Noodler's Lexington Gray

ladyambrosia

Also Reviewed at The Ink Rack.

Another Noodler’s and one that I honestly never thought I would have. The idea of a gray ink just never hit me, but a friend asked me to review this ink for them so here I am. The ink lays down a very nice very wet line and has some subtle but pretty shading. It is hard to see in the scan but I promise its there, subtle like a wisp of grey mist. There is some very slight feathering but you cannot notice it without looking very close, no bleed through and some slight shadowing on the other side of the paper.

In this review, I did forget to write a dry version of the Lexington Gray as I have in all of my other reviews. however because it lays down such a nice wet line I am going to assume that aside from the shading being muted out (as it often is in a finer nib for all inks) that it will look very similar. The ink is supposed to be modeled after the Lexington, which it does well, but the other thing I think of when I look at this ink is Confederate Gray’s so bring on the civil war historical thoughts.

The ink has a nice dry time and does not take as long as some of the other Noodler’s Inks and the water did not have any affect on it at all which since it is listed, as a bulletproof ink is what I would expect.

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz47/AmbrosiaCreations/InkScans/scan0010.jpg

Ambrosia's Ink Rack Ink Reviews & More

Coming Soon Noteably yours Evansville area stationer.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ladyambrosia

• bwnewton

• cerberusdog

• esterbex

Nice review. I'll pass your info on to a friend who has been looking for a nice grey ink.

"I'm not superstitious -- I'm just a little stitious." Michael G. Scott

Happy to help. My scan shows a bit more feathering than you can see with the naked eye but it is still a nice gray.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.pnghttp://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

This is not my first experience with Noodler's ink. It is wonderful. The Eel inks improved the flow of pens I'd been having difficulty with. The waterproof(bulletproof) inks are exactly that, and will not run or smear if spilled on. Colors are true. I love them.

Nice review, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

While it DOES seem to match the War of Northern Aggression-era Confederate gray, I tend to think of it more like a standard battleship gray. I love this ink and have a Pilot Knight dedicated to it. Wonderful flow, no feathering, no bleedthrough, bulletproof AND there is shading on the M nib I use. AWESOME!

Nice review!

While it DOES seem to match the War of Northern Aggression-era Confederate gray, I tend to think of it more like a standard battleship gray. I love this ink and have a Pilot Knight dedicated to it. Wonderful flow, no feathering, no bleedthrough, bulletproof AND there is shading on the M nib I use. AWESOME!

Nice review!

I suspect that quality and color control were somewhat erratic in Civil War/WoYA era dyeing processes. I'll bet they got some nice shading.

Lexington Gray is one of my favorite inks, and I can't think of a good reason for it; I just like to use it. Maybe its popularity will encourage Nathan to come out with a Baystate Gray.

Edited by Possum Hill

I just got a Lexington Gray sample from Pear Tree.

The Lamy Black had begun to look harsh and sort of, I don't know, painful when I wrote with it. The gray is a perfect substitute: dark enough to be readable, light enough to be easy on the eyes. A great find!

—Jill

Let there be light. Then let there be a cat, a cocktail, and a good book.

Nice review!

Oh I know nothing in the confederacy was matched. I re-eenact and even though I was born a yank I am always on the Souths side when I go to war ;). But it does match MY uniform so it's good enough for me. Maybe my history mind is just easy to please ;)

Ironic, I had just ordered a sample bottle from Peartree, what a great service, and just put it in my at work pen. It is a Monte Verde Invincia. I used it tonight at work and I now have a new 'favorite' color. It is really distinctive and stands out. The flow is great and the drying time is good. I do believe that it is bulletproof, but I could be mistaken.

Thanks for your review. It only reinforces my attraction to this color.

Rick

Nice review!

Oh I know nothing in the confederacy was matched. I re-eenact and even though I was born a yank I am always on the Souths side when I go to war ;). But it does match MY uniform so it's good enough for me. Maybe my history mind is just easy to please ;)

What's with all of the Yankee bashing? Maybe Nathan needs to come out with a Bulletproof Union Blue to remind the South which way history went....:bunny01:

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

Nice review!

What's with all of the Yankee bashing? Maybe Nathan needs to come out with a Bulletproof Union Blue to remind the South which way history went....:bunny01:

Who's bashing? Not me...remember I said I was borna Yank lol..I just like to be on the other side for re-enactment fun and I married a southerner...lol

Nice review. I like this ink a lot, especially for sketching, as I can use watercolours over it and it stays put.

But, I'd buy another bottle. I really like the "liquid pencil" look!

Good description! It does remind me of a wet pencil line. B)

Sarah

Nice review!

c'on guys, in some countries ya'll Yankees.

back to the topic... lexington grey is one i must get!!!

One of my fellow history pals appreciated the tougne in cheek of my last letter. The topic was the War of Northern Agression (we have an ongoing debate) and I wrote it in Lexington Gray.. Made her laugh but she said she also has to now get a bottle of this ink. ;)

I love this ink. I didn't think I would, assuming "grey" meant "washed-out black." I ordered a sample from Pear Tree (no affiliation), and fell absolutely in love. Not sure what about it I love, but the color is most definitely grey, not just washed-out black...someone above me mentioned "liquid pencil." That's pretty accurate. A bottle of this is in my future.

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png