Waterman South Seas Blue

Sandy1

Kindly adjust the brightness & contrast of your monitor to accurately depict this Gray Scale.

As the patches are neutral gray, the colour on your monitor should also be neutral.

Figure 1.

Grey Scale.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/FPN049.jpg

Figure 2.

Paper: HP1124 Laser Copy.

Swabs: Waterman Florida Blue. Waterman South Seas Blue.

Swatch: Drawn with Parker Sonnet + CI B.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Waterman%20South%20Seas%20Blue/INK330.jpg

WRITTEN SAMPLES: Moby Dick

Nib-ism

Note - Narrow Nibs:

The first two lines have a row height of 4mm: one row in mixed case, and the following row is block printed. The third & fourth lines have a row height of 8mm.

Figure 3.

Paper: HP1124 Laser Copy.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Waterman%20South%20Seas%20Blue/INK333.jpg

Figure 4.

Paper: Rhodia.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Waterman%20South%20Seas%20Blue/INK336.jpg

Figure 5.

Paper: G Lalo, Verge de France, White.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Waterman%20South%20Seas%20Blue/INK337.jpg

Figure 6.

Grocery List

Paper: Pulp - from a one-a-day cartoon calendar.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Waterman%20South%20Seas%20Blue/INK338.jpg

Figure 7.

'Happy +'

Paper: Glossy card stock.

Note: This is a jokeroo - conjured from repeatedly making 'points' of ink on the sheet. The darn ink barely holds a dot - let alone a line. Tsk!

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Waterman%20South%20Seas%20Blue/INK331.jpg

OTHER SAMPLES:

Figure 8.

Smear / Dry Time; Wet Tests.

Paper: HP 1124 Laser Copy.

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/InkyThoughts2010/Ink%20Review%20-%20Waterman%20South%20Seas%20Blue/INK332.jpg

GENERAL DESCRIPTION:

Type:

• Dye-based fountain pen ink.

Daily writer?

• Fairly possible, especially if one prefers a light shade.

Other:

• Sits well upon the page; but doesn't either claim the page or relinquish it.
  • This ink has modest wetness; it is neither a saturated ink not is it a soft shading ink.
  • This might be a 'Must Have' for someone I have yet to meet.

USE:

Business:

• Another alternative to the Boring Blues, but this one is on the cusp of being confusing.
  • The ink is softer and lighter than most 'business blues', and the tint of green (readily seen in lighter tones) adds an interesting alt colour.
  • Can be used without hesitation for internal and external correspondence.
  • Adequate for mark-up, editing, revision, etc.
  • Signatures.

Illustrations / Graphics:

• It would appear that the colour is not suitable for such purposes:
  • The ink exhibited significant darkening in the pen when not in use. (No idea what's up with this!?) So inability to be consistent is a great draw-back.

Personal:

• Certainly.
  • This is a fairly neutral colour, but could be mistaken for a 'business blue', and so may be convivial, but not really so friend friendly.
  • The ability to bring the green more to the fore seems necessary to make this a really 'personal' ink.
  • The lack of attractive shading may well encourage use of Italic or other nib shape/s.

PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE & CHARACTERISTICS:

Flow:

• Tends to be neutral.
  • OK with all sampled nibs & feeds.

Nib Dry-out:

• All pens started immediately after 10 minutes uncapped.

Start-up:

• While the pens started without hesitation, there was a noticeable and unexpected darkening of the ink after only a few minutes idle.
  • This is apparent on the the HP1124 with the M200, the Safari and the Sonnet; and on the Rhodia with the Imperial, the 600, the Phileas and the Sonnet; and on the G Lalo with both the Safari and the Sonnet.
  • N.B. There was a momentary temptation to redo those samples to eliminate the problem - but that is not how I do a Review: if the ink misbehaves, then the results are shown.

Lubrication:

• Adequate.
  • Very much like WFB.

Nib Creep:

• None.

Staining:

• No.

Clogging:

• Unlikely.

Bleed Through:

• Not on any of the papers.

Show Though:

• Both sides of paper may be used without a problem.

Smell:

• Vert faint; ink.

Hand oil sensitivity:

• Not noticed.

Archival:

• Makes no such claim.

Water Resistance: (Figure 8)

• Imaginary.

Smear Results: (Figure 8)

• Dry within 12 seconds.

Bulletproof:

• Makes no such claim.

Clean Up:

• Quick & thorough with plain water. :-)

Mixing:

• No stated prohibitions / limitations.

THE LOOK:

Saturation:

• Modest.

Shading:

• Not readily apparent.
  • I really didn't care for the shading that is generated. (?)
  • Shading_Link

Feathering:

• On the HP1124, and not just when excessive ink is laid down.
  • Feathering_Link

Variance depending on pen+nib combos used:

• Very consistent.
  • :thumbup:

FIDELITY:

Is colour name appropriate / accurate?

• Yes, but...
    • depends on one's imagination, (sharks & pirates??), and
    • one's geographic location - those living in the antipodes would likely have a different idea. (?)

[*]The colour on the box is reasonably accurate; and three densities are shown.

PAPERS:

Lovely papers:

• This ink should look good on most white papers.
  • Could handle paper with optical brighteners.

Trip-wire papers:

• This ink should not be used on off- dirty-white paper.

Tinted Papers:

• No, thank-you for asking.

Is high-end paper 'worth it'?

• No.
  • The ink shows what little it has to offer on the HP1124.

OTHER THAN INK:

Presentation :

• 50ml. bottle.

Country of origin:

• France.

Container:

• A clear glass bottle, shaped with odd little angles to facilitate ease of filling if ink level is low. Box is 70x65x42mm
  • The centred round opening is 22mm in diameter.
  • The cap has adequate grippy bits.
  • The cap is not child-proof.
  • The cap seal seems to be plastic foam.
  • Single tank, no filling aids, no sediment collector. Minor 'Tsk'. (I am so jaded.)

Box:

• Nicely done coated card stock.

Eco-Green:

• Fine: All bits likely to be recycled.

Availability:

• Not as widely available as the ubiquitous 'Florida Blue'.

ETC:

Majik:

• None.
  • Zip.
  • A big goose egg.
  • Rien.
  • De nada.
  • Maffi.
  • Никакие.

Personal Pen & Paper Pick:

• If pressed, I'd pick the Pelikan M200 on the HP1124.

Yickity Yackity:

• I gave away the nearly-full bottle.

• I can understand why 'Rocket1' did not include scans in their Review of this ink.
  • Ah kushbaby, how on Earth can you like this ink? Yikes! Are my braids too tight: cutting-off blood circulation to my brain?

'-"-'-"-'-"-'-"-'-"-'-"-'-"-'-"-'-"-'-"-'-"-'-"-'-"-'-"-'-"-'-"-'-"-'-"-'-"-'-"-'-"-'-"-'-"-'

MATERIEL USED:

These pen+nib combos:

• Sheaffer Imperial + steel XF nib. Pen0
  • Rotring 600 + steel F nib. Pen1
  • Pelikan M200 + M200 series g-p steel M nib. Pen2
  • Lamy Safari + black steel M nib. Pen3
  • Waterman Phileas + steel B nib. Pen4
  • Parker Sonnet + 18K stock CI B nib. Pen5

For lines & labels:

• Pilot Plumix + steel XF nib; inked with Visconti Bordeaux.

On these papers:

• HP 1124 24 lb. Laser Copy.
  • Rhodia.
  • G Lalo 'Verge de France', Ivory: Safari + M, and Sonnet + CI B.
  • Pulp - one-a-day cartoon calendar page: Imperial XF nib only.
  • Glossy card stock: Phileas + B.

NOTES:

1. I use only papers, pens & nibs that are readily available, not too pricey and 'stock' - not customised.
    1. If some pens/nibs are not currently produced, I'll use them if there are NOS or restored pieces readily available at OK prices.
    2. As appropriate, I'll include an implement outside of those guidelines, which will be ID-ed as a *Dealer's Choice.

[*]Figures were produced on an Epson V600 scanner; factory defaults were accepted.

1. Originals scanned at 150 dpi & 24 bit colour to produce .jpg files.
  2. Close-ups (linked) were scanned at 600 dpi & 24 bit colour to produce .jpg files.
  3. The images were not adjusted other than cropping and straightening using iPhoto on a MacBook.

[*]Scanner Densitometer Readings were generated from the Drawn Swatch in Figure 2: Red 33; Green 134; Blue 210; Luminosity 129.

-30-

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Silvermink

• Dr Lopez

• Penman222

Outstanding review, thank you. I have been using this ink for years albeit occasionally. I tend to prefer Waterman Florida Blue as my regular blue. Although, as you explain in your review it is a nice ink for editing and it has a personal touch in private correspondence. I also noticed this ink is much more greenish on ivory paper. Actually, it looks like a completely different ink on Rhodia notebooks for instance. It is a really good representation of the colour of the Mediterranean sea, that changes from pale blue to green depending on sunlight and sea depth.

In my current rotation:

Pelikan 400 Brown Tortoise/14K Fine/J. Herbin Cafe des Iles

Lamy 2000/14K Medium/Lamy Blue-Black

Sailor 1911 Large burgundy/21K Naginata Togi Medium/Diamine Oxblood

Montblanc 146/14K Fine/Montblanc Racing Green

Rosetta blue/Steel Pendelton cursive italic/Pelikan Royal Blue

Delta Passion/18K Broad/Diamine Syrah

Thank-you for another great turquoise colour review,Sandy.Waterman South Seas Blue is a turquoise colour that has been around for a long time.It is a very nice colour and it works well in any of the pens I have used it in.

Outstanding review, thank you. I have been using this ink for years albeit occasionally. I tend to prefer Waterman Florida Blue as my regular blue. Although, as you explain in your review it is a nice ink for editing and it has a personal touch in private correspondence. I also noticed this ink is much more greenish on ivory paper. Actually, it looks like a completely different ink on Rhodia notebooks for instance. It is a really good representation of the colour of the Mediterranean sea, that changes from pale blue to green depending on sunlight and sea depth.

Hello,

I'm glad the Review tends to reflect your view of this ink.

Thank-you for the heads up on how the Ivory paper and Rhodia notebooks change the colour of the ink.

I agree that it is likely that the ink will appear more green on Ivory paper. I think there are two reasons for that: The simple show-through of the warm Ivory is in effect 'adding yellow' to the blue, and so generates a more green impression; also I think there is a visual/perceptual phenomenon where the background colour has an effect on the text/ink colour. But that can work two ways: to approximate the tone/colour of the background, as seen in camouflage; or the 'snap & zap' of contrasting tone/colour, as seen in well-designed (warning) signage.

The Rhodia that was used is from a pad, the 'Bloc Rhodia No. 18'. I don't know the paper to which you refer to as "... it looks like a completely different ink on Rhodia notebooks...", unless you refer to the yellow Rhodia paper found in their No. 19 & 119 pads.

I have the understanding from Mr Goulet that the white Rhodia paper is quite uniform across their product range; which is a reason for using it extensively in my Ink Reviews.

I do think that this is a characteristic of this ink: it is on the cusp of being either a 'blue with a hint of green' or a 'quite blue turquoise'. So even slight changes could nudge it one way or the other.

YMMV

Bye,

S1

WSSB is one of the few blues I really like. I also have Caran d'Ache Caribbean Sea, which is similar but a little bit greener (oh, and a lot more expensive).

Edited by Silvermink

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Nice thorough review of a beautiful ink. You took it a lot farther than most reviewers do- thanks! Now my decision is cemented to buy this ink.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Great review of another terrific Waterman ink I use regularly. FYI, Pelikan 4001 Turquoise in nearly indistinguishable from South Sea Blue - almost an exact match.

Again--a fabulous review. This is another one of my top-10 inks.

My review would look like this:

"I love this ink! No problems, ever. Perfect in a wet writer."

And that would be why you are such a better reviewer than I am!!!

Much Love--Virginia

Thanks for the nice review. Waterman South Seas Blue and Iroshizuku Yama-Budo are my fav inks.

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

Thanks for a great review S1. Your remarks are always so amusing....;)

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

Sandy, another "Kick-Ass" review. I love this color, and also some other Turquoise brands. Inspiring review. I'm always dizzy when I finish reading them.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Chapeau! Great review. 

Pelikan 140 OB

Pelikan M605 blue F

Pelikan M200 transparent (Demonstrator Japan) M

Pelikan Level 65 yellow M

Pelikan Level 65 red B  

Pelikan Go! black/magenta M

Pelikan Go! black/petrol M

Pelikan M70/Go! (C/C) magenta B

Pelikan Steno red (70s)

Lamy Safari charcoal 1.5 mm italic

Lamy Safari yellow EF

Lamy Vista Eyedropper 1.9 mm italic

Reform P 120

2x Reform 1745

WSSB is one of the few blues I really like. I also have Caran d'Ache Caribbean Sea, which is similar but a little bit greener (oh, and a lot more expensive).

Ah, the Cd'A CS is the ink that got me to rejuvenate my interest in this portion of the colour wheel (read 'ink vortex'). It started innocently enough : looking for the perfect 'non-pink' ink for the Notorious Pink Safari - uber cool & ultra chic. A counterpose to the colour of the NPS itself.

Oh, when/if I review the Cd'A CS, I intend to go back to using the $10 Pilot 78G + g-p F nib. Yup: a top tier ink should be able to look good from a $10 pen on a pulp-paper Grocery List.

Bye,

S1

Nice thorough review of a beautiful ink. You took it a lot farther than most reviewers do- thanks! Now my decision is cemented to buy this ink.

Hi,

Glad you enjoy the review; and that it gave you enough info to make a decision. I've found that buying ink can be so much of a gamble, that I go a bit farther than some to give an idea how an ink might well look from your pen on your paper. A lofty goal, but if I can keep ink from languishing unused and unloved in some box under the stairs, then its worth it. (And save you a few $ along the way.)

Oh, and might I ask that you Post your impressions after you have used the ink. Are your results in harmony with the Review?

Bye,

S1

Great review of another terrific Waterman ink I use regularly. FYI, Pelikan 4001 Turquoise in nearly indistinguishable from South Sea Blue - almost an exact match.

Hi,

I'm glad you appreciate the Review.

Here's the Link to the comparison of the 2 inks: Comparison_Post

Colour-wise they're pretty close I'd say. But look at the HiRes written samples. Colour is one thing, performance is another thing, yes? Hmm.

Bye,

S1

Thanks for a great review S1. Your remarks are always so amusing....;)

Hi -- I like to whistle while I work, or at least hum a tune. -- Bye, S1

Sandy, another "Kick-Ass" review. I love this color, and also some other Turquoise brands. Inspiring review. I'm always dizzy when I finish reading them.

"... always dizzy when I finish reading them. ..."

Ah, perhaps I should discontinue using Moby Dick as my chosen text - are people getting sea-sick from such a rollicking yarn?

:yikes:

Chapeau! Great review.

Foulard Basque!

:happyberet:

Hi,

Colour-wise they're pretty close I'd say. But look at the HiRes written samples. Colour is one thing, performance is another thing, yes? Hmm.

Bye,

S1

Point taken. I can see the WSSB is more intense, better shading, and depth in your comparison. Like I mentioned, I love WSSB and Waterman inks in general, but I really can't tell the difference between it and the Pelikan in everyday writing.

Hi,

Bye,

S1

Point taken. I can see the WSSB is more intense, better shading, and depth in your comparison. Like I mentioned, I love WSSB and Waterman inks in general, but I really can't tell the difference between it and the Pelikan in everyday writing.

Hi,

I try to be reasonable when making comparisons. One of my favorite 'Litmus Tests' is : 'If I wrote the first Page with ink X and the second Page with ink Y, could you tell the difference when reading the document - not side-by-side?"

I have seen some that inks that have such similar colour, but the performance is dreadful: woe to the people (myself amongst them) who buy ink from online swatches / samples.

And, the folks who rail against higher-priced inks, using the line 'I can get the same colour in Brand Z at 2/3 the price.' Well OK, post some written samples.

Pardon me - the Rx are wearing off; and I don't want to unravel this thread.

Bye,

S1