Picasso Emotion of Roman F917

hecya

Picasso “Emotion of Roman” F917 Black F nib

While browsing on eBay I found this pen that looked very good on pictures.As the price was not so high I took the chance and ordered it.

Packaging 4/5

The pen comes in a cardboard box that contains a more solid box, black in color with white stitches.

Inside the box is the pen with an instructions booklet.

On the outer box there is a label written in Chinese and what it seems the model number (PS-917) and serial number. There is also an hologram.

post-41598-127267503544.jpg

post-41598-127267505427.jpg

First Impressions 5/5

Gorgeous! The finishing of the pen is awesome. The black body is shiny and smooth and it is no marked by fingerprints. The silver parts are also of extremely good quality.

post-41598-127267512007.jpg

post-41598-127267515276.jpg

Appearance & Design 9/10

The pen is slim, On the cap top there is engraved the word “Picasso” as well as on the metal band at the end of the cap right below the clip and also in another metal band towards the end of the body.

The nib is semi hooded and with a silver finishing.

The cap clicks solidly in place.

The gripping section has some texture and, most important to me, the finish is also a glossy black that goes very well with the body. I really hate those pens that have the gripping section of a completely different color and finish than the body and make it look rather cheap.

post-41598-127267518576.jpg

post-41598-127267521756.jpg

In short, a very sober and elegant design.

Construction & Quality 9/10

The build quality is very very good. Even on the piston converter there is the brand logo engraved on a metal band.

The pen is heavy but very well balanced.

post-41598-127267524415.jpg

Nib & Performance 9/10

The nib is very smooth. Smoother than both my Lamy F and Pelikan M215 F nibs. The pen just glides over the paper. This Fine nib writes more like a Medium.

Following my recent experiences I rinsed the pen several times with liquid soap and then water before loading ink.

Filling system & Maintenance 8/10

The filling system is a piston converter.

Cost & Value 9/10

I bought it from 'no_9527' on ebay for US$18.50 plus US$10.00 shipping to Mexico in April 2010. It took three weeks to arrive.

Conclusion 9/10

I love this pen. It looks way more expensive and the quality has nothing to envy from Pelikan M215. All I can say is that it is my favorite pen now!

Edited by hecya

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hecya

• dddtc2005

• PDW

• notimetoulouse

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a quick update. The pen is so nice that my wife have snatched it from me. It was mine for about 2 hours ... :crybaby:

On the other hand that gives me the possibility to order another one for myself :)

I didn't mention the packaging but both mine came with similar inner and outer boxes.

The Picasso pens really do seem to be very good, OK there aren't many discussions but I've not seen a negative comment about them.

I don't know if any body in the UK intends importing the brand but if they do I think the budget pen market here will have it's backside well and truly kicked. Assuming people get beyond the "Chinese Pen" hangup.

Craig

"Those Who Know What's Best For Us, Must Rise And Save Us From Ourselves."

Witch Hunt - Neil Peart

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

hello hecya.

i have a similar pen (brand Lanbitou, chinese) and it looks exactly the same as yours except for the section, tho it has the same "nib guard" (that's how i call it). well, that nib guard came loose and now it's stuck inside the cap with no way to get it out. just be careful uncapping and posting... just a word of advice.

here's a pic of the pen:

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n419/peterpaul_rguez/BrtNBBwmkKGrHqQH-CIEvBp0Po4FBL021Yw.jpg

(pic from ebay seller: http://cgi.ebay.com/LANBITOU-228-gloss-black-Fine-Nib-Fountain-Pen-new-/390187442491?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ad8fbe13b )

thanx for sharing.

As a chinese, I don't like picasso pens. I think it has no advantages than Germany pens or Japanese pens except price...

• 2 years later...

Thanks very much for this really in depth review...I've just bought one because of it.

I might be old, but at least I got to see all the best Bands.

For your edification I set out below one Chinese ebay seller's description of the pen:

"917 Emotion of Roman

Roman is the final home of artists souls. The Roman love has includes the ancient charm of Roman and simplified art style of Greece. The iridium nib of French best products, which has been tested by strict writing tests. Only a turn of the barrel, you can get the best writing position for you. Made by the shape of Roman pole and of best quality cooper, the clip has the best flexing, it give you the good writing as well as the romantic and secret Roman art feeling."

Luckily their pens are better ...

I'm about to fill mine for the first time with - of course - Diamine Imperial Purple.

Edited by PDW