Sailor Super Air Extra Fine

hecya

Sailor Super Air Extra Fine nib

After the excellent experience with Pilot Prera I wanted to try an extra fine nib and I found this pen.

Packaging 1/5

The pen comes in a transparent plastic pouch with a card with the instructions in Japanese. Clearly a packaging to sell it on the supermarket. The Sailor brand is printed very small on a corner of this card.

Seeing this my expectations crumbled down. :unsure:

First Impressions 3/5

The body is just common plastic of a dark green color that I don´t like too much. Nothing special here.

post-41598-079071000 1276916728.jpg

Appearance & Design 5/10

The pen is slim and long. The cap is odd, black in color and made of a different kind of plastic. It it just does not belong to the pen. I guess the pen is really for a desktop holder. On the other hand the nib looks very nice, long and elegant. There is no clip and only a small metal trimming. The brand is not written anywhere, only in the nib.

post-41598-089081800 1276916736.jpg

Construction & Quality 7/10

Nothing to write home about it. No scratches or defects. The nib looks well made.

Nib & Performance 9/10

This is the part where this pen really shines! :yikes: This nib is finer than Pilot Fine and it is reasonably smooth. It is amazing how well it writes as it feels very stiff and I expected some flow problems but not al all. No skipping and starts immediately. I draw rapidly several diagonal lines and the ink flow remained constant, even better than the Pilot. The gripping section is longer than normal and it allows to hold the pen from a higher point for a more relaxed finger positioning.

post-41598-089847500 1276916745.jpg

Dimensions 9/10

Length: 179 mm

Weight: 5 grams

The pen is very light but the long body makes it very pleasant to write with it. I guess that for long writing sessions the long body, low weight and higher hold will help a lot.

Filling system & Maintenance 8/10

The filling system is a Sailor piston converter.

Cost & Value 8/10

I bought it from 'engeika' on ebay for US$26.00 plus US$13.00 shipping to Mexico in June 2010. It took one week to arrive. I guess it was a bit expensive but it is a unique pen among my small collection.

Conclusion 8/10

This pen is perfect for drawing as the extra fine line allows for a lot of detail and the constant ink flow ensures solid lines. I do not draw at all buy my writing is small so I will be using this pen a lot at my office.

post-41598-092104600 1276916752.jpg

Edited by hecya

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hecya

• watch_art

• GoldenGirl

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to add that in my Pilot Prera I had to abandon the blue ink and return to black because the writing appeared pale like if the ink flow was less than optimal. On the Sailor Super Air the blue ink really looks blue so the ink flow must be way better.

• 8 months later...

I also have this pen, mine is black instead of green.

I hate this ugly pen, but I haven't found a better 'cheap' nib so far...this darned nib is awesome...LOL

Does anyone know if this pen's nib can be removed and put in a different pen body?

I would hate to try to remove this nib only to find out that it's in there permanently and then break it ...

Inked

Sailor Sapporo MF Rhodium nib by John Mottishaw - Noodler's Heart of Darkness
- Ink changes often