De Atramentis Black Roses

jschwab

Another new ink for our review index. This is De Atramentis Black Roses scented ink.

This is not your fathers black ink. It is not waterproof, it is not overly dark. It is however a very nice change from most of the less than pitch or glossy black inks out there. Not only does Black Roses have a very potent, nearly intoxicating, rose scent; It is also a nicely shaded ink from a near silvery grey through the graphite black on to an almost black teal color. The shading range seems to vary with the paper. The blackish teal shift is less noticable on better quality papers.

This review is in 2 parts. The first part uses one of the FPN Provided review forms. Part 2 is a mini review done on Rhodia paper

Now then...On to the scans!

http://www.dslnorthwest.net/~jschwab/images/DABlackRoses.jpg

http://www.dslnorthwest.net/~jschwab/images/DABlackRosesRT.jpg

Thanks for looking.

John

Edited by jschwab

John Schwab

http://www.dslnorthwest.net/~jschwab/images/letterex.pnghttp://www.dslnorthwest.net/~jschwab/images/cardex.png

Pens for sale at my Website.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jschwab

• smudgy

• Nibson

• Fabienne

Thank you for this fantastic review. I've been very curious since I first saw the name of the ink, and is great to have it reviewed. After reading your impressions, it will go to the "wanted" list of inks.

Nice review, thank.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

Oh... rose scented ink that isn't red and I can use daily.

I'm interested in this! How long does the scent last on paper and is it easy to wash out the scent from the pen / nib afterwards?

Not familiar with D'Artramentis inks so would also like to know how safe they are in fountain pens.

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

Oh... rose scented ink that isn't red and I can use daily.

I'm interested in this! How long does the scent last on paper and is it easy to wash out the scent from the pen / nib afterwards?

Not familiar with D'Artramentis inks so would also like to know how safe they are in fountain pens.

The scent doesn't last long, at least it was gone except for the barest hint several hours later. As the pen is still in use I can not say as to lingering after flushing it out.

I have been using several De Atramentis inks in my pens for several months now and haven't had any trouble with them at all. While there were a couple that wore on me and that were traded away, for the most part they are all lovely. I have had the siver grey (Silbergrau) inked up continuously since I first reviewed it and have not had the slightest issue, and this in a vintage Soennecken Piston filler.

John

John Schwab

http://www.dslnorthwest.net/~jschwab/images/letterex.pnghttp://www.dslnorthwest.net/~jschwab/images/cardex.png

Pens for sale at my Website.

Great review!!

I think it adds a whole new dimension that you use the ink on more than on type of paper!! Very thorough!!! :thumbup:

Morten

Thanks for the nice review!

A. I love the smell of roses, even if that's gone quickly.

B. I love that colour, not "just another" black, but a "new" black, a black with a bit of pizzazz.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thanks for the review! Seems to have interesting shading characteristics with the teal shifts.

Vanessa

• 1 year later...

A fine review thank you. I like inks that are atmospheric and I have found this one a real pleasure to work with.

Neat review. Again, I am thinking that scented inks are for the writer not for the receiver. Like this idea though.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

Franz-Josef Jansen has been making hand made inks since 1988...has 57 colors and 300 inks.

Every time I go to my B&M there are more of his inks there. 8 of my 30 inks are DA.

He has a lot of scented inks.

Living in Germany I buy his inks instead of Noodlers.

There are some Noodlers I want.

Like Noodler, he don't make cartridges.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.