Anybody know what a "Planck" nib is?

davefeldman

I just picked up a Pelikan 120 (the one manufactured by M&K in the 70's) at a garage sale. Anyhow, it came with a 14k gold italic nib that doesn't appear to be made by Pelikan, though it screws in perfectly--it is marked "Planck 14k-585". Anybody have any info about this nib? I can't find anything on Google.

Any and all help appreciated!

Dave

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davefeldman

• Feanor

• rdh

• sjs

This is a nib whose line width is thinner than a Planck length, or approximately 1.61×10−35 meters.

It is roughly equivalent to a Japanese fine. :roflmho:

EDIT: I am, of course, making this up, since the planck length is what Feynman would call "very small". Just thought I'd clarify.

Edited by sjs

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

No idea, but I wouldn't let your cat anywhere near it.....

Pelikan 120 : Lamy 2000 : Sheaffer PFM III : Parker DuoFold Jr : Hero 239 : Pilot Vanishing Point : Danitrio Cum Laude : Esterbrook LJ : Waterman's 12 and an unknown lever-filler : Lambert Drop-fill : Conway Stewart 388

MB Racing Green : Diamine Sapphire Blue , Registrar's : J. Herbin violet pensée , café des îles : Noodler's Baystate Blue : Waterman Purple, Florida Blue

• 2 years later...

Hate to resurrect so old a thread, but it seemed better than starting a new one.

I just purchased a small lot of pens on eBay, mostly for a Vacumatic, but in the lot was a Pelikan 120. Once given a rinse and a few fills of water it wrote like a champ. The cool thing about the Pelikan 120 is that it came with a Planck 14k-585 nib, with a lovely italic nib. It writes beautifully with a little flex too.

I wonder if this is the same pen as the OP, or if it is identical?

David

p.s. If it is a different pen, then perhaps Planck was a nib maker sourced by Pelikan or Pelikan owners.

Writing with pen and ink, is an endeavour both stimulating and cathartic.

• 2 weeks later...

You have a rare and wonderful find. Kenny Planck grew up in Iowa and found a job at Sheaffer during the Depression. He later moved to the Naugatuck Valley in Connecticut (of some pen making interest because it was a center of rubber processing and "vulcanite" production at the turn of the century). He established a telephone booth-sized pen shop at York and Chapel Streets in New Haven and specialized in his own proprietary music nibs mounted on Pelikan 120s. He was world famous and during the 60s and 70s he received orders from great conservatories around the world, including Warsaw, Cracow, Leningrad, Prague and other countries still behind the Iron Curtain. He was generous with his pen repair knowledge.

I would stop in the shop on my way home from the medical school 1 block away from his shop to watch him and learn about pens. I was so impressed that someone could do something so well in his tiny little shop that he would eventually be world renowned simply by word of mouth. That lesson always compelled me to strive for similar perfection in the surgery that I perform in my own career.

I still have 2 of his nibs. The Pels are long broken, but one is fit in an old Sheaffer and the other in a Pelikan 600. In addition to being great nibs, they evoke fond, old memories. Enjoy the pen.

You have a rare and wonderful find.

Excellent knowledge and a great story. Thank you.

Edited by 1000km

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Miko, thaks for solving the mystery. This thread should definetly be pinned by a moderator to preserve the answer.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.