#31 Tom Aquinas

Tom Aquinas

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2012 - 23:53

Vintage nib gold scrapping is not a tolerated hobby here at FPN, you're warned......Is as melting the crowns of the Visigoth Kings or the gold Spanish doubloons...or close to it.

In the late 1960s Parker made caps and barrels for a limited edition Parker 75 from melted down Spanish silver coins salvaged from a treasure ship.

Edited by Tom Aquinas, 26 August 2012 - 23:53.

#32 mtraug11

mtraug11

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:18

So with all this info about the price of gold, what justifies the high cost differential in a gold vs stainless steel nib on the same pen? Sometimes upward of over $100 more for a gold nib when the only difference in a pen is the nib. I am talking modern pens. Seems like a high markup unless the gold nib is more costly to manufacture, etc. Not judging, just asking. I have been asked before and didn't have a good answer.

#33 ANM

ANM

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,552 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:46

A pen with a gold nib or a gold ring, or a gold anything is going to cost more for the item than the melt down price. If it didn't, no one would spend the time to make it. If I made rings out of gold for a living and sold it raw material cost, I'd go broke. Gold cost more per weight than stainless steel.

Edited by ANM, 27 August 2012 - 03:48.

And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

#34 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,474 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:58

When you melt down gold you have to pay for the melt down, in the gold is divided out in 333, 585 and 750. Some one puts his mark on your tiny little bitty gold 'bar', saying yep....14 K.

I'd expect you to be able to get a six pack of beer for a nib, if you got enough nibs to make it worth while to melt down.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For that get a 'flexi' or a "flex" nib.

"

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens only; not the users of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#35 tmcneil82

tmcneil82

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:52

I was thinking about this the other week when I came across a box of pens at a flea market that had all of their nibs removed. If only there was a way to get a website out there with enough exposure to offer people better prices for their "junk" nibs.

I don't even want to think about how many large and rare nibs have met the meltdown fate.