Cracking in Lamy 2000

Daosus

So, my Lamy 2000 cracked at the section, about 3mm towards the nib from the joint with the barrel. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem. I just send it off to Lamy USA, and they'd replace it for a nominal fee. The problem is that I already did this, and the section cracked in the same place. I might think I treat my pens rough, but:

1. None of the other pens I carry broke, and they should be downright fragile (I carry an Estie Dollar Pen also)

2. I bought a pen case to prevent breakage after the first time.

Can anyone explain this consistent breakage? So far, I'm suspecting the barrel threads being too big (the barrel was not replaced), the cap somehow being on too tight, or temperature variations from taking the pen inside and outside. None of these seem like they should be a big deal to a pen as reputably tough as the Lamy 2000. So, I'm asking if this could be something I've done? Also, I'd like your opinions on whether it's worth it to have the pen fixed again, or to consider it a loss, lest it break again.

Thanks,

Daosus

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daosus

• Teuton

• ralfstc

• tanalasta

Hi,

This happened to me, leaving me terribly conflicted about Lamy 2Ks. I LOVE the design, but getting the nib right takes a while and I have had one crack. Lamy replaced the section, but I'm one of those people that after a pen has gone wrong, finds it hard to trust it with 1.5 ml (or so!) of high damaging fluid. It's a very sad state of affairs.

I don't think it's anything to do with the cap, first off. I think the most likely explanation is that the piston section of the barrel and the next part down are screwed together too tightly (a miniscule variation in thread size would increase pressure here but is unlikely with contemporary manufacturing). The irritating thing is that when mine cracked it had just come back from repair and was leaking at that joint. I tightened it up and boom, a crack (well, a couple of weeks later). I suppose there could also be a problem with the o-ring sizing come to think of it.

I think it's worth getting fixed again. It's cheap to repair and when they work, they are awesome!

Just my 2c.

Ralf

The makrolon construction of the 2000 is VERY tough--I know, I own one.

I read your previous thread, and I have seen this issue before.

When you take the pen apart, and put it back together, are you sure that the little metal o-ring is perfectly aligned in the recess? Because if it isn't in the slightest, it will crack the poly material.

If this is not the issue, than you simply received a dud--unfortunate, but it happens.

The 2000 is one of my favorite pens, but of course I am sentimental of its W. German roots, and Bauhaus inspired design--it is a fantastic writer to boot.

I would send it back, and have them send you a new pen. If the same thing happens to your new one, then it is most definitely user error.

Edited by Teuton

• 2 weeks later...

I am quite careful to make sure the metal cap spring is aligned in its housing. I suspect it's the barrel threads being too large. But, I've emailed LamyUSA and will see what their response is. They may choose not to repair the pen, which, while unfortunate, would not be unexpected.

If you bought the pen new, email Lamy headquarters and explain your predicament.

Their customer service is among the better of the German brands and they may very well request you to send the pen in and return you with a spanking new one under warranty. If Lamy USA give you grief, I'd suggest emailing their German quarters (can't remember the email but it was on their website).

I've had good experiences every time I've contacted them. They do take a few days at least to respond though.

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, 16 days after I sent it out, got the pen back. New barrel. No extra charge. Holy cow. Oh, and they put on my nib, so it writes like a dream, still :D I was seriously not expecting this level of service.

Well, 16 days after I sent it out, got the pen back. New barrel. No extra charge. Holy cow. Oh, and they put on my nib, so it writes like a dream, still :D I was seriously not expecting this level of service.

Excellent Customer Service is one of the points that keeps attracting me to Lamy.

I would be hard pressed to name a pen manufacturer that equals Lamy in this respect.

B.

I have four Lamy 2000s from an early plain gold nib medium to a late type with more metal in nib shroud EF.

One (an F) has suffered troubles;

Initially when new (I bought it new) it was great, but soon began to leak around the barrel - probably the makrolon/metal joint. I sent it to Lamy in Germany and it was quickly returned fully repaired.

About a year later I noticed a crack had appeared around the barrel. Since it lives in a case with a matching pencil and ball point, I don't think external damage was involved and I had never had it apart.

Back to Lamy Germany - and its now back with me - with the new type barrel with the larger metal section (around nib)

Both repairs free and pretty fast, so pleased with customer service.

I have several Lamy pens including the great value Safari, the elegant Persona in 'Titanium finish' and a Dialog 3 which is ingenious, but unreliable at sealing the cap, so dries out.

Lifelong daily fountain pen user