Private Reserve American Blue

Fountainbass

Yes, another review for PR American Blue! But I think this ink is worthy of as many reviews as possible. I tried to match the color of the ink on the scan to the actual color, and I think I matched it pretty decently, although the actual color is a bit more vivid than what appears here. So here we go!

http://www.billgrass.com/americanblue-1.jpg

http://www.billgrass.com/americanblue-2.jpg

Translation:

Review date: March 23, 2010

Pen: Parker Duofold Senior, ~1926 (fine nib)

Ink: Private Reserve American Blue

Paper: Clairefontaine

After I fell in love with Private Reserve Midnight Blues ink, I decided that I wanted to try a true blue ink rather than a blue/black ink. I did a lot of research on blue inks, and I decided to try Private Reserve American Blue. I'm glad I did!

This ink is a beautiful true blue color. I don't see any hints of purple, green, or any other colors. This ink dries relatively quickly for me (I'd say in about 5 seconds or less with a fine-nibbed pen). I know it's not a waterproof ink, but that doesn't matter to me. On this Clairefontaine paper, there's absolutely no feathering or bleedthrough. On regular 20-lb copy paper, there is a bit of feathering. This ink seems to stay the same color once it dries, and there's a touch of shading, especially in pens with wider nibs.

I also like the fact that this ink is very well behaved. In all of the pens I've used this ink in, I've never experienced drying, clogging, or any other problems.

In conclusion, this ink is another winner as far as I'm concerned! I still use my other inks occasionally, but Private Reserve American Blue is my current favorite. It's definitely an ink worthy of buying several bottles.

Pen comparison:

- Parker Duofold Senior, ~1926 (fine nib)

- Parker Duofold Junior, ~1930 (fine nib)

- Parker 51 Vacumatic, 1942 (medium/broad nib)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fountainbass

• mateo44

• Blackforest

• mollzo

A very personal and detailed review - Thanks!!

- I'm going to get this one if my Diamine Majestic Blue is not a true keeper!

Morten

Nice review, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

OK, I've spent this afternoon using this ink, and the more I use it the more I like it. It's hard for me to find something -- anything at all -- wrong with it. It is a fabulous color that leaps off the page while still retaining its dignity and professionalism. It dries plenty fast with little to no feathering. And, it seems to be very robust across a wide variety of paper quality. This is an all-around great ink! :thumbup:

Thanks for the excellent review!

This was my first bottle of blue ink. It is a very patriotic and stately color in my opinion. It behaves very well on CF and Rhodia paper in my experience. However, I wish it did not bleed-through on lesser quality paper. I keep it around and use it from time to time on good paper around Independence Day and for some letters. It's a good ink and a great shade of blue but I prefer less saturated inks. I am a bit partial to it because it's a Hoosier ink!

Thanks for that review. I am also a big big PR Midnight Blues fan and this true blue looks great.

"If we faked going to the Moon, why did we fake it nine times?" -- Apollo 16 astronaut Charlie Duke

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4447835438_d7314170bf_o.png

Veeeery nice review; thanks

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

Tnx for the great review - this to me is one of my favorite blues. Well behaved and just the right saturation,and does not take forever to dry.

I've been wanting to try both the midnight and the american blues.....now you have convinced me to do so. Nice review.

A Fine Pen, a fine watch and new shoes to "boot"...ahhhh

Thanks for the review. I love that one and DC Supershow Blue.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

That image looks close to my experience of the color. I love the color. This ink does not resist water at all, which is good news to some people and bad news to others. It isn't for two-sided writing on unpredictable paper, so I haven't adopted it.

Nice review of a very good color. Your scan is pretty close - good job on getting the color to match.

It is surprising how different the color looks from your "51" compared to the other pens. Probably due to the size of the nib, but still surprising.

I like this ink very much, however it does dry very slow and being a lefty I have to be very careful in using it!

PMS

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -Thomas Jefferson

Great ink. As good a blue as Visconti, imo.

i was just gonna ask this very thing. you answered it!!! thanx!

nice review, fountainbass!!

This is one of the most beautiful blue inks in the world for fountain pens. Some inks are waterproof. Students should know that this one, unlike most blue fountain pen inks, cannot be chemically eradicated/erased by eradicators like the Pelikan Super-Pirat. The color is great, the flow is perfect in vintage pens, and SAFE for them.