Welcome to …. Name That Parker!

pb2

This old Button Filler has discolored nicely over the yearsand maintained a sweet elegance.

Who's got the answers?

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab272/pendletonII/IMG_7696.jpg

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab272/pendletonII/IMG_7691.jpg

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab272/pendletonII/IMG_7689.jpg

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab272/pendletonII/IMG_7699.jpg

BTW, This pen is not for sale.

Edited by pb2

pendletonspens.com

~ May the Lord smile on you ~

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pb2

• Buzz J

• NABodie

• sumgaikid

Top Posters In This Topic

A thrift pen?

I would've said that or a Parker Moderne,but it doesn't have the clip that is held on the top of the pen.

there is a captop instead.

But it certainly looks like a Thrift Time,Moderne or Premiere. that's the type of celluloid that would've

been used on any one of the three.

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

Hey I like guessing games. Nice way to learn.

So duofold looking feed, but no name on barrel.

Simple one band on cap, but never seen a rounded 'top' or inner cap on a Parker before.

Did Moderne or larger Premier pens have flat tops or more rounded ones like in photos?

Quick Edit: got beat to the punch w/my guesses but at least wasn't alone. ; )

Edited by Pensee

Did Moderne or larger Premier pens have flat tops or more rounded ones like in photos?

The earlier Modernes had flat tops like the Duofolds but the later ones have a more rounded top and blind cap kinda like what is pictured on the pen in question.

I think the Modernes have it. I am reasonably convinced it's a later model Moderne with missing clip.smile.gif

Thanks for the concencus.

This old Button Filler has discolored nicely over the yearsand maintained a sweet elegance.

Who's got the answers?

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab272/pendletonII/IMG_7696.jpg

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab272/pendletonII/IMG_7691.jpg

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab272/pendletonII/IMG_7689.jpg

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab272/pendletonII/IMG_7699.jpg

BTW, This pen is not for sale.

pendletonspens.com

Not so fast!

There were several models involved in the depression/thrift time genre. The two that kind of had names (via the Canadian editions) - Premiere and Moderne both had flat buttons to attach the clip. Premiere's button was matching plastic and Moderne's was brass with the thinnest gold wash known to man. Another distinguishing characteristic of Premieres and Modernes was a matching blind cap.

Modernes came in quite a wide variety of colors and the Premiere in somewhat less.

The subject pen falls into the third group which hasn't an official name that I call "Duofoldish". While smaller than traditional Duofolds, they replicate Duofold shape & characteristics like the BHR buttons on top & bottom. These buttons appear both flat like the bottom of this pen and rounded like the top (although typically you'd like them to match). I've only seen three or four colors of Duofoldish.

The fourth group, I call "PreChallengers" since they presage the formal Challenger. These appear in colors similar to early Challengers.

The fifth group, I call "Steptops". As you would guess, they have stepped ends. These were very nice pens with triple bands in the thin/thick/thin configuration. Steptops show up regularly in three (or four?) colors.

As this question seems to recur, I'll try to throw together a collage photo in the next couple days.

Cheers,

John

so many pens, so little time.......

You Rock John!

Not so fast!

There were several models involved in the depression/thrift time genre. The two that kind of had names (via the Canadian editions) - Premiere and Moderne both had flat buttons to attach the clip. Premiere's button was matching plastic and Moderne's was brass with the thinnest gold wash known to man. Another distinguishing characteristic of Premieres and Modernes was a matching blind cap.

Modernes came in quite a wide variety of colors and the Premiere in somewhat less.

The subject pen falls into the third group which hasn't an official name that I call "Duofoldish". While smaller than traditional Duofolds, they replicate Duofold shape & characteristics like the BHR buttons on top & bottom. These buttons appear both flat like the bottom of this pen and rounded like the top (although typically you'd like them to match). I've only seen three or four colors of Duofoldish.

The fourth group, I call "PreChallengers" since they presage the formal Challenger. These appear in colors similar to early Challengers.

The fifth group, I call "Steptops". As you would guess, they have stepped ends. These were very nice pens with triple bands in the thin/thick/thin configuration. Steptops show up regularly in three (or four?) colors.

As this question seems to recur, I'll try to throw together a collage photo in the next couple days.

Cheers,

John

pendletonspens.com

You Rock John!

Not so fast!

Cheers,

John

pendletonspens.com

Here's some examples of the five mentioned depression era Parkers.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn312/BuzzJ/TTexamples.jpg

Left to right:

Premiere

Moderne

Two examples of "Duofoldish"

"Pre Challenger"

"Step Ends"

Subtle differences in many cases, but distinct enough in my mind. Premieres, Modernes and Pre Challenger were one size pens and pencils. Duofoldish and Step Ends were available in two sizes with the smaller size available with clip or ringtop.

All featured the generic "Parker Pen, Made in USA" nib. The imprints mostly read "Geo. S. Parker PARKER Made in U.S.A.". The Canadian made Premieres and Modernes imprints also included the pen name.

This information is based on my observations as there is precious little Parker documentation about these not ready for prime time pens.

Regards,

John

Edited by Buzz J

so many pens, so little time.......

Wow, this is very cool. The pen is not like the Modern you have pictured, and certainly compares to 3 & 4 "Doufoldish"; more like 4 except for the rounded blind cap. It is the smaller version you mentioned, and is perhaps missin it's clip as there is no RT hole. Then again, the "lid" could be misleading. I would love to find a clip for this.

Left to right:

Premiere

Moderne

"Pre Challenger"

"Step Ends"

Subtle differences in many cases, but distinct enough in my mind. Premieres, Modernes and Pre Challenger were one size pens and pencils. Duofoldish and Step Ends were available in two sizes with the smaller size available with clip or ringtop.

All featured the generic "Parker Pen, Made in USA" nib. The imprints mostly read "Geo. S. Parker PARKER Made in U.S.A.". The Canadian made Premieres and Modernes imprints also included the pen name.

This information is based on my observations as there is precious little Parker documentation about these not ready for prime time pens.

Regards,

John

pendletonspens.com

Double WoW! I just received an exact duplicate of the rose marbled "Pre Challenger" in the mail but wit a no-name clip. Has the Parker nib, name and 3 rings and is like a duplicate. Are these generally hard to find? I found mine in my mailbox.

Wow, this is very cool. The pen is not like the Modern you have pictured, and certainly compares to 3 & 4 "Doufoldish"; more like 4 except for the rounded blind cap. It is the smaller version you mentioned, and is perhaps missin it's clip as there is no RT hole. Then again, the "lid" could be misleading. I would love to find a clip for this.

Left to right:

Premiere

Moderne

"Pre Challenger"

"Step Ends"

Regards,

John

pendletonspens.com