark or scratch on it. I can't rave enough about how well constructed and finished this pen is.

For construction and quality, I would have to give it 10 out of 10

Weight and dimensions

The X-pen Podium is approximately 13.5cm capped, so about average length.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc31/lmrk5705/Pens/X-penmeasurement.jpg

I weighed it but my digital scales are playing up, so I'm not sure whether it came out in oz or grams, but it was 1.2 "whatevers". I also weighed the Phileas - both inked, and the Phileas was 0.8 "whatevers". This is consistent with the sturdiness of the X-pen. It feels heavy in the hand, which I quite like, but I don't write with it posted as it becomes too heavy for my liking.

The barrel is 4.5cm in circumference and the "writing holding bit-thing" (told you I'm not a FP expert!) is 4 cm in circumference.

I love the weight, size and feel of this pen and would give it a 9 out of 10

Nib Performance

My preference is for fine nibs, but when I dip tested the X-pen Podium in the shop, I found it too fine, so settled on the medium nib, which I would characterise more as a "fine medium", if that makes sense.

The nib is an Iridium point with some curlicues on it but otherwise unremarkable from a visual perspective. Other than it coming in a fine or medium nib, I don't know about other nib sizes for this model. The X-pen website isn't helpful in this regard.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc31/lmrk5705/Pens/X-pennib.jpg

This is a great writer :cloud9: I've been using it 5 days per week for the last 4 months (I know that's not long), and it is currently my favourite everyday writer. I do have better writers than this one, but for the cost, it is just wonderful.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc31/lmrk5705/Pens/X-penwritingdemonistration.jpg

I would give the X-pen Podium 8 out of 10 for nib performance.

Filling System and Maintenance

The X-pen Podium comes only with one small cartridge - no converter. It comes boxed with an outer box sleeve, which is quite good considering the cost.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc31/lmrk5705/Pens/X-penbox.jpg

My preference is for converters, so I had to purchase one separately (can't recall the cost, but think it was less than AU$10). Pen City is fantastic at fitting converters to any pens and the X-pen ended up with a Monteverde converter, which works wonderfully - no leaks or "fall outs".

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc31/lmrk5705/Pens/X-penconverter.jpg

As far as maintenance goes, I've rinsed the nib out once since I purchased it. The body is glossy and sturdy, so have only need to wipe it over with a lint free cloth (which I've only done once). The pen hasn't leaked and worked first time when inked.

Due to the lack of a converter and the inclusion of only one small cartridge, I can only give a 5 out of 10 for filling system, although the pen maintenance is simple.

Cost and value

This is a fantastic pen for the cost, in fact, one of the best value pens I have. I'm unsure as to its longevity, but due to its sturdiness and high quality, I would have to say that this is a pen that will last a very long time.

This bit is easy - 10 out of 10

Conclusion

Well, it must be screamingly obvious that I adore this pen. :thumbup: It looks very professional, if that is what you are after; it's as sturdy and tough as a rock; it's a fantastic writer and one of the best value for money pens that I've come across. Would highly recommend this pen as a gift or for an every day writer.

The only downside is the lack of a converter, but for the price, who cares! :happyberet:

Total for the X-pen Podium.......drum roll......9.5 out of 10!!

Cheers

Leah

Edited by SidandNancy

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SidandNancy

• Lord Nincompoop

• hecya

• sotto2

Thanks for a very complete and easy to read review. I like your pictures and I will be looking for this pen in the near future.

Oh, I like that pen. Almost looks Japanese-esque. Too bad the cap doesn't screw on.

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

Oh, I like that pen. Almost looks Japanese-esque. Too bad the cap doesn't screw on.

Yes, it is quite "Japanesesque". Although is doesn't have screw-on cap, it has have a very firm push on cap.

Any idea whether it's one of them cheap IPG nibs (the Chinese ones with no tipping) or the good Bock ones?

Pens Owned:

• Parker Sonnet, M nib
  • Sheaffer Calligraphy Set, F & M & B Calligraphy nibs
  • Inoxcrom Wall Street Elegance, M nib
  • Parker IM, F nib

Any idea whether it's one of them cheap IPG nibs (the Chinese ones with no tipping) or the good Bock ones?

Have absolutely no idea :mellow:

I've got a different X-Pen model, and I have a suspicion that they're pretty much all-Chinese efforts. I'm a big fan of mine as well-- however mysterious their origins, they're good pens at a decent price.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

I've got a different X-Pen model, and I have a suspicion that they're pretty much all-Chinese efforts. I'm a big fan of mine as well-- however mysterious their origins, they're good pens at a decent price.

Wow - and you wrote your review with it! Very impressive. Good to see there are other fans of this brand!

Very good review for this nice looking pen. I like it very much. Thks for sharing!!

Edited by andy1m