Noodler's Apache Sunset

Leslie J.

Sheesh Roy, how did I miss this review?? Thanks for linking me here. I really like the colour. I used to have Herbin Orange Indien, but it was washed out. I'm not sure where I'd want to use this colour, but for some reason it is just very attractive to me. If I had an amber or orange pen, I'd grab some immediately. I don't usually match pens to inks that way, but sometimes I do. ;)

Never lie to your dog.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maja

• Roger

• Viseguy

• FLZapped

Hi Roy,

I think you would like Cayenne too :D . It actually is quite easy on the eye, because it is such a vibrant colour. Here's a sample:

http://fp.vandebilt.net/pics/ItaliStub-01.jpg

Kind regards,

Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• 7 months later...

I just wanted to add my written review to this thread. Wow, what a great ink!!!

Bryan

(let me know if the image is too big, it fits on my screen and I wanted to let you see the shading effects, just lovely!)

http://static.flickr.com/29/54960096_c511dc0751_b.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/21/28891892_80d902777e_t.jpg

Wow! Talk about light and shade! That Apache Sunset really is gorgeous. Has anyone tried it through a fine nib? If anyone has a sample they could post, it would be much appreciated. I'm actually thinking of ditching my redit for a...Sunsedit...(yeah, I know that was weak)

t!

Edited by tntaylor

flippin' like a pancake

poppin' like a cork

If you want to see some amazing shading effects with Apache Sunset, try it with a really flexy nib. I recently sent Roger a snail-mail sample written with a wet-noodle dip nib. If we all ask him real nice-like, maybe he'll post a scan of it. :o

Viseguy

• 4 weeks later...
If you want to see some amazing shading effects with Apache Sunset, try it with a really flexy nib.  I recently sent Roger a snail-mail sample written with a wet-noodle dip nib.  If we all ask him real nice-like, maybe he'll post a scan of it.  :o

I thought that I had trashed Viseguy's snail with Apache Sunset. I usually keep very little social correspondence around after it's read, but for some reason I squirreled this one away in between the pages of Greg Clark's INK SAMPLER.

Viseguy sent several pages; the scan below is the page that illustrates the extreme shading possible with Apache Sunset. Viseguy was playing with his new Cavellini Calligraphy set that his good wife had just given him for his birthday.

Without further ado, here's Viseguy playing...

http://members.cox.net/rbeamon1/viseguy4.jpg

Some ink, eh?

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Ya know, I wonder...is that really shading or just the different hues that result from greater and lesser densities due to different nibs and how loaded they were from the last dip?

I think of shading as the different hues being noticeable on a given character with no more than perhaps a direction change to initiate it. For instance, I see what I call shading in Bryan's stub example of Apache Sunset above.

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Thanks for the scan, Rog! Neat-o, if I do say so myself. :rolleyes:

BTW, if this is typical of your "social correspondence", I really pity you! :P

But seriously... you have a point about "shading". This is more than light/dark variations on the same color. This is at least three different colors coming out of the same pen/same ink. Dunno how Nathan does it, but he does. :)9

Viseguy

I can't see Roger's scan of Viseguys's mail... am I the only one?

I wanna see too! waaahhh...

Edit: I see it now. Must have been this 'puter. :bonk:

Edited by M4R1N4

"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. "

- Socrates

I can't see Roger's scan of Viseguys's mail... am I the only one?

I wanna see too!  waaahhh...

Of course you are the only one :D :D :P

Maybe some firewall blocking something, bad browser settings, or just not been a good girl, lately? ;)

Edit: too late :blush:

Edited by saintsimon

• 9 months later...
:o Wow, the Apache Sunset looks great! :o

It's like 2 or 3 inks in 1!

Thanks for the reviews, gentlemen....

~Maja

P.S. Nice to see you posting, Roy :)

Thanks Maja! You should give Apache Sunset a try.

--Roy

...and ten months later, I finally got a bottle of it! :lol:

As I was telling NoSnow (Roy) back-channel today, I thought the ink looked like tincture of iodine when I first opened the bottle (I am an ex-pharmacist :rolleyes: ) so I was a bit worried that I had purchased a purely yellow ink :o

It turns out I had nothing to worry about as the ink has wonderful colour variation and shading. Roy's and Bryan's scans look almost exactly like how the ink looked when I used it with a broader "wet" nib. I also tried it in a pen with a M nib and the colour variations were visible, but the shading was not as pronounced.

I couldn't find any shops in Vancouver (Canada) that sold Noodler's so I ordered some from Ultra-Collections (www.ultra-collections.com -- no affiliation, just a happy customer ) and it arrived today. I know there are many other good online dealers that sell Noodler's but I think I spared myself the worry of paying duties and/or having the ink returned to the shipper by buying from within Canada ( Denis kindly attempted to send me a free bottle of Diamine Monaco Red about a year ago and it was returned due to labelling issues. He re-sent it to me, but it never arrived. :( )

I have had this ink for a few months and decided to use it to mark papers at this time of year.....Autumn color and all. It's a nice color. Why doesn't Noodler's offer half the amount at half the price?

• 7 months later...

This is really quite a beautiful ink. I had the good fortune of seeing it first hand in an ink sampler sent to me by Phthalo.

I think it would go perfectly with this pen by Haolilai (801F):

http://grantcunningham.com/personal/PICT1049.jpg

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

MYU, it would be a lovely match!

I am still very new at this - are you implying that we get to have an ink for every pen, and a pen for every ink? the possibilities are endless :drool:.

Apache Sunset is an ink that I, too, bought on name alone back when I first discovered Noodlers and went on a feeding frenzy. Such seductive verbiage. The writing samples in this thread show it off well.

Flying by the seat of my pants.

• 2 months later...

re Apache Sunset:

I used it in a fine point point pen that flowed a little reluctantly and was very disappointed with it, because none of the red frosting effect was visible. It just looked like failed invisible ink.

Using it with a wetter, fuller nib: different story!

• 3 months later...

Hauled this thread up out of archives because I'm experiencing an effect I don't see mentioned here. I received a sample from a generous soul and filled one of my luscious, wet B nibs. What I'm finding is a pen that writes very dry after being left overnight with this ink in it. I actually had to open it up and crank down more to get anything like my usual flow. Let me stress this is a pen which has behaved beautifull with both PR and J Herbin inks and stayed luscious with the new Tulipe Noire.

Has anyone else experienced severe dryness with this ink? It's a beautiful color and I get lovely shading off a B nib, but I'm learning to dread the yellow shades as it means my nib is about to run very dry.