Please help me choose my first Japanese pen / nib

carlosjaviercontreras

Hi guys,

I made a quick review and took some photographs of a friend's Sailor Professional Gear for my website. Now I'm hooked and plan to get me my first Japanese Pen.

I already own a MB 149 and was toying with the idea of getting a MB 146 to have something with a smaller girth in a similar design. For me, a MB is a wonderful pen that's sold for 2 ½ to 3 times its real worth so – after 4 MBs – I prefer to get something with a better price/value ratio.

Enter Sailor. I really liked the big nib on my friend's Pro Gear. My general inclination is to go for the 1911 (the big one) but I'm still considering the Pro Gear. I've ruled out the Realo as I do not particularly care for piston fillers vs. cartridge converters. As a matter of fact, I usually refill cartridges with a syringe to avoid the reduced capacity of converters and the cleaning of the nib / section after refilling from a bottle of ink.

My more important consideration is about nib size. I generally avoid Fine nibs, preferring Medium and Broad ones. I tend to use my MB 114 Mozart a lot because of its delightfully stubish Broad nib. There's always an inked 1.5 mm calligraphy nib not only on my rotation, but on my person. I've attached a sample of my handwriting with my current 6 inked pens.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4065/4418216782_39954c898b_b.jpg

Does a Sailor Music nib provide a stubish line? What about a Zoom nib?

Now that we are at it, what about a Platinum Music Nib Collection The Maestro Black Fountain Pen?

What about a Sailor Sapporo Series. My provider carries that one with a Music nib and it is very cheap (almost half the price) compared to the 1911. Is it too small?

Thanks in advance,

carlosjaviercontreras.

Edited by carlosjaviercontreras

Mi blog "Mis Plumas Fuente" contiene evaluaciones en lengua Castellana, muestras de escritura y fotografías originales de las plumas en mi colección.

Visítenos en http://misplumasfuente.wordpress.com/

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• carlosjaviercontreras

• Blackforest

• Sailor Kenshin

• lifeisnice03

Your handwriting is very nice and legible with a relatively broad nib. I think you would suit a music nib or another very broad one. Bear in mind that broad nibbed Japanese pens tend to be about the same line width as a medium Western nib. So you have a number of options:

- Platinum/Sailor/Pilot Music nibs

- Sailor speciality nibs (cross music, architect, etc)

- Danitrio stub and flexible stub (especially on the larger pens)

- Nakaya Music (essentially the same as a Platinum music)

Of course, there are plenty of options when you consider have a nib custom ground but the above is a good starting point for stock nibs.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

Your handwriting is very nice and legible with a relatively broad nib. I think you would suit a music nib or another very broad one. Bear in mind that broad nibbed Japanese pens tend to be about the same line width as a medium Western nib. So you have a number of options:

Of course, there are plenty of options when you consider have a nib custom ground but the above is a good starting point for stock nibs.

Thanks for the links Siv,

After reading them, I'm having second thoughts about the Sailor Music Nib for the stated need to hold the pen almost perpendicular to the paper. I tend to use a 70-75 degrees angle instead. But your comments point me to the Sailor Zoom nib.

A Danitrio stub looks pretty interesting.

Mi blog "Mis Plumas Fuente" contiene evaluaciones en lengua Castellana, muestras de escritura y fotografías originales de las plumas en mi colección.

I can answer one thing: the Sapporo isn't too small if you post the cap. It's *very* small unposted. But it's so light that posting is very balanced and comfortable.

Steve

I can answer one thing: the Sapporo isn't too small if you post the cap. It's *very* small unposted. But it's so light that posting is very balanced and comfortable.

Hi sjs,

I try to avoid posting my pens. The exceptions are my MB 114 Mozart and MB Bohème that both have a threaded barrel end that engages the threads in the cap. On the other hand, I can write with an unposted Pelikan m150 with no problems whatsoever, so a Sapporo might well fit the bill for me.

I know refusing to post a pen is a little weird, but I’ve got plenty of similar odd behaviors. For example, I avoid moving a laptop while it’s on. I sometimes do, but generally use them on firm / flat surfaces. Even my Linux server, which usually runs uninterrupted for months, gets shut down before being move. My wife says crazy people collect fountain pens, use them unposted and continually shuts down computers :roflmho:.

Thanks for the links Siv,

After reading them, I'm having second thoughts about the Sailor Music Nib for the stated need to hold the pen almost perpendicular to the paper. I tend to use a 70-75 degrees angle instead. But your comments point me to the Sailor Zoom nib.

A Danitrio stub looks pretty interesting.

I have a Sailor Music nib and have no problems writing with it. My writing angle is something like 60° .

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

I have a Sailor Music nib and have no problems writing with it. My writing angle is something like 60° .

Do you get line variation with a Sailor Music nib? How broad is it?

Thanks guys, I have a clearer view now. Please keep your comments coming.

you can get sailor young profit zoom nib pen. it is very cheap and nice pen..

I was thinking exactly that. Instead of a 1911 full size, get me both the Zoom and the Music nibs in 2 different Sailor 1911M's. On the other side, a 146-sized pen is calling for me. Choices, choices.

Where can you get it, especially if you live in the CONUS?

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Where can you get it, especially if you live in the CONUS?

sorry i dont know about the other countries but you can get in Japan....you can get around 5,250JPY

Do you get line variation with a Sailor Music nib? How broad is it?

Thanks guys, I have a clearer view now. Please keep your comments coming.

Yes, I do get some variation, but not as much as I'd get from a cursive italic nib. The vertical stroke is 1.2mm and the horizontal stroke is .6mm.

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

sorry i dont know about the other countries but you can get in Japan....you can get around 5,250JPY

wow - that's a pretty good price! can you point us to an online-vendor? is this pen also avail. in rhodium trim?

we are talking about this pen:

http://www.sailor.co.jp/BUNGU/profit_standard/index.html

the official page says the rec. retail price is 12.000 yens - around 130US$.

regards

+christian

okay, have found it. this is the Profit Yang pen - not the Profit (my fault). ebay.com lists them for 62US$. that's indeed very very cheap. does anybody know if "zoom" is an option for Yang as well?

regards

christian

Actually that's the Fude de mannen, which is not at all like the Zoom. Actually, I like it, as it's capable of more line variation than the Zoom. It's one of those "bent" nibs--the same idea as the "Fude", which is available on the higher end Sailor pens, but it's steel and of course a lot cheaper. Works fairly well for Asian brushstroke-like lines.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

Can't see the pic---but I think that's what I have. A deep navy Sailor that LOOKS superficially like the 1911, with a bent-up, but untipped, nib.

I LOVE it. It's one of my favorite pens, regardless of cost. I was told this is the Profit Special Script.

Sailor also makes those untipped bent-nib pens in a 'bamboo'

style and I have a few of those, with varying nib angles.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

i know - the nib looks pretty ordinary... i got it for 19US$ though and it sure does look like an interesting writer... it IS the deep blue cigar shaped pen (sells for 29.99 with con and two carts normally in a blister package...)

regards

christian

ps> i am not sure if the Yang Profit comes with a "zoom" - just seen it with a "music" online. also the texture of the pen looks bit weird to me..?