Water Fastness of Namiki Ink

HeathnKara

I saw in a recent posting that Namiki inks were listed as water resistant but not waterproof. Has anyone done any testing to determine exactly how water resistant their inks are? I use a Vanishing Point at work, and am thinking about switching using their cartridges for the sake of convenience. I want to make sure though that I won't have a mess on my hands if the paper gets a little wet (I work in a chemical plant and there's always opportunities for papers to get wet). Will the ink smudge or smear if there are a few drops? Is it only an issue if you submerge the paper?

On a side note, anyone have any thoughts on how the flow properties of Namiki ink compare to Noodler's Black?

Thanks in advance, it always amazes me at how much knowledge the members of this community have and how willing they are to share.

Heath

Arguing with an engineer is a lot like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a while, you realize the pig likes it.

Geaux Tigers!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Taki

• pvdiamon

• HeathnKara

• saintsimon

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's Japanese FP user's page with light-exposure test and water test of various ink (sorry, no Noodler's or PR etc). The first part (with Platinum, Pilot, Sailor and Montblanc inks) is the light-exposure test, and the second part with color inks is the water test.

http://andrew.d-pad.co.jp/BUNGU/COLUMN/04/0523.html

I use Pilot BB in my decimo and Capless often and it flows pretty good. I would say it will smear if you touch it with wet hand or drop a few drops of water. However I think there will be enough ink remains on the paper so that you can read it.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Taki

Thanks for the usefull links, Taki. :)

They illustrate the water resistance of Namiki Blue-Black and Sailor Black quite well, also the fact that MB BB in bottles respectively carts are completely different inks. I'm also happy to see my favourite PR Midnight Blues stays at least readable.

I've been using Namiki Black and have found it reasonably water resistant. It fades, but under running water for 15 seconds, is quite legible. I don't know how it would do soaked for days. I think it would do for most situations. But I've gathered that Pelikan/Cross Black may be a bit better in water resistance.

John

Edited by pvdiamon

John in NC

The passion not to be fooled and not to fool anybody else..two searching questions of positivism: what do you mean? How do you know? (Bertrand Russell, Dominant Passion of The True Scientist)

Taki, do you know how long the ink was exposed to water in the water tests? I guess my main concern is I don't want an ink that will get damp and start smearing over everything I own and making a mess. I'm an engineer working in a plant, so I'm surrounded by "practical" people. I'm the only one there using a FP, and I don't want it to turn into some big sideshow disaster. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Heath

Arguing with an engineer is a lot like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a while, you realize the pig likes it.

Geaux Tigers!

I have both bottle Namiki blue & black. I find the blue to have excellent water-resistance and the black to have pretty good resistance. I blend them to make a nice water-resistant blue-black.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I haven't found smearing to be the issue--it's fading if exposed to enough water.

John

John in NC

The passion not to be fooled and not to fool anybody else..two searching questions of positivism: what do you mean? How do you know? (Bertrand Russell, Dominant Passion of The True Scientist)