Pilot Plumix

fiberdrunk

1. Appearance & Design (10/10): I'll preface this by saying I like cheap fountain pens, even plastic ones like this one. It has an interesting shape (click here to see). It's a bit on the fat side, but there is an indentation where your fingers hold onto it, so it's comfortable. The cap is a screw-type lid that looks like a little rocket, and it can fit on the tail-end of the pen during writing. Most of all, I like that this pen comes in purple.

2. Construction & Quality (8/10): This seems to be constructed all right for a plastic pen (but see my nib concerns below).

3. Weight & Dimensions (10/10): This is a lightweight pen and not too short.

4. Nib & Performance (8/10): The nib is crisp, medium sized, and gives nice definition to your writing, esp. if you're doing calligraphy. However, I have had the nib suddenly flood out of the blue a few times, leaving me with a messy pool of ink on the paper. This happened while the pen was full of ink.

5. Filling System & Maintenance (5/10): This pen only comes with a single blue ink cartridge, which I haven't used. Target, where I bought the pen, didn't even offer refills or an ink converter. For this reason I'm giving it a lower score. I'm told the Pilot Con-20 converter will fit this pen. I converted it into an eyedropper, however, using this o-ring and a little silicone grease. Worked like a charm. I love that I'm able to use this pen as an eyedropper!

6. Cost & Value (10/10): I paid less than $7 for this at Target, which was even cheaper than Jetpens price.

7. Conclusion (8.5/10): Strong points for me were that I could obtain this pen locally and inexpensively, that it comes in purple, and that I could convert it into an eyedropper pen.

ETA: tried to add image but failed at first.

Forgive my chicken scratch. I have nerve damage in my hand!

post-43953-127507810861.jpg

Edited by fiberdrunk

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chthulhu

• majorworks

• carroll

• fiberdrunk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My Plumix just came in the mail from Jetpens. Can't use it as an ED filler since there's a hole at the non-business end of the barrel. I did fit it with a con-50 though. I'll ink it up tonight and use the italic nib to address envelopes. :)

Two of my three Plumix pens have somewhat loose feeds; one practically falls out on its own, and the other has crept out while I was writing, causing it to suddenly flood with ink.

Pengrump, on the three I have the hole doesn't penetrate into the barrel. Did you try to blow through the hole, or fill the barrel with water?

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

My Plumix just came in the mail from Jetpens. Can't use it as an ED filler since there's a hole at the non-business end of the barrel. I did fit it with a con-50 though. I'll ink it up tonight and use the italic nib to address envelopes. :)

I plugged the end of the barrel with some silicone grease and have been using mine as an eyedropper for weeks. Not one drop of spilled ink. You might try that to see if it works.

read, write, grade essays, repeat

Two of my three Plumix pens have somewhat loose feeds; one practically falls out on its own, and the other has crept out while I was writing, causing it to suddenly flood with ink.

Pengrump, on the three I have the hole doesn't penetrate into the barrel. Did you try to blow through the hole, or fill the barrel with water?

I blew into and through the hole. It goes all the way through the plastic, unlike the barrels on my two Pluminix pens, also from Jetpens, where the hole is more of a simple indentation. I suspect there's a lot of variance in these pens. But for around $8 I'm certainly not complaining.

Beautiful handwriting. No chicken scratch!

I've had and given away a total of about a half-dozen Plumix. Never had any of those above-mentioned flow problems.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

For the Target price of $6.29, I think I will re-use the cartridge and fill it with something more interesting. My light blue Plumix version has a hole in the tip of the barrel, too, so no luck eye-droppering it.

I like the small italic nib on the Plumix, so I have shared it around to other pens. The Plumix and Pilot 78G have interchangeable nib units.

Edited by carroll

It would be simple enough to plug those holes with a dab of silicone *sealant* (not grease). Looking closely at my three pens again, the holes do *almost* penetrate; I'm guessing they're the result of the barrel mold's ejector pin being a bit hotter than necessary.

Mike Hungerford

For the Target price of $6.29, I think I will re-use the cartridge and fill it with something more interesting.

That's neat that you can re-use the cartridge... how do you fill it exactly?

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

Carefully remove it from the pen (it's a tight fit) and fill it with a syringe, pipette, or small eyedropper from a bottle of ink.

Mike Hungerford

• 1 month later...

Carefully remove it from the pen (it's a tight fit) and fill it with a syringe, pipette, or small eyedropper from a bottle of ink.

If you can find him still, Charles Draper on the Zoss mailing list was (several years ago) distributing a very very handy syringe system for refilling old cartridges. Not very complicated system, just a plastic syring body, and two 'needles' one made of plastic, the other of metal. Neither were sharp. I just refilled my Pilot proprietary cart with Conway Stewart Turquoise.

BTW, my Plumix is a Med italic and I picked it up at Target.

If you can find him still, Charles Draper on the Zoss mailing list was (several years ago) distributing a very very handy syringe system for refilling old cartridges. Not very complicated system, just a plastic syring body, and two 'needles' one made of plastic, the other of metal. Neither were sharp. I just refilled my Pilot proprietary cart with Conway Stewart Turquoise.

BTW, my Plumix is a Med italic and I picked it up at Target.

I do the same with my cartridges. Note that you can find plastic syringes of various sizes and flexible plastic "needles" at many hobby shops, usually sold as glue dispensers, and priced quite reasonably. They work well both for filling and for flushing cartridges.

Mike Hungerford

I just picked up a Plumix at Target last night. It's my first italic nib and I'm having fun. I filled the hole in the barrel with superglue and will probably treat it as an ED pen once the cartridge is empty. Or I may try refilling it with an eyedropper... but that seems like an accident waiting to happen.

Edited by majorworks
Happiness is an Indian ED!

Sorry for the duplicate post...

Edited by majorworks

I tried looking in my Target for this, but I couldn't find it. Anybody know where exactly in Target this is?

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by Vargouille

I tried looking in my Target for this, but I couldn't find it. Anybody know where exactly in Target this is?

Any help is appreciated.

There should be an aisle with office/school supplies and all sorts of pens, markers, notebooks (including some Rhodia), etc. If not, you might need to switch Target stores for a bigger one...

I think my local Targets (Southern California) have stopped carrying them. I haven't been able to find them at Target but JetPens carries them...

-- Moo

I just picked up one of these for my daughter. I'm applying the silicone sealant tonight and will ink it up tomorrow. She's pretty excited and I'm thinking that it'll be a good ED pen for her. Thanks for the reviews and info. Oh, and I got mine at Target in Hillsboro, OR tonight. They only had one fine nib, but we got it. =)

I just picked up one of these for my daughter. I'm applying the silicone sealant tonight and will ink it up tomorrow. She's pretty excited and I'm thinking that it'll be a good ED pen for her. Thanks for the reviews and info. Oh, and I got mine at Target in Hillsboro, OR tonight. They only had one fine nib, but we got it. =)

Check the nib carefully on your pen. The packaging for mine said fine, but the nib is marked M.