Montblanc 220

Pfhorrest

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss61/Pfhorrest/Img00415.jpg

Pictures brought to you by the crappiest camera on FPN! I hope you don't mind.

I picked up this pen on eBay (as I normally do) for around $110. Now, just the fact that I bought this is a departure from my normal behavior, as I always, always try out pens at a store or boutique before I buy them on the internet. Otherwise, any vintage pens that I buy must be under $20. Usually, I do this so as not to be disappointed with the pen that I receive, but I was willing to take a chance on this Montblanc.

Appearance-wise, it very much resembles the Lamy 2000 in terms of finish and shape. However, opening the pen reveals a completely different writing instrument overall. While the Lamy is designed as a piece of modern fountain pen engineering, the Montblanc is very much a classic design which just happens to be a bit spiced up by the unusual finish (for the time) and the nib design. I must say, I really like everything about this pen, from its writing properties to its finish and ergonomics and robustness.

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss61/Pfhorrest/Img00410.jpg

I was expecting the plastic to feel a bit more fragile. I really believe this pen could stand up to many years of daily use. Scratches are obviously not a big issue, as any micro-nicks and chips will be lost in the brushed finish of the plastic.

The clip is a geometric design which I prefer over the rounder clips of the vintage Meisterstuck 12 and 14 series. The cap clicks to the barrel with the exactly same mechanism that the Lamy 2000 employs, however the Montblanc's cap connectors are tucked away into the area where the section meets the barrel and so does not irritate any part of the hand while writing. There is a minuscule, faceted ink window which is much too small to read the ink level, but which accentuates the otherwise unbroken brushed finish of the pen. Obviously, this is a carryover from the vintage MB piston fillers of the day.

It takes either short or long international size cartridges. The cartridge rim fits over the nipple with a firm, audible snap.

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss61/Pfhorrest/Img00412.jpg

Due to the brushed finish of the pen, your hand 'grabs' the little recesses in the plastic and makes for a very pleasurable, comfortable writing experience. Although the pen isn't the thickest one around, it's not super-thin either, and its size would be just right for most pen users (myself included).

The nib is very similar to that of the vintage Lamy Ratio (67, 68) series in the fact that it is flat, semi-hooded, and uses a feed that contains the actual feeder on the underside of the nib. This way, the pen can be uncapped for 1-2 mins and only take the slightest nudging to start right up. I like this arrangement, as I can leave my pen uncapped or the cap posted while I think about what to write instead of constantly having to cap/uncap as with finned feeder pens.

It's a 14 carat BB (Double-Broad) gold nib with full flex. From the nib, I can see how Montblanc got an early reputation for high quality nibs. The tipping is round, generous, and perfectly formed, and it is one of the smoothest, if not the smoothest, pen in my arsenal. It's very wet, and the underfeed holds plenty of ink to keep up with the flow. Now, the writing sample doesn't show the flex, as I don't actually know how to use a flex nib properly, and I'm afraid I might do something to the nib.

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss61/Pfhorrest/Img00416.jpg

In conclusion, this is a really great pen! Fit and finish are very precise, it's tough and sturdy, and (most important) it writes like a dream. And at $100-120 for true Montblanc quality, it will leave your hand, conscience, and wallet happy.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Pfhorrest

The sword is mightier than the pen. However, swords are now obsolete whereas pens are not.

-Unknown

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blade Runner

• jar

• Pfhorrest

• Bops

Wow! Aside from the clip and star I would have taken that as a L2K at first glance. Great review and another pen I'll have to add to my list. Thanks!

Nice review. The 220 is a great pen. Mine is a piston fill and yet it is almost impossible to see where the end cap begins.

I just won a Montblanc 320 on ebay. Cartridge filler, 14kt gold F nib, with a bit of flex. It seems to be the glossy black plastic version of your 220, as your description aligns perfectly with my 320. My pen writes beautifully, and I am very happy with my purchase ($47, including shipping!).

I have the 220 with brushed finish and an oblique broad nib. It really is nice in the hand and extremely light-weight. Enjoy yours!

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

I have the 224 which is the gold plated cap variant of your pen but with a piston filler. I love the pen. Thanks for your review, you got it for a great price, win world jp?

Best,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Nice wallet. How do you like it? How many credit cards can it hold?

It's a 6cc, meaning six credit cards. It was a gift and I do like it very much.

The sword is mightier than the pen. However, swords are now obsolete whereas pens are not.

-Unknown

• 1 year later...

I just picked up a Brushed 220 off the forum here, and I can't wait to get it. This was a great review! Mine differs from yours in that I have an OB nib installed on mine, so I guess it's only a minor difference.

Edited for spelling and apology for resurecting an old thread... :headsmack:

Edited by bigmac53

MB 149 - MB 220 - Pelikan M250 - Parker 51 - Parker Urban - Hero 616

Thanks for this nice review of an underestimated MB.

I have the piston filling version and the cartridge version of the 220 and like both. The cartridge pen is the one for the Diamine mixed carts that come with the bottled ink. B)

The 220 is the MB that is in between vintage and modern. The nibs are writing nicely but are lacking the stubbish character of the older ones. On the other hand those nibs are the last ones with a nice amount of flex. The later ones (beginning with my 144 Classique) are on the stiffer side.

If you are looking for an affordable MB, the 220 is worth looking.

I just won a Montblanc 320 on ebay. Cartridge filler, 14kt gold F nib, with a bit of flex. It seems to be the glossy black plastic version of your 220, as your description aligns perfectly with my 320. My pen writes beautifully, and I am very happy with my purchase ($47, including shipping!).

That's quite a steal, I paid my 320 over $100 and considered that a good deal!

Help? Why am I buying so many fountain pens?

• 4 years later...

I've been researching the 220 (want to add to my collection) and am a little confused.

I've see the 220 with a piston and with cartridge systems. Have also see the brushed and smooth finish.

Are all these genuine variations to the model or has the seller got it wrong?

I've been researching the 220 (want to add to my collection) and am a little confused.

I've see the 220 with a piston and with cartridge systems. Have also see the brushed and smooth finish.

Are all these genuine variations to the model or has the seller got it wrong?

The 220 body is brushed except sometimes on part on the section. Some had a smooth finish right at the very end of the section near the nib. All 220s are piston filled but there is also the 220P that uses a cartridge.

or like the L2K the brushed look sometimes develops a patina that "squishes" the brush look a lot of people says the bare similarities between the 2 pens... its also coincidence the pens were manufactured near the same era... using the same material maybe makrolon... almost in the same price range... almost bears the same design not to mention tool free assembly

Edited by Algester