• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karmachanic

• amberleadavis

• taimdala

• inkstainedruth

Labeled "Miquel Rius" on its Web site, Barnes & Noble sells these 300-sheet journals for $10 in their stores, less online for members.

If the paper is good, these look like a great deal. Anyone have any experience with them?

I've tried some Miquelrius notebooks, but not that one. My experience with them has been very good. Give that one a try and stock if you like it; it's a nice price.

Juan

In my experience the paper of "Miquel Rius" journals is in general pretty thin (70gr/m² at most) and not well suited for FPs (not for wet Ms or Bs at least, ok for F or XF I guess). They also produce better notebooks with denser paper, so maybe it is better to ask about paper density of this particular book before buying.

In my current rotation:

Pelikan 400 Brown Tortoise/14K Fine/J. Herbin Cafe des Iles

Lamy 2000/14K Medium/Lamy Blue-Black

Sailor 1911 Large burgundy/21K Naginata Togi Medium/Diamine Oxblood

Montblanc 146/14K Fine/Montblanc Racing Green

Rosetta blue/Steel Pendelton cursive italic/Pelikan Royal Blue

Delta Passion/18K Broad/Diamine Syrah

I've used several Miquelrius notebooks with various FPs and always found them fantastic quality. I'm using one as a Pen/Ink test journal now nad have writeen in it with anything from x/f to BB, using a variety of inks. I've had no show- or bleedthough whatsoever.

But make sure the paper has Miquelrius written in the centre of the inside margin. The notebook I see there looks very similar to one found in Paperchase stores in the UK. The paper is cheap, thin and I'm almost certain not by Miquelrius, or if it is, it may be some budget range.

I use the Miquelrius wire bound journals and they mostly have 70g paper, the diplomat (striped cover) having 90g paper. This soft bound book with graph paper has 70g at most, paper is pretty thin. When I used the 70g paper in the wire bound books I don't get bleed thru except when using BayState Blue ink, which bleeds through most paper anyway. I, personally, love Miquelrius notebooks, including the one shown.

I use this book as my work notebook. The graph lines work out great for me since my handwriting is quite small and I get to have some guide lines when drawing ERDs and DFDs (database design stuff).

The paper feels thin but I haven't noticed much of a bleed thru using a FP and I use both the sides of the sheet. That said my pen writes between a dry to medium wet.

One thing though, you need to go thru at least 1/3rd of the book before it will lay flat. On the other hand you do have an unseen added advantage... at 300 pages, this book is a deceptively effective weapon when used to whack somebody upside the head :lol:

Alex

Labeled "Miquel Rius" on its Web site, Barnes & Noble sells these 300-sheet journals for $10 in their stores, less online for members.

If the paper is good, these look like a great deal. Anyone have any experience with them?

http://www.nerdtests.com/images/badge/nt2/8997a0b8cb55cda0.png

I had a smaller version of this notebook and eventually gave up on it because pages I had written on would randomly detach from the binding. My experience may well be anomaly, though. Lots of people are in love with these.

I'm guessing you are receiving a variety of yay/nay responses because Miquelrius uses about 4 or 5 different kinds of papers in their journals. Some are FP friendly and some are not. I once bought one from Pendemonium that they claimed to be FP friendly and it bled like a stuck pig. (Got rid of it prior to my doing reviews)

FWIW, this was the information I received from the Office Manager at Miquelrius in September of 2008. (From their 2008 catalog) I am sure they have had changes to their product line since that time, but it will give you an idea of the range in paper weights:

Spiral Bounds:

Quadro Notebook 2 – 70 gr/m2

Diplomatic Notebook 4 – 90 gr/m2

Stripes Notebook 4 – 70 gr/m2

Smoke Spot Notebook 4 – 70 gr/m2

Notebook 4 – 70 gr/m2

Eco Notebook – 70 gr/m2 (100% ecological paper)

Polypropylene 06 Notebook 4 – 70 gr/m2

Polypropylene 02 Notebook 4 – 70 gr/m2

Polypropylene 02 Notebook 6 – 70 gr/m2

Polyproylene Notebook 1 – 70 gr/m2

DCK Meridian Notebook 4 – 70 gr/m2

DCK Colours Notebook 4 – 70 gr/m2

Agatha Ruiz de la Prada Basic 08 Notebook 4 – 70 gr/m2

Agatha Ruiz de la Prada Children 08 Notebook 1 – 70 gr/m2

Agatha Ruiz de la Prada Patch and Flowers Notebook 4 – 70 gr/m2

Jordi Labanda Hey Day Notebook 4 – 70 gr/m2

Jordi Labanda Popstars Notebook 4 – 70 gr/m2

Jordi Labanda “3D” 08 Notebook 4 – 70 gr/m2

Kukuxumusu 08 Cardboard Notebook 4 – 70 gr/m2

Kukuxumusu Polypropylene 08 Notebook 4 – 70 gr/m2

Kukuxumusu Cardboard Notebook 4 – 70 gr/m2

Antonio Miro Notebook 4 miro acacias – 70 gr/m2

Other:

Jordi Labanda Girls Memo Book – 90 gr/m2

Jordi Labanda Notes 08 – 100 gr/m2

Jordi Labanda Notebook (boardbound) – 100 gr/m2

DCK Boardbound Notebook – 90 gr/m2

Agatha Ruiz de la Prada Leather-look – 80 gr/m2

Miquelrius Flexible Notebooks - 70 gr/m2 for regular and pocket sizes

Miquelrius Leather-look Notebooks – 70 gr/m2

Miquelrius Design Boardbound Notebook – 90 gr/m2

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

:clap1: Yay for BiffyBeans!

I have the one in the Original Poster's post - Paper's okay (I only use japanese fine nibs in these) but the thickness of the notebook combined with the size and soft cover makes it rather awkward to write in.

• 8 years later...

Coming to this late--way late!--but I want to add my thoughts to this thread.

1. I LOVE this notebook

The medium soft bound journal in black is still available online at Barnes & Noble. (Link) It has 300 sheets/600 pages and I use it for bullet/journaling.

2. I haven't tried to use my fountain pens in it, as I prefer a waterproof ink in case it gets rained on/falls into the tub/doused in coffee. However, it would be the perfect thing to use my fountain pens in, due to the fact I would then use my fountain pens every day.

Any suggestions as to which nib/ink pairings would do well with the 70 g/m2 paper it's printed in?

3. Occasionally, B&N will release the journal with a red cover. I buy those whenever possible, no matter what. My intention is to journal in these and on every year ending in 5 and 0, I will swap from the black to the red cover. So far, I have about 12 black covered journals and 5-6 red ones ... I think.

4. I miss the old MQ site online, (shop.miquelrius) because I could order them directly from the MFR. Back when it was still open as a shopping site (as opposed to a showcase site today), you could order them in black, red, blue, and green; in ruled or graph paper; in a cute little 4 x 6 inch size (100/200/300 sheets), my favorite 5.25 x 8.25 size (100/200/300 sheets), and extra small 3.5 x 4 size (100/200/300 sheets). They also have the option to get plain pages in the extra small and the medium sizes in their genuine leather cover line (elastic band, ribbon markers, perfed pages, back pocket).

Alas, that website is gone. Sighh ... and I didn't get to stock up on the blue covered version, which I adore and have only ONE of.

5. I've been buying these like crazy in my local B&N stores. Where I live I have 6 within 25 miles and another a mere 40 minutes away I can buy these from (and have!) It might be Quixotic to do so but I'm hoping that my constant buying of these will mean the stores will keep them in stock. I have noticed that they seem to be on the shelves more frequently after I buy them. Or it could just be my imagination. ;)

6. Does anyone know where I can get these in other sizes and colors besides B&N and the scalpers' prices on Amazon? (I mean, really? 19.99 or more for the same thing I can get on B&N's site/stores for 9.95?)

Yeah.... I better stop here, else I'll be here all night. Cheers, everyone, and thanks for starting this thread!

I have one in Red. I purchased it for Morning Pages and its fine for that purpose. Once full it gets recycled. I get occasional bleed-through with wet/broad nibs. Shading is minimal and no colour variation from inks that exhibit that characteristic.

For journaling and corrspondence I prefer Tomoe as the inks show magnificently.

I don't live in the US, so I'm of no help regarding stockists and colours.

Add lightness and simplicate.

These are now my go-to morning pages journals. I have had some issues with pages detaching (they're glued, not sewn) but overall they're pretty good, and the paper is relatively FP friendly (and are heavier weight than Tomoe River, so you can use both sides of the page.

I recently got an order of a bunch of them (I went through 6 in the space of about 2 years) and had some trouble getting them -- Miquelrius-USA no longer does online sales directly but pointed me to a place called OM Online. Not much selection for colors, and I have been completely unable to get any of the blank pages ones, but I now have enough (a dozen of the 6.5" x 8" ones) to last me for a few years. Even if they are all with black covers.... :(

The price I paid last spring was $14.99 US per. So a little more than I paid for the first batch, but still not too bad.

Standard disclaimer applies: no affiliations with either company than as a happy customer.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

These are now my go-to morning pages journals. I have had some issues with pages detaching (they're glued, not sewn) but overall they're pretty good, and the paper is relatively FP friendly (and are heavier weight than Tomoe River, so you can use both sides of the page.

I recently got an order of a bunch of them (I went through 6 in the space of about 2 years) and had some trouble getting them -- Miquelrius-USA no longer does online sales directly but pointed me to a place called OM Online. Not much selection for colors, and I have been completely unable to get any of the blank pages ones, but I now have enough (a dozen of the 6.5" x 8" ones) to last me for a few years. Even if they are all with black covers.... :(

The price I paid last spring was $14.99 US per. So a little more than I paid for the first batch, but still not too bad.

Standard disclaimer applies: no affiliations with either company than as a happy customer.

Hey there, inkstainedruth! (*waves*)

Would you have the link to the OM Online site, by any chance? Thank you! ^_^

Search Basicos A5. Same notebook. $13.69 on A**zon

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

Search Basicos A5. Same notebook. $13.69 on A**zon

Thank you, Karmachanic! That was two and a half pages of shopping fun! ^_^ I will bookmark it in my browser.

Hey there, inkstainedruth! (*waves*)

Would you have the link to the OM Online site, by any chance? Thank you! ^_^

(Waves back)

I dug through old emails and found the invoice they sent me last spring:

http://miquelriusshops.com

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 3 weeks later...

I love these notebooks and I have more than 3 that are filled. These are amazing for any price but especially for that price.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY