Sailor Ink Bar + Bad Belted Kingfisher

bluemagister

I hope to get pics up of the results very, very soon, but I am excited to report that the Sailor Ink Bar (at Jetpens) has an EXCELLENT nib with a round tip that writes very smoothly and the fiber cartridge inside is full of water soluble ink. I popped the back plug off with a delicate hand and pliers and rinsed the cart to a clean white. I then dipped into a bottle of Bad Belted Kingfisher and gently pinch rolled the cart until the ink was distributed all over. I replaced the cart and stored the pen nib down to let the fiber wick ink to the feed. What resulted is a WONDERFUL light blue, crisp, waterproof line in a very light pen. I'd say that the fiber cartridge holds a good 1cc or more of ink!

I am working on getting a photo of BBK native and diluted in the fiber cart in my Sailor Ink Bar. This light and comfy pen is now my daily carry pen in my bookbag! Since Noodler's inks are so heavily saturated, diluting them in a damp fiber cartridge can give a wonderful lightness and extra shading.

Sailor Ink Bars get the "MUST HAVE" from me! My next experiment is to order more and try them out with other Noodler's inks. Anybody else try this out?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• churl

• Tumbleweedtoo

• bluemagister

I hope to get pics up of the results very, very soon, but I am excited to report that the Sailor Ink Bar (at Jetpens) has an EXCELLENT nib with a round tip that writes very smoothly and the fiber cartridge inside is full of water soluble ink. I popped the back plug off with a delicate hand and pliers and rinsed the cart to a clean white. I then dipped into a bottle of Bad Belted Kingfisher and gently pinch rolled the cart until the ink was distributed all over. I replaced the cart and stored the pen nib down to let the fiber wick ink to the feed. What resulted is a WONDERFUL light blue, crisp, waterproof line in a very light pen. I'd say that the fiber cartridge holds a good 1cc or more of ink!

I am working on getting a photo of BBK native and diluted in the fiber cart in my Sailor Ink Bar. This light and comfy pen is now my daily carry pen in my bookbag! Since Noodler's inks are so heavily saturated, diluting them in a damp fiber cartridge can give a wonderful lightness and extra shading.

Sailor Ink Bars get the "MUST HAVE" from me! My next experiment is to order more and try them out with other Noodler's inks. Anybody else try this out?

I haven't yet refilled an Ink Bar, but I've bought 5 or 6, and use them as my primary giveaway pen. These pens have a magnificent nib and are super cheap. I am curious if the fiber cartridge is needed, or if the pen body can be filled with ink like a big eyedropper...

I recall that there were a few threads discussing refilling an Ink Bar a while back, but sounds like you've had great results!

I haven't yet refilled an Ink Bar, but I've bought 5 or 6, and use them as my primary giveaway pen. These pens have a magnificent nib and are super cheap. I am curious if the fiber cartridge is needed, or if the pen body can be filled with ink like a big eyedropper...

I recall that there were a few threads discussing refilling an Ink Bar a while back, but sounds like you've had great results!

Just pull the back plug out with a pair of pliers and tap the cartridge out. You can rinse it clean under running water, then squeeze out as much water as you can. Letting it dry out overnight might help intensify the ink color. Just dip both sides in ink and gently pinch roll the tube to get the ink to spread. Insert it, plug it and wait for awhile so the ink flows. It's so simple! I should have done this months ago...

You reminded me of the link below where you can easily take off the front of the pen and refill it. Picture included in the post below:

Refilling an Ink Bar

I just tried the information in the above link because my Ink Bar was beginning to skip. I just refilled it using a syringe and blue Pelikan ink without bothering to clean out the older Sailor blue ink. It writes like a new pen. :-) I think your method would be good to use for changing colors, though I think taking off the nib unit sounds easier to get to the insides of the pen.

Again, thanks for the reminder!

All the best,

T

You reminded me of the link below where you can easily take off the front of the pen and refill it. Picture included in the post below:

Refilling an Ink Bar

I just tried the information in the above link because my Ink Bar was beginning to skip. I just refilled it using a syringe and blue Pelikan ink without bothering to clean out the older Sailor blue ink. It writes like a new pen. :-) I think your method would be good to use for changing colors, though I think taking off the nib unit sounds easier to get to the insides of the pen.

Again, thanks for the reminder!

All the best,

T

After looking at that picture, I pulled the nib unit off my pen with no problem! This is fantastic! I was going to wait until it dried out, but I'm going to flush and reload at least 2 or 3 Ink Bars tonight!

The Ink Bar that I refilled with the blue Pelikan ink is still writing exceptionally well, so I suppose my other two Ink Bar pens will just have to wait their turn a little longer in my desk drawer. Glad the picture worked out well for you too, pretty simple to refill, which makes an inexpensive pen even more cost effective and fun!

All the best,

T

As an update, I reloaded my Ink Bar with Diamine blue black. Turns out that fiber cartridge is essential, as fluid will pour out of the pen otherwise. Also, flushing the fiber cartridge is harder than it sounds! Still, once I flushed it and replaced it, the pen was easily filled eyedropper style, and I was able to get 1.5 mL in safely. More than that, and I had leaking.

I suspect that if I reloaded the cartridge outside the pen, it'd hold more, but taking the nib/feed/section off was so much easier, I'll live with it.

And FYI, Diamine ink and the Ink Bar nib go together like jam and toast.