Iroshizuku Yu-Yake

carpedavid

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2767/4396663034_dbf673dbde_b.jpg

The Iroshizuku inks by Pilot are quickly becoming my favorite brand. I started my Iroshizuku collection with Yu-Yake (Sunset), which is a delightful burnt orange that I would describe as somewhere between a sunset and the color of autumn leaves. It is a very saturated orange, though it exhibits significant shading in a wide nib. In a fine nib, the shading is reduced, though still apparent.

One of the characteristics I like about the Iroshizuku inks in general is their relatively quick drying time, which makes them good candidates for journaling. In a Moleskine journal, this ink does exhibit some feathering, though show-through and bleed-through are minimal. It is an easy-flowing ink, and I have had no trouble using it in any pen.

The Yu-Yake is a very vibrant color, though easy to read. I have had no trouble using it for daily use, but it would be an unlikely candidate for business use.

As with the other Iroshizuku inks, Yu-Yake comes in a beautiful, solid, 50 ml bottle. The bottle has a depression in the base to allow for the last drops to be claimed with ease. The only drawback to this ink is the cost – for a comparable volume, Iroshizuku tends to run 50 to 100% more than other inks.

Iroshizuku Yu-Yake is highly recommended.

seize the dave - a little bit about a lot of stuff: ink reviews, poetry, short fiction, and more
my ink reviews

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• carpedavid

• tawanda

• nvbrennan

• Ed Ronax

The only drawback to this ink is the cost – for a comparable volume, Iroshizuku tends to run 50 to 100% more than other inks.

Iroshizuku Yu-Yake is highly recommended.

But they are lovely colours and kind of hard to match. Also well behaved inks and I don't worry about them staining or clogging as much as I do with Noodlers et al. Nice review and love the italic handwriting. I've only inked a pen up with this once and think I must have had some black still in the pen as it was a very burnt orange, kind of put me off but think I must have messed up with it. Might try this again when I regain access to my inks currently in storage.

Lovely bright colour, thanks.

And how can this be, because he is the Kwisatz Haderach.

I agree they are lovely, and its difficult to find closely comparable shades that are cheaper. But the cost! :crybaby: It costs more in shipping charges to the UK from Japan than the ink itself, so the price more than doubles. And, to add insult to injury, if I buy two or more bottles (saving on postage) I am liable for customs duties, too! :bonk:

I wish they would allow a UK dealership.

Thanks, everyone. This was my first ink review, so I'm still learning a bit.

To clarify, the drying time of "quick" can be quantified as such. After conducting a smear test, the drying times are wildly different based on the paper involved. On an absorbent paper like a Moleskine or Ecosystem journal, the ink dries in 2 seconds. On a less absorbent paper, like the Rhodia 80g paper I wrote the review on, it took a good 15 seconds to dry.

Also, to clarify the instruments used: for the wide strokes, I used a Lamy 1.1mm steel calligraphy nib on a Lamy Safari. For the fine strokes, I used a Lamy XF steel nib on a Lamy Safari.

seize the dave - a little bit about a lot of stuff: ink reviews, poetry, short fiction, and more
my ink reviews

welcome to FPN! that's a very nice orange. too bad this inks are sooooooooooooo expensive! :embarrassed_smile:

Many thanks for the nice scan; your handwriting looks great and the ink shows some really nice shading this way.

Actually to me yy-yake is more towards a yellow-orange than it shows in your scan on my monitor (orange inks are difficult to scan; almost as difficult as turquoise blue inks).

I prefer the darker and more red-orange fuyu-gaki for writing.

Cheers

Michael

• 7 months later...

Your sample is truly impressive. What pen and/or nib did you use?

thanks

Thanks! I used a Lamy 1.1mm steel calligraphy nib on a Lamy Safari for the wide strokes. For the narrow strokes, I used an EF steel Lamy nib on a Lamy Safari.

my ink reviews

Did you use a dry nib? My writing samples are all much brighter, and I mean that in a vibrant, leads to aching eyes way.

This was my very first review, and I don't think I got the scan looking quite right. This is a hard ink to scan, as it tends to get washed out. So yes, IRL, the ink is more vibrant than shown here.

my ink reviews