pkoko

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2010 - 16:29

Hero 7005

I bought this pen from ebay from inevergiveup2008 for around $6 USD. I knew not to expect much as this pen is fairly cheap and looked a lot better than its price. I figured if it wrote awfully; It will still look good on any desk. The Pen came packed in fairly generic gift box (not the one pictured). It looked really nice from the outside. The fit and finish are average and the lacquer finish is too thin as shown by the smudge/scratch mark by the cap posting. The Clip is also fairly weak and will probably break in the future. When the cap is posted; it can also easily fall. It feels like a fairly small thin pen more like a metal mechanical pencil. It is very well balanced as well and light. The pen also came with piston converter which holds reasonable amount of ink.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

It wrote fairly well for its price out of the box. After couple of flushes with water; It wrote even better. It writes very extremely well for a <$10 USD pen. I haven’t had any flow or skipping problems with it. What I also like about it is that it is so easy to use for new FP users. The nib is fairly hard and small that most users assume it to be a rather nice rollerball/gel pen.
Posted Image

Overall I give this pen a B b/c of durability issues/concerns but at this price point they are semi-disposable.

Jinhao 602

I bought this pen from ebay from thejumbodepot for around 7 USD, What interested me in this pen was the exterior looks and of course the cheap price. I really like the exterior finish style as it looks modern yet classic at the same time(Looks are opinions!) The pen came in the pictured gift box. The fit and finish is very good for any pen under $30. The only negative is that clip is just as weak as the Hero 7005. The finish has so far withstood the use of 10 days and looks just as good as new. I also used this pen more often than the hero b/c of ink color at work (blue/black only), The cap also clips more securely when posted and magnetically clicks when closed which is very nice touch at such cheap pen. The pen feels exactly the same as the Hero except it is a little heavier and not as well balanced. The pen came with a screw converter that holds reasonable amount of ink.
Posted Image
Posted Image

After routine pre-fill wash; the pen wrote at first try. Its writing is fairly good at its price range. My only concern is that the nib is almost too fine and thus a little too scratchy. It has no flow problems and the nib is hard so it is also a good pen for beginners. If this pen was available in a medium nib; I would gladly recommend this pen any new FP user.
Posted Image

Overall I give this pen a B+ b/c the nib is a little too dry and too scratchy. It is definitely better built pen than the Hero. A great starter pen.

Lastly I would like to add although these 2 pens are supposedly built by 2 different manufactures; they look like to have been built in the same factory for the same supplier for Hero and Jinhao. That is why I reviewed both of them together.

Check out my new site:
writinginstrumentreviews.com

Posted Image

#2 Ed Ronax

Ed Ronax

Support a pen addict - donate now.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2010 - 16:58

Nice review, not bad for the price, thanks.
And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

#3 watch_art

watch_art

Pen Making Madness

• Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,281 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2010 - 16:59

Lastly I would like to add although these 2 pens are supposedly built by 2 different manufactures; they look like to have been built in the same factory for the same supplier for Hero and Jinhao. That is why I reviewed both of them together.

that was my first impression too. that they look like the same thing w/ different finish. shame the jinhao is so scratchy or it'd make a fine pen. maybe you could work the nib a bit to smooth things up?

fpn_1405136194__fpn_1404594699__sg_tag.j sigpic14481_1.gif vanness.jpg?t=1321916122

#4 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,482 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 22:56

pens look identical except for the clip :hmm1: (well, and the obvious color, texture difference). i like the finish of the jinhao better. thanx for the review!

Edited by lovemy51, 30 March 2010 - 22:58.

Lovemy51 Posted Image

pleese, forgeeve my bad espelling!! Posted Image

#5 Juicyjones

Juicyjones

Reissued for 2013

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:21

Thanks for that good review. I was wondering about these pens just the other day.
"If we faked going to the Moon, why did we fake it nine times?" -- Apollo 16 astronaut Charlie Duke

Posted Image