De Atramentis Adular Blue

jschwab

Here is my new review of De Atramentis Adular Blue. A relatively new ink from De Atramentis. As has been my habit of late, the review is in two parts: a formal review on a review form, and a more freestyle bit on Rhodia No. 16 Tablet paper.

http://www.dslnorthwest.net/~jschwab/images/DAAdularBlue1.jpg

http://www.dslnorthwest.net/~jschwab/images/DAAdularBlue2.jpg

As mentioned in the review. This ink dries very slowly with this pen. The ink is gorgeous on paper, but with this combination there was still ink that looked rather shiny and wet after several minutes. I will update this review some time in the not to distant future with a finer nibbed pen.

The highlights... This is the single most saturated and shady ink I have used to date. On the Rhodia tablet the ink looks to shade from a near midnight blue to a nice dark turquoise. There is a bit of Naples Blue in the Rhodia test, enough to show the differences at least.

It should also be noted that the paper used for the 'formal' review is a light natural in color, so keep that in mind when comparing the two scans as the paper color did not scan well.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

John

Edited by jschwab

John Schwab

http://www.dslnorthwest.net/~jschwab/images/letterex.pnghttp://www.dslnorthwest.net/~jschwab/images/cardex.png

Pens for sale at my Website.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IWantThat

• jschwab

• saskia_madding

• Ally

OMG! That is so gorgeous! I was just dreaming of new inks, and this has now moved to the top of my list :puddle:

Tamara

Wow. That stuff really is gorgeous. I'm looking forward to your update to see how the drying time is in a slightly less juicy nib.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

:bunny01: Ha ha ha! I just placed an order for my own Adular Blue :bunny01:

Thanks again for sharing :)

Edited by IWantThat

Tamara

Hi Tamara!

Where are you ordering your De Atramentis ink from? I can never get Art Brown's site, it is always undergoing overnight update when I try from Australia :crybaby:

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

Hi Tamara!

Where are you ordering your De Atramentis ink from? I can never get Art Brown's site, it is always undergoing overnight update when I try from Australia :crybaby:

Chris,

De Atramentis Inks are also available from Pear Tree Pen Co. , Laywines in Canada, Missing Pen in Germany and direct from the source at De Atramentis in Germany.

John

John Schwab

http://www.dslnorthwest.net/~jschwab/images/letterex.pnghttp://www.dslnorthwest.net/~jschwab/images/cardex.png

Pens for sale at my Website.

I ordered from Art Brown just last night. Must be an Internet issue if you're having trouble with their site :( I suppose an international phone call isn't really an option though. Maybe one of the other sites mentioned can help :)

Tamara

Hi,

The colour is rather interesting, especially when you mention that the lightest shading is turquoise. (Also seen in your Dry Time / Smear samples, where the wet ink is smeared.) So would that make the darkest shading more of a Teal than a true Blue?

I would be interested in seeing this ink from a more normal nib, rather than a wet stubbed flexie. So if you can add such a written sample, it would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, did you notice any SITB?

Regards,

Sandy1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• 2 months later...

I tried this in 2 pens. A wet medium and a dry medium, it looks like 2 seperate inks. The wet is beautiful like your test, the dry is kind of a boring aqua color. Yor handwring is very cool.

This is a beautiful color. It reminds me of PR-DC Supershow. Anyone have any experience with both?

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I was just up at Art Brown's this afternoon and the sample they had in their notebook looked nothing like this review. Not even close. I wish they would let me do a swab test of that ink on the spot. This review really made me want some.

I was just up at Art Brown's this afternoon and the sample they had in their notebook looked nothing like this review. Not even close. I wish they would let me do a swab test of that ink on the spot. This review really made me want some.

Yeah, this looks nothing like the swab we just did (our batch is only a few weeks old). Ours appears much much lighter. Is this similar to what you saw at Art Brown?

I ordered mine from Art Brown maybe a year ago (just after it came out) and it looks like the swab the Goulets have, it's a very pretty, very wet turquoise.

Edited by Ally

I ordered mine about a five months ago, also from Art Brown. I'd say it is quite close to Diamine Asa Blue, and doesn't look as dark as the above review at all. I actually wish it did - I like the colour I see in the review much better. :)

As someone who takes a bunch of ink review photos, and has tons of them look completely different than the reality of the ink, I absolutely sympathize with the difficulty of getting an ink picture look true to life!

Edited by simonerodrigue

I tried this in 2 pens. A wet medium and a dry medium, it looks like 2 seperate inks. The wet is beautiful like your test, the dry is kind of a boring aqua color. Yor handwring is very cool.

That is good to hear. I want to get the ink to look like it does in the scan. I already have a bunch of lighter blues and really want something deep. Have to get a sample and try it out in a few different pens to see if any of mine will get that look.

What type of pens/paper were you using to get it to look like the scan?

• 3 years later...

My bottle of Adular Blue does not have the faintest resemblance to either your test or the color shown on the de Atramentis web site.
It is a coldish green-blue, something like Waterman's South Sea Blue.

Your review DOES resemble the bottle of Ultramarine Blue I also received ....it makes me speculate whether there's been a mix-up?

• 3 weeks later...

My bottle of Adular Blue does not have the faintest resemblance to either your test or the color shown on the de Atramentis web site.

It is a coldish green-blue, something like Waterman's South Sea Blue.

Your review DOES resemble the bottle of Ultramarine Blue I also received ....it makes me speculate whether there's been a mix-up?

Steffan, I just had a similar problem...

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY