7 replies to this topic

#1 vela

vela

Sinistral

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 23:45

Neither of my JINHAOS, nor my GuiGuan like me. Are there any other nibs that will fit these pens? (because I love the pens, I just don't like how they -don't- write).
...For desire is the cruelest pain. -Jill Tracy
Function determines structure. -Dr Glenn Doman
"Left-handers of the world, unite!" -Janus Zarate: League of Left-Handers, brassgoggles.co.uk

Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 SimonJamesLucas

SimonJamesLucas

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2010 - 00:04

I´m not the worlds number one lover of Chinese pens at the moment, not least because my Hero 616´s keep breaking but do tell me what model Jinhao you are using. I´ve got an X750 which I´m finding to be a very good, smooth pen. I like it even though I don´t really like painted metal barrels as a rule.

#3 jar

jar

A Vintage Pen has to be older than me.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,082 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2010 - 00:18

Just buy a dozen or so of each. It's likely at least one will work, at least for awhile.

How pierceful grows the hazy yon! How myrtle petaled thou! For spring hath sprung the cyclotron - How high browse thou, brown cow? -- Churchy LaFemme, 1950

Anyone so limited that they can only spell a word one way suffers a severe handicap. -- jar

The last pen I bought will be the next to last pen I ever buy! --jar

#4 ZeissIkon

ZeissIkon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 00:20

Neither of my JINHAOS, nor my GuiGuan like me. Are there any other nibs that will fit these pens? (because I love the pens, I just don't like how they -don't- write).

There's nothing odd or unusual about a GuiGuan nib (at least not the two I have, other than having immense balls of tipping); any nib of similar dimensions that was original on the same diameter feed should work fine. Further, my GuiGuan nibs and feeds easily came out of the section, using only my fingers -- which greatly simplified regrinding one and adjusting the other.
Does not always write loving messages.
Does not always foot up columns correctly.
Does not always sign big checks.

#5 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,017 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2010 - 00:20

I like the X450, although it has trouble posting, and , in general, a Chinese pen will dry out if you don't use it for maybe two days. Still, the 450 is kind of fun, and the nib is smooth.

If you really like the pens, you could always send them to a nib-master for a minor tune-up. None of your pens can be old enough to need major reconstructive magic, not the sort of thing John Mottishaw and Richard Binder do. Find a nib-master with quicker turn-around and see if the pens improve.

(By the way, I like the Picasso Gentleman's Pen, in black or red. Good writer, solid pen, right size. AND the company puts each pen in a superb box with a booklet matching each of their pens to one of Picasso's paintings. You will need to read Chinese to understand the explanatin, but it's a great looking idea.)
Don't take any job that requires new clothes.

#6 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 00:42

Have you tried gently flossing the pen with a thin piece of metal foil, and then repeatedly (maybe a dozen times each) flushing each pen with mild soap solution or ammonia solution, and then repeatedly rinsing each with clear water? Both of these brands are pretty respected, and should write well. But pretty much all Chinese pens need flushing, and many need flushing, before they will write properly.
ron

#7 RCC

RCC

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:21

Contact sellers and see if any of them will sell you individual nibs. You may be able to get them pretty cheap. If you do remove the Jinhao nib, be careful. they are thin and bend more easily than, say, a waterman nib.

#8 vela

vela

Sinistral

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 23:07

Thank you, all.
Yes, I have noticed that my Chinese pens do not flow as easily as some of my other pens.

I don't remember the specific model of either my JinHao or my GuiGuan, but I am looking for a calligraphy style nib that will fit.

I shall continue my search. Wish me luck.
...For desire is the cruelest pain. -Jill Tracy
Function determines structure. -Dr Glenn Doman
"Left-handers of the world, unite!" -Janus Zarate: League of Left-Handers, brassgoggles.co.uk

Posted ImagePosted Image