Sailor Nano Kiwa-Guro Black - first impressions

JasonKB

I've been using Lamy Blue-Black (iron-gall type) ink in my first pen (Lamy Safari EF) for about three months. I like the ink but but wanted something with a bit more density. I've read the reviews on the "Nano" ink on FPN and wanted to give it a try. It looked like it would meet all of my requirements: water and smudge resistant, little to no bleed-through or feathering.

My First Impressions:

Colour - black - on par with Noodler's Borealis Black and Private Reserve Old Man - I don't have access to Noodler's HOD to compare.

Dry Time - about the same as Lamy Blue-Black - quick enough for my needs (I am not a lefty).

Lubrication - absolutely slicker feeling than the Lamy ink on all papers. Has taken away some of the "scritchyness" of the Lamy EF nib.

Flow - A touch of nib creep compared to the Lamy ink, but doesn't get "skippy" on quick horizontal lines like the Lamy ink.

Feathering and Bleed-through

Moleskine Squared - none

Moleskines Ruled - none

Leuchtturm1917 squared - none (as far as I know this the new ink-proof paper)

Copy paper - some feathering, no bleed-through - this is standard Staples-brand multiuse 20lb paper

In comparison both Noodler's Borealis and Private Reserve Old Man had unusable amounts of bleed-through on the Moleskine Squared journal. To the extent that only one side of the page was usable.

Availability and price:

Paid $CAD30 plus tax for 50ml at Sleuth&Statesman in Toronto at their Bay Street store (not the one on York St.)

My Subjective Assessment:

Very happy with it. Looks nice and uniform - very stark black compared to the Lamy Blue-Black (which is more blue than black). Very smooth to write with on every type of paper I use.

If you like to see the paper through the ink or like the subtle shadings/density caused by variations in pen pressure you won't like this stuff. It is black and opaque. Reminds me of laser printed digital ink I get when using One Note and a Tablet PC - variations in line width but either black or not black - no shades of gray.

Edited by JasonKB

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JasonKB

• Sidney

• GreenVelvet

• LWB

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never heard of Private Reserve Old Man ink. Could you have meant Noodler's Old Manhattan Black?

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." - Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Vice President

I have never heard of Private Reserve Old Man ink. Could you have meant Noodler's Old Manhattan Black?

I can't any reference to Noodler's Old Manhattan on their web site, is this an older ink you are referring to?

I can't find an ink called anything like "Old Man" on the Private Reserve web site (http://www.privatereserveink.com). I'll have to call the store and confirm what ink that was.

The Private Reserve ink must have been the Fast Dry Ultra Black.

We had many inks and pens for dipping on the counter and my notes now appear to be imprecise.

I can't any reference to Noodler's Old Manhattan on their web site, is this an older ink you are referring to?

Noodler's Old Manhattan Black is a Fountain Pen Hospital exclusive.

I have been using this Sailor Nano black for a year now. Absolutely water proof. Great for addressing envelopes and writing cheques. It is very black on most papers. On some papers it can dry a bit grey. I started using this for the water resistance and the fact that now I can use a journal that could not handle fountain pen inks but handles the Nano with no bleed through.

Great review. Thanks.

A Fine Pen, a fine watch and new shoes to "boot"...ahhhh