I've GOT one for the collectors here

FarmBoy

As many of you know I rarely sell A Pen and when I do it is because I have multiple copies or have run out of storage briefly. This isn't important for this thread. Today I have a few pens that I have been asked to sell for a Retiring collector that has asked to remain anonymous. (Yes I have already purchased all the pens that I didn't already have.) There is one Esterbrook of particular interest that is being offered for sale. I know what you are saying, this Isn't the for sale forum (so a mod can move it if needed) but only a true Esterbrook fan can appreciate this pen and offering it here seems only fair.

This pen is a Type I Transitional J identified by the toaster top jewel and plain clip. (Toaster top is also known as a three rib jewel.) What makes this pen interesting is it is the Less common medium black color and it has the pronounced streaker pattern favored by many collectors. I've only seen a Few (perhaps three) like it. It is agreed that this is most likely the least common combination--streaker AND medium black in the early J series when speaking about black pens. As we all know, Esterbrook collapsed the black color shades to "Obsidian black" shortly after the the J got the second jewel. The light black is much more common and we all have the dark or rich black that pop up On e-bay daily. Toss into the mix that this is a Streaker and wow, what a pen.

This beauty has a new sac and was cleaned but not polished since I don't do polishing unless specifically asked. I don't see anything wrong with the pen and I'd own it but I've got one like it (and I bought to much Last month). The owner is asking 45 for the pen. Even without the proper nib, this is a Steal.

Todd

post-3036-12701273389.jpg

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• adt475

• Rabbit

• PaFitch

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd have to check (don't have my reference materials here at work), but the medium black was offered as early as the 1943 catalog, then disappears until a brief stint in some 1947 advertising. The late fall 1947 catalog is the first reference to obsidian black I've seen, so I would place this somewhere between 1943-1944 based on the early clip and jewel combination. Probably closer to the latter with that imprint. I've yet to see a 1947 version of this pen.

Congrats on your find!

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

Todd, in your opinion, how does this one grade out on the Streakerness Scale? I would guess it would have to

be At Least a 6.5 to get a REAL Estie C-Worder salavating.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Well, I'm not familiar with this, but I trust your knowledge more than mine. I'm on a quest for hard to find Esterbrooks, so I'm very interested. If it's as hard to find as you say, I'll buy it if no one else has clained it yet.

--Stephen

Edited by Rabbit

This isn't an April Fool's joke is it?? If so, I think I fell for it! I can't seem to find any information about this, and to make things worse, the screens on my computers here at work are horrible for viewing images online--I can't even see the pen really. wacko.gif

--Stephen

Edited by Rabbit

I've always wondered if this pen was a failed Estie J-cicle prototype attempt and the 'cicle stripes just spread out too much and took on the Famous Streaker patterning.

I think the one like this Brian has has the Streaker lines closer together like a J-cicle should have been. :thumbup:

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I would have to go dig into my Great Big Cardboard Box 'O Pens, but I'm certain I have one of these that is stamped "MADE in ENGLAND"

Alan

Edited by adt475

Farmboy posted about the dating system Esterbrook used (the imprint moved around the pen in relation to the lever--as I recall). Just now occurred to me--was that an 1 Apr post too?

I've always wondered if this pen was a failed Estie J-cicle prototype attempt and the 'cicle stripes just spread out too much and took on the Famous Streaker patterning.

I think the one like this Brian has has the Streaker lines closer together like a J-cicle should have been. :thumbup:

Bruce in Ocala, FL

But if Brian is right about his 40's dating, doesn't that eliminate the icicle, which came later?

Edited by PaFitch

Farmboy posted about the dating system Esterbrook used (the imprint moved around the pen in relation to the lever--as I recall). Just now occurred to me--was that an 1 Apr post too?

I'm not clear on how the timing of various posts is involved here but I did get in a lot of trouble with the Esterbrooks (you figure out who they are) for disclosing the dating system. It was apparently a well kept secret. In my defense no one told me it was a secret.

If it matters this pen would date from the week of June 11 give or take a few days.

Bruce just told me the streakyness doesn't show up well in my picture. Shutter-bug I'm not. But Bruce is correct, in person this pen zings.

T

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

As many of you know I rarely sell A Pen and when I do it is because I have multiple copies or have run out of storage briefly. This isn't important for this thread. Today I have a few pens that I have been asked to sell for a Retiring collector that has asked to remain anonymous. (Yes I have already purchased all the pens that I didn't already have.) There is one Esterbrook of particular interest that is being offered for sale. I know what you are saying, this Isn't the for sale forum (so a mod can move it if needed) but only a true Esterbrook fan can appreciate this pen and offering it here seems only fair.

This pen is a Type I Transitional J identified by the toaster top jewel and plain clip. (Toaster top is also known as a three rib jewel.) What makes this pen interesting is it is the Less common medium black color and it has the pronounced streaker pattern favored by many collectors. I've only seen a Few (perhaps three) like it. It is agreed that this is most likely the least common combination--streaker AND medium black in the early J series when speaking about black pens. As we all know, Esterbrook collapsed the black color shades to "Obsidian black" shortly after the the J got the second jewel. The light black is much more common and we all have the dark or rich black that pop up On e-bay daily. Toss into the mix that this is a Streaker and wow, what a pen.

This beauty has a new sac and was cleaned but not polished since I don't do polishing unless specifically asked. I don't see anything wrong with the pen and I'd own it but I've got one like it (and I bought to much Last month). The owner is asking 45 for the pen. Even without the proper nib, this is a Steal.

Todd

OH MY. It was just brought to my attention that my account (and Brian's) were compromised and someone was trying to sell pens in our name. OH MY. Imagine both of us used Esterbrook as our password!

Todd

You too? Man, I thought with the capital "E" I was safe. lticaptd.gif

Cheers!

Brian

Brian,

If your change the E to a 3 and the o's to 0 (zero)'s, you should be safe. roflmho.gif

Cheers!

Brian

Brian,

If your change the E to a 3 and the o's to 0 (zero)'s, you should be safe. roflmho.gif

There goes another one.

Cheers!

Brian

Brian,

There goes another one.

Oops. Sorry about that Todd.

I thought you were using the other one.