Visconti Homo Sapeins comparison pictures, weights and measuments.

Bryant

Thanks Rita! Will try tonight, fingers crossed...

I feel like I waited 3 or 4 seconds this last fill so maybe that is how I only got 3 pages out of it.

Here are the complete instructions: How to fill HS pen Step 5 tells to count to 10.

I had the same problem with Casanova, and then with HS, until I read the instructions. Now they work fine. blush.gif

What the acronym they use in IT? RTM or RT*M. biggrin.gif I'm joking Rita!

You mean RTFM? Read the ... manual?

roflmho.gif

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• Chris Chalmers

• Bryant

• tanalasta

The lava does indeed feel great. And there is no doubt in my mind that if you write a lot and have sweaty hands, then there is no better pen then the homo sapiens. Other pens just get slippery/greasy/impossible to control and promote more sweating from your hand, but the homo sapiens stays cool to the touch and wicks away sweat. Cant wait until I get mine running well.

Dude, you are totally right!

Nothing feels more organic to the touch. And I touched a lot of other pens...embarrassed_smile.gif

Thanks, opus.

I was under the impression that it was a double-reservoir power filler but that it simply lacked an ink window. Not so?

I think its a single reservoir, just like in Casanova. It feels the same when I refill.

I have a double one with Opera Master Demo, it acts differently.

But it's just my assumptions.

I finally got around to taking some photos of the Visconti Homo Sapiens (EF) palladium nibbed pen I purchased from Bryant. Been using it at work and gone through about three fills worth of J'Herbin.

I initially reviwed it http://www.fountainp...7entry1511047

Further impressions are that the nib is nice and springy, quite soft but not really that flexible. Also, it really gushes like a firehose (9/10) flow with J'Herbin Perle Noir. Makes it a pleasure to write with but the work paper doesn't quite handle it as well and I do get the occasional bleedthrough. You can also see where the bronze clip has started developing a slight patina and discolouration. You can also see where the end of the section has absorbed a little bit of Perle Noir from my recent refill.

Answers to the posts above: Yes, it's only a power filler (single reservoir) with no ink window. You do run out of ink quicker due to the high flow and wetness of the nib. The only hint it's out of ink is that pen flow decreases slightly and may skip for about a paragraph after which ... it quickly stops working.

I've posted some photos below (sorry, the lighting wasn't optimal today) comparing the Visconti to some of the other pens. The green background is a lovely green faux-suede handmade pen pouch from Ling and the black background is a Visconti Pen Case. I'm sure most of you will recognise the MB 146, Sailor 1911 and Pelikan M600. I couldn't line the HS up with the other pens as it was inked and I didn't want to soak my Visconti leather pen case in Perle Noir understandably smile.gif

Visconti capped:

post-32965-12727722535.jpg

Uncapped:

post-32965-127277263634.jpg

Nib size:

post-32965-127277263977.jpg

Size Comparisons:

post-32965-127277264253.jpg

Edited by tanalasta

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

It's not totally porous. I just clean it with a microfibre cloth (same as I would use on spectacle lenses) or a cotton cloth. Slightly moist if necessary but otherwise just wipe dry as necessary.

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

Great reviews and pictures. I alternate my fountain pens to write notes at school (Porsche Design, Montblanc, Visconti, Esterbrook, Pelikan, Lamy). I spend 45% of my time in an auditorium taking notes during presentations, 50% in a classroom taking notes during discussions. The other 5% of my time is spent looking for where ink has stained my fingers...;)

I find that EF nibs are what I need for notetaking. Because I write fast, having a nib that is bigger usually creates pools of ink instead of readable letters. I find that with my Montblanc 146 F, I can actually get away with writing fast and having readable notes.

I'm waiting for delivery of my HS fountain pen with EF nib. Would you say that you can write relatively fast with your HS EF nib and have readable handwriting? And do you end up looking for where ink has stained your fingers?

Stephan

Live: Run, swim, cycle, spin, hike, read, write, do something!

My fingers are currently sporting Herbin's lavendar-scented blue as I type. :embarrassed_smile: Can't answer the nib questions as I scribble notes with my BB Ripples. I'm afraid I'd rip a hole in the paper with an XF or end up tattooing myself as I have trouble writing with Ms or finer. :embarrassed_smile:

Stephl: I still have some perle noir on my fingers after filling my HS two days ago using a Visconti travel inkpot. I don't usually care nor look for it though. The palladium XF is quite wet and free flowing and has no trouble keeping up with my writing speed (and I write fast). Broader than a typical EF though so as long as you don't write too small, it's quite legible.

As you have a Pelikan, the closest comparison is that it writes about as wide as my binderized (purchased new) M600 EF but wetter. That said, YMMV.

Enjoy your new pen when it arrives!

Edited by tanalasta

I'm afraid I'd rip a hole in the paper with an XF or end up tattooing myself as I have trouble writing with Ms or finer. :embarrassed_smile:

If you use a Namiki/Pilot Vanishing Point, then you need to worry about tattooing yourself. Try "clicking" one of those on the wrong end with the nib out. I did once, almost gave myself a tattoo in Penman Sapphire blue. :D

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

Just received my Visconti HS with EF nib. All I can say is...WOW!!!

Writes awesome, none of the excessive bleeding that I have with my Visconti Opera (which has a M nib and is also not a Palladium nib).

I don't know if it's the Palladium nib, or the nib being EF, or that I'm using Montblanc Black-Blue ink, but...WOW!

I'm totally in love with the pen.

It sits really well in my hand and it writes beautifully.

Only thing is, I dunk it too low into the inkpot, so a portion of the pen (half of the portion you put your writing fingers on) is permanently "stained". But it's ok, I'll live with it.

Steph

Live: Run, swim, cycle, spin, hike, read, write, do something!

I'm afraid I'd rip a hole in the paper with an XF or end up tattooing myself as I have trouble writing with Ms or finer. :embarrassed_smile:

If you use a Namiki/Pilot Vanishing Point, then you need to worry about tattooing yourself. Try "clicking" one of those on the wrong end with the nib out. I did once, almost gave myself a tattoo in Penman Sapphire blue. :D

Yeah, um.... I've done that. :embarrassed_smile: It bled a lot, too. Ow.

I still have a faint Sailor nano-black dot on my right thumb. Of course, I also still have a faint grey spot under the skin of my right palm form when I impaled my hand with a No. 2 pencil... in kindergarten (a LONG time ago). Impressive staying power...

Edited by kushbaby

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

Hey, I have a pencil-impaled tattoo too! Mine's from first grade, courtesy of some other fella in the class. It's on the inside of my left arm, just above the elbow. I forgot about it until now.

On Topic: I am eagerly awaiting my HS (Fine Point) to arrive. Ordered from Bryant based on the almost infinite recommendations, and thus far all have proven to be spot on. Super friendly, and very speedy with responses to any and all questions.

I'm part of the pencil lead brigade as well. Just above my left ankle courtesy of a seriously disturbed 5th grader during an event in the school auditorium. Pencil lead is forever!

I recently received my FP HS from an Ebay dealer who also sells retail at several shops in Maryland. My pen came in a basic Visconti box, but with no DVD or cleaning cloth or anything else directly related to the pen. The instructions were general Visconti FP instructions. Is that normal for this pen?

Thanks.

I recently received my FP HS from an Ebay dealer who also sells retail at several shops in Maryland. My pen came in a basic Visconti box, but with no DVD or cleaning cloth or anything else directly related to the pen. The instructions were general Visconti FP instructions. Is that normal for this pen?

Thanks.

Did you check in the little drawer in the bottom left part of the box?

Bryant has stated they ran out of the dvd's and cloths. I received mine from Bry and didnt receive either.

In order to appreciate the sweet, you must truly taste the bitter....

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Hey, I have a pencil-impaled tattoo too! Mine's from first grade, courtesy of some other fella in the class. It's on the inside of my left arm, just above the elbow. I forgot about it until now.

On Topic: I am eagerly awaiting my HS (Fine Point) to arrive. Ordered from Bryant based on the almost infinite recommendations, and thus far all have proven to be spot on. Super friendly, and very speedy with responses to any and all questions.

NON-topic: Like your avatar, mattjs

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

NON-topic: Like your avatar, mattjs

D.ick

Thanks!

Also, Bryant shipped out my pen yesterday! Counting the days until I get it! I'm tempted to do an unboxing photo gallery...

Just received my Visconti HS with EF nib. All I can say is...WOW!!!

Writes awesome, none of the excessive bleeding that I have with my Visconti Opera (which has a M nib and is also not a Palladium nib).

I don't know if it's the Palladium nib, or the nib being EF, or that I'm using Montblanc Black-Blue ink, but...WOW!

I'm totally in love with the pen.

It sits really well in my hand and it writes beautifully.

Only thing is, I dunk it too low into the inkpot, so a portion of the pen (half of the portion you put your writing fingers on) is permanently "stained". But it's ok, I'll live with it.

Steph

Weird. What ink were you using? Did you wipe it off real well after filling and just couldnt get it all off? I use a damp paper towel and really wipe down the section that gets ink on it and haven't had a problem, but since the material is hygroscopic I can definitely see this happening if you use a permanent ink and dont wipe it off well/at all.

'The brave may not live forever, but the cautious never live at all.'